OC'ing GA-UD3P with 8 gig ram....

RIRed48

Limp Gawd
Folks...

I had my mind pretty much made up to get the Gigabyte EP45-UD3P. But, at Anand's forums, "n7" one of the moderators and a few other people, have been having big probs w/ instability when OC'ing that MB w/ all mem slots filled w/ 8 gig of memory...

What do you think? Is this a common thing you have been hearing? Or, this person just happens to have a shaky board or some other borderline component?

Now, I'm leaning to the Asus P5Q-D, but would rather get the Gigabyte UD3P.... GEEZ....I will OC with a E8400...

I guess it depends on how far you're willing to go. I had no issues reaching 3.8GHz with my Q9550, but I had to fight tooth and nail just to make an extra 200MHz to reach 4.0. Thought the gains weren't worth it so I just settled for 3.8.

So...

You think n7's problems with his UD3P is unusual? And that I should not let that stop me from buying that MB?

Also, would you still get that same speed memory, or something a bit faster now?

I was running mine at 500*7 (Q9300) with 8GB of G.Skill PC2 8000 at 800mhz 1.9v 5-5-5-15-2T, no problems at all. I even had at at one point up to 900mhz same timings with no issues.

Right now it's running 24/7 at 400*7.5, 800mhz same timings but at 1.82v and in Turbo mode (latencey around 72ns), MCH at default 1.1v and CPU at 1.18v (1.2v in BIOS). All other voltages are set to normal to avoid auto overvolts.

I do have a 900w AVR UPS and 625w Enermax Modu 82+, so the power it's getting is very clean.

So...

You think n7's problems with his UD3P is unusual? And that I should not let that stop me from buying that MB?

Also, would you still get that same speed memory, or something a bit faster now?

I wouldn't go so far as to say the problems they're running into are unusual, especially without more info about their setups, but I have had no problems with this board. I'd recommend it to anybody.

I'd stick with the same speed memory, I really doubt the memory is limiting my OC; I just don't have the heart to go past 1.4v for the CPU like some of the guys here. :D

Great info, guys... appreciate it.

I guess it seems pretty easy to get @ 3.6-4.0 OC with an E8400. Things get a bit risky when going for @ 4.2-4.4 on air. I have a PCP&C 610W "Silencer" PS and Xigmatek
S1283 cooler...and I just bought 4 stronger 120x25 fans, 3 for the case, and 1 for the Xigmatek... Minebea Kl-4710's... 31dba/ 75cfm / 1900rpm ... and bought a fan controller (Sunbeam)

The UD3P I just bought is running at 475x8.5 (Q9550) with 4x2gb of RAM with no instability.

Forceman...

Did you get faster memory for the new MB, or stay w/ what you had?

And w/ that older rig OC in "sig", did you change any other bios settings? My new setup will be the UD3P or the DQ6 with my existing E8400... and will get 8 new gig of mem and VRaptor 300gig HD w/ Vista 64bit...might also get the GTX280 if funds are there...(ouch)...

Forceman...

Did you get faster memory for the new MB, or stay w/ what you had?

And w/ that older rig OC in "sig", did you change any other bios settings? My new setup will be the UD3P or the DQ6 with my existing E8400... and will get 8 new gig of mem and VRaptor 300gig HD w/ Vista 64bit...might also get the GTX280 if funds are there...(ouch)...

I kept the G.Skill DDR2-1000 I had. I did have to crank up the NB voltage on the P35 board but I don't recall off-hand what it was at. I can check and see if you want.

Back