OCZ SSDS

ZodaEX

Supreme [H]ardness
Who here still has an OCZ SSD in active use? 5 out of the 6 i've purchase have all failed. Still have a 30GB original Vertex in my backup PC.

No, all dead and forgotten.

Too bad, I had a really good 500 W power supply from them.

Ah OCZ.... they was da bomb back when I had B&W G3/Silver G4 Macs....

But I haven't used any of their stuff since then, so I don't know of anyone who still has any of their ssd's in use, but given that they were really well made for their era, it would not surprise me to hear that some are still kickin :)

Have a 60GB Vertex 2 in use as the Data drive for BOINC. Putting it to the test as it's getting ~2TB of writes a day to it. Then I have a 120GB Vertex 4 that is in another PC...that will die before the Vertex 2 though lol.

Sadly they all died in the line of duty around a decade ago.
I remember their OCZ Agility was one of the first SSDs to have TRIM support.

In the mid-2000s their desktop RAM was top-tier.
Still using some OCZ DDR2 memory modules in a system dedicated to BOINC tasks.

I have 2 still going strong at 10+ years: A Vertex 3 MaxIOPS 120GB and an Agility 3 240GB. Both have a ton of writes to them and both are still super speedy.

And the Vertex still chirps and titters when in use. Anyone else get that feature with theirs? I think it was a pretty common thing.

memories! when i did my dual psu cooler master stacker case with a Pentium 4 Preshot and went for self proclaimed fastest overclocker P4 in Costa Rica back in 2005...

IMG_7357.JPG
IMG_7359.JPG

IMG_7458.JPG

Had a 60GB Vertex. Man that was my very first SSD. Good times, good times /strangerswithcandy

I have a 60G vertex 2 I used to troubleshoot another system this month. It's likely the oldest drive I have doing something useful. It was my first SSD used in an i7-920 build.

Had a few back in the days of 60GB SSDs being exciting. None of them failed beofre I handed them on in other builds etc.

I threw away my Revo Drive a few years ago. It had already been dead for a few years at that point.

Good times. That thing was fast in a time when real speed was just coming to the desktop.

We ended up with like 100 60GB Vertex drives (Goddamn their implementation of the Sandforce controller) and hot glue gunned them all together and called it the staff of failure.

Every single OCZ SSD I had died. Whereas I still have tons of 80GB Intel SSDs that are just as old still working in systems, acting as cache drives, etc.

I have two OCZ Deneva 2 480 gb drives still going strong. Granted, they are enterprise class rather than consumer.

Had an OCZ Agility 30gb that had needed to be RMAed a week or two after I bought it. I traded the return for a 1000w PSU. The PSU died less than a year later. Couldn't win for losin on that deal. Ran tons of their ddr/ddr2 without a hitch but never touched another SSD.

I had a Vertex (3?) drive that died a bit after the warranty expired. I called them and they offered to do a one-time exchange on it anyway and ended up with a Vertex 4. This was years ago, and that replacement drive just died last year.

memories! when i did my dual psu cooler master stacker case with a Pentium 4 Preshot and went for self proclaimed fastest overclocker P4 in Costa Rica back in 2005...

View attachment 609418View attachment 609419

View attachment 609420
That is awesome, I just can't believe that was nearly 20 years ago, it seems just like yesterday.
Oh nice, you had the OCZ Gold, which allowed for higher voltages.

I remember the Platinum had some of the best timings (2-3-3-5), and I used the Titanium in one of my builds back then.
Those were better times, thanks for sharing!

That is awesome, I just can't believe that was nearly 20 years ago, it seems just like yesterday.
Oh nice, you had the OCZ Gold, which allowed for higher voltages.

I remember the Platinum had some of the best timings (2-3-3-5), and I used the Titanium in one of my builds back then.
Those were better times, thanks for sharing!
Ya, back when we had to use car radiators :D cause water cooling was still not a common thing, where our lights were cold cathode tubes :D

man, does feel like yesterday, simpler times, in my 20's...good job...spend money on what ever!

Yeah, the SSDs were maybe not their greatest products :)

But good for practicing your RAID disk exchange procedures.

Oh man - memories. Running 3+ RAID0 OCZ SSDs in 2006 or something. I happily ditched my 3 WD Velociraptors. I bought multiples of every new SSD OCZ released. Cutting edge. Good times. Expensive times. And then… Optane came out and destroyed everything. Still does. Running P5800Xs now. Stooopid fast.

I had a few OCZ, didn't have any that failed. I guess I've been fortunate. Only 2 SSD died on me so far, crucial BX and a SanDisk plus.

I have two old 120GB Vertex 2 drives still in operation.
They must have contracted these out to someone else for the build, lol!

I remember the first year, OCZ made their SSDs out of a nice thick sturdy metal. Then by year 2 they all became near weightless plastic.

I used to work at Fusion-io before SanDisk bought them. We were constantly competing against OCZ since they were so cheap.

One of my coworkers went to a PoC install so the customer could kick the tires on our ioDrives and compare vs OCZ.

Their first test was to copy files to the ioDrive and reboot. Half their OCZ stuff couldn't even pass that test at the time.

Needless to say, we got that deal =P

Back