OCZ SSD Drives?

budec

Gawd
What's the deal with OCZ SSDs drives? Tons of bad reviews on newegg and interwebs saying they go bad fast. Not that it's significant, but everyone I know with an OCZ drive have seen them fail within 12 months. My lasted 15. Never meet anyone with an Intel or Crucial SSD that has failed on them.

Is there any type of reliability database that's trustworthy and has stats on failure rates or such? Maybe OCZ owners are just more vocal on the internet, but seems odd that Intel or Crucial drives don't have such negative reviews in terms of longevity.

edit:
Not that it means anything, but:
OCZ:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227395
First page:
8 failures
only 2 are 5 star reviews.

Intel : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167035
First Page:
1 failure (DOA)
9 are 5 star reviews.

Last edited:
Newegg/Amazon reviews aren't really the most reliable things if there's a general PR issue going about. In this case, OCZ got raked over the coals for silently switching to slower parts in the Vertex 2 without notifying anyone or changing the SKU.

They've since decided to use new SKUs and swap the slower drives for faster drives but the damage has been done. I'm sure you can find the long story in tons of places.

I'm guessing with that story, tons of people who got DOAs decided to vocally protest their hatred of OCZ. As for whether they actually have a higher failure rate, it's tough to tell.

The only data that I've seen that anyone has bothered to compile was that retailer that posted their return rates. It's not exactly the same thing but it's up to you if you think it's significant.

http://www.behardware.com/articles/810-6/taux-pannes-composants.html

The bad rap for OCZ has nothing to do with failure rates just their slimey marketing for average drives.

NewEgg reviews are the last place you want to use if making a component decision.

From my point of view, you always want your SSD to die somewhere at 9-18 months, so you get a new improved replacement drive :)

They wear out even under the best of circumstances, so far better to have them break before the 24 month warranty then after.

From my point of view, you always want your SSD to die somewhere at 9-18 months, so you get a new improved replacement drive :)

They wear out even under the best of circumstances, so far better to have them break before the 24 month warranty then after.

Now there's someone with a thinking cap on.....and it's working great! :)

Well,

I am one of those whose drive died after 2 weeks of use. Trust me, spending 170 bucks for something with a lifespan this short aint fun. For the money I'd get something else, mate. Honestly I don't see a lot of people that would drop 200-400$ on a SSD, "hoping" it would fail within 18 months, so they get to spend more money on a new one. I am waiting for a replacement, which most probably be sold ASAP. I'd get for the same price 2 slower 64GB SSDs and put them in a RAID0.

Also taking a look at the OCZ forum, their drives seem to be dieing like flies especially when commin out of sleep and hybernation. Others just die with a BSOD.

Cheers

Last edited:
Honestly I don't see a lot of people that would drop 200-400$ on a SSD, "hoping" it would fail within 18 months,
Nobody's hoping anything will fail but if it has to it's to your advantage to do so in the alloted warranty period.

d@rkbl8d, if you did any research you would have known the score with OCZ drives.

Yeah, you're right. I got price-blinded when I was buying it. I guess instead of looking at performance reviews I should have looked at reliability complains, but I hope at least they have decent support and manageable shipping costs. Remember being asked to pay half the retail price of a failed 24 inch ACER for shipping to Ontario.

Cheers

Back