OC i5 3570K

disq

n00b
Please, can someone help me with this?

My mobo is ASRock Z77 Pro3. Is this fine for a 4.0ghz overclock?

a35814a4_Settings.jpeg

everything seems to be perfect... I would try to keep pushing it at least to 4.4-4.5ghz at least as those chips can reach it with quite easily..

For a 4.4 OC what values would you recommend? Or should i just jump it to 44 and see how it goes with the current settings?

you are actually undervolting your CPU with those settings, which it's certainly doable at that speed, your settings are fine, you may just start to increase the CPU multiplier to 44 and see how it behave, then just start to reduce the negative offset until you find stability.

you can leave all enabled, you will be fine, I used every C state enabled with offest voltage at 4.5ghz since I got the 3770K at launch, that machine it's still working even if I replaced it 2 months ago. never a issue.

You are using a negative offset voltage which I would not use. A negative offset voltage will lower voltages at ALL power levels and could cause problems. Instead try a minimal positive offset voltage and then use a higher CPU Load-Line Calibration level. This will use close to default voltages at all power levels for better stability (especially when C-states are enabled) but allow voltage to droop a bit at max load. This way you will ensure better stability at other power levels but allow some voltage droop at max load where the most heat is produced. And you can easily test for stability at max load by using a stressor program (such as prime95).

As for C-States, if you continue to use a negative offset voltage (not recommended), then you may need to disable them for stability. But if you follow my advice above you should be able to enable or disable C-States as you wish without problems.

My personal experience is that Intel SpeedStep does a pretty good job by itself without ANY C-States enabled. For example, according to my UPS my computer powers down to the same low power usage with just Intel SpeedStep enabled and all C-States disable as it does when I enable all C-States.

That being said there are some differences from Intel SpeedStep alone (all C-States disabled) as compared to Intel SpeedStep with C-States enabled. For example, on my computer (Win7 Pro) windows Power Options work more correctly with just Intel SpeedStep. With the High performance plan the CPU is always at full speed. With Balanced or Power saver plan the CPU throttles when idling. But once I enable C-States (any C-State) the CPU will throttle with ALL plans when idling, even the High performance plan (so High performance plan is not so high performance anymore).

Enabling C-States can also introduce slightly higher latencies. But these are usually pretty small (nano seconds) and won't be a problem for most people.

So my recommendations are:
Intel SpeedStep enabled (works much better than C-States)
Minimum positive Offset Voltage (for stability at all power levels)
Use CPU Load-Line Calibration for max load voltage control (higher level for more voltage droop and less heat, lower level for less droop and better overclock)
All C-States disabled (even C1E) (for slightly lower latencies and allows High performance power paln to work as it should)
Balanced power plan (allows CPU to throttle on idle and with lessor loads)

Note: Power plans can be switched on the fly in windows without needing to reboot. So if you need to switch to High performance plan to prevent CPU throttling you can. No reboot needed! (But this seems to only work properly with ALL C-States disabled!)

Back