Oblivion Nightmare..!!!

TheBlueChanell

Supreme [H]ardness
So, I just spent the Past 3 hours trying to get my hands on Oblivion. I pre-ordered my game through eb games 2 months ago, I get there today to pick it up and they sold my copy. I was livid. The girl, Michelle, who I know pretty well was nice enough to call around to the local Target/BestBuy/WalMart. No where had it, then 5 minutes later Target called us back and said they had it in stock. We went to target and they had the 360 version only. So, we went accross to Best Buy, They didn't have it. The girl from EB called my cell and said her friend at walmart said that they have it, We get to wal-mart, and it's the same story as Target. So, finally I give up and go home. No sooner than 4 blocks from my house, the girl calls back and tells us Best Buy has it in stock. So, I called BB and had them hold a copy. I get there, and they have seem to of lost it. I was so pissed I almost walked out. Then they found it. Rejoice, Sorry about the bad grammar/mechanics I typed this up in seconds Oblivion is installing. Oh, and also, I asked a "Geek Squad" member if they had any Processor Heatsink/Fans and he didn't know what it was. Sure buddy, you're a computer guru. :p

Oh, and also, I asked a "Geek Squad" member if they had any Processor Heatsink/Fans and he didn't know what it was. Sure buddy, you're a computer guru.

lmao.. nice one ;) keep em guessin

Slight deviation from topic:

I had one of the "intelligent" Geek Squad members try to tell me that a WD Protege was better than a Caviar... despite the Protege's 2mg cache and 5400rpm speed.

TheGamerZ said:

I had one of the "intelligent" Geek Squad members try to tell me that a WD Protege was better than a Caviar... despite the Protege's 2mg cache and 5400rpm speed.
LOL...their qualifications must be a joke.

Hopefully, Oblivion won't be that difficult to get...

lol.. about the geeksquad employee...

about the availability of the game.. my local best buy didnt have it

so drove like 20 minutes to the next near store.. and that one had like 40 on the shelve
20 collector's edition and 20 normal ones

The fact that they sold your reserve copy should speak volumes of their dedication to the "pre-order" system

...really :confused: . I loved ES:2/3 but I'm still not impressed by this. I don't think it looks as good as it was hyped to be. Oh, well graphics don't mean shit.

Khaydarin said:
The fact that they sold your reserve copy should speak volumes of their dedication to the "pre-order" system
Amen to that. While EB/Gamestop will probably give you better service, pre-ordering has been and always will be a major rip off. I saved $20 by not pre-ordering and I still ended up with the CE on the first day of release.

I never, ever preorder because of stuff like this. Most of the games that I play, such as Oblivion, are too refined for the GTA-bred masses. I called a few Gamestops and Eb's and they are all like, "Oh dude, you need to reserve a copy."

Then I waltz in there today and grabbed it off the shelf and said, "Reserve Schmerve"

Enjoy the game dude, I know I am....

Same here, I never preorder. Best buy told me they were out yesterday, but as soon as I demanded to talk to someone who worked more than 20 hours a week and was over the age of 18 all the copies magically appeared from the stock room. Apparently the kids were telling everyone that they couldnt sell the game until wednesday. The manager who I talked to made them put it on the shelf after that. What a buch of idiots. On another note, my buddy who pre-ordered from EB didnt get his copy either, as UPS lost the shipment lol. Im starting to notice a trend here. You pay money up front to ensure you have the game on release day, yet on release day, you end up buying it somewhere else that has it in stock and are out the money you put down. EB games pre-order has become a joke IMO.

TheToE! said:
Same here, I never preorder. Best buy told me they were out yesterday, but as soon as I demanded to talk to someone who worked more than 20 hours a week and was over the age of 18 all the copies magically appeared from the stock room. Apparently the kids were telling everyone that they couldnt sell the game until wednesday. The manager who I talked to made them put it on the shelf after that. What a buch of idiots. On another note, my buddy who pre-ordered from EB didnt get his copy either, as UPS lost the shipment lol. Im starting to notice a trend here. You pay money up front to ensure you have the game on release day, yet on release day, you end up buying it somewhere else that has it in stock and are out the money you put down. EB games pre-order has become a joke IMO.
Looks like the BB peons got owned ;) :p

I pre-ordered it at EB Games a few months ago. I got so excited on Friday because they charged my credit card. Well, I got a shipping notice from them on Monday evening stating it had shipped on Monday. I then noticed that they didn't send my order via Fed Ex, but with UPS and I hate UPS because nothing ever comes on time. The tracking info said it was going to be delivered on Tuesday. So Tuesday night (UPS usually comes between 5 to 7PM) goes by and guess what? The game isn't here. Today is Wednesday, and now the UPS tracking info has been updated to state that my game was left behind in a sorting facility in Kentucky on Tuesday morning, but for some reason it didn't get noticed until today. This means that my new scheduled delivery is for tomorrow. I wish I didn't pay for overnight shipping :mad:

I broke down last night and bought it with Direct2Drive. I'll keep my CE anyway and so I'll have a hard copy.

I pre-order because I don't drive anymore. I can't rush to a store on the release day unless I plan ahead and hav e friend or family willing to help, and that's not easy when they live far away.

I never pre-order online because it is very rare that your order gets in faster than your local store would get it in if you pre-ordered there, so what's the point? Especially since you can't cancel after the game ships.

I do pre-order most games I buy at my local EB though. You don't lose any money doing this (I don't know why someone said they saved $20 by not pre-ordering) because if you don't want the game you can just get the money back or roll it over to some other game. If you do get the game then you get your pre-order money deducted from the price (I only put down $5 per title).

For instance, I was affected by the lost copies of Oblivion yesterday so I went to gamestop and bought my copies there instead and then went into EB today and transferred my pre-order money to another game. No money lost and I am lined up for the next big game already... For me pre-orders are basically just insurance on any game I want to get the first day.

(Not being able to reach the store yourself does suck. I am lucky because I work 2 blocks from 2 EB's and that does make my strategy a lot easier. I can just stop by at lunch right after the shipments come in.)

arentol said:
For me pre-orders are basically just insurance on any game I want to get the first day.

Sorry, but pre-order should mean PRE-effing-ORDER. I want to be able to walk into the store show my receipt, slide my card and walk out with game in hand. Otherwise it should be called HAHA!-we got your hopes up and then shafted with a red hot poker-order.

Preordering games is useless... moreso than probably any game in history, MGS 3: Subsistence LE proved that last week. So I didn't preorder this time and I don't plan to again. Getting Oblivion actually wasn't a nightmare for me though. I had a Fry's ad with the game for $37.99 and I PMed at Best Buy for the CE and used a $5 reward zone certificate. So I walked out with the CE for $35 and I can't complain.

TheGamerZ said:

It's not funny when you're the employee you're quoting.

i have a rule i follow when i buy games since 2 years

NEVER PREORDER

i did it twice , both time my game were avaible at other stores and they were cheaper.

arr4ws said:

NEVER PREORDER

i did it twice , both time my game were avaible at other stores and they were cheaper.

First time in my life I did. EB Games preorder.

UPS left the overnight packages in Kentucky. So I call Game Stop (merging with EB Games) and ask if they have "PC COLLECTOR'S EDITIONS." They said they did and would hold one for me. You know what's coming.

Sure enough, Xbox only.

"Sorry for the confusion, sir."

"No problem, I'm going to spend the next two hours travelling to different stores and different towns and finally find one in a Wal-Mart in Monticello, MN." Well, that's not what I said, but that's a long story short.

The EB Games next day delivery showed up yesterday.

arr4ws said:

NEVER PREORDER

That is like giving the game store a cheap loan - I don't pre-order either.

I hate EB Games with a vengence. It seems like they go out of their way to hire douche-bags in my area. I once bought a game at EB and was charged a warranty fee without my asking. I had the exact amount in my hands when the employee told me the BS price. So I gave him a talking to.

I made the mistake of going back to EB this Tuesday because Gamestop was only selling reserves. The guy at EB then goes on to lecture me about how I should pre-order games. So I ended up ordering the CE edition off Amazon. Free shipping AND $5 bucks off! I don't like waiting, but I saved about $10 bucks so it's worth it.

TheToE! said:
Same here, I never preorder. Best buy told me they were out yesterday, but as soon as I demanded to talk to someone who worked more than 20 hours a week and was over the age of 18 all the copies magically appeared from the stock room. Apparently the kids were telling everyone that they couldnt sell the game until wednesday. The manager who I talked to made them put it on the shelf after that. What a buch of idiots.

WHAT!!!!
That shit happened to me on Tuesday!
I went in, they had the walkthrough book but not the game.
I asked the kid and he said they were selling on Wednesday, I told him the game was relased already and that they must have copies in the stock room. He gave me some line about a big Oblivion Sale on Wednesday. I was pissed!

I go back Wednesday after work and they are sold out!
LITTLE SOB!
So I am going back again today!

TheOmniscientCreator said:
LOL...their qualifications must be a joke.

Hopefully, Oblivion won't be that difficult to get...

lol I worked there for a while, prereqs were to get a comp into safemode and identify the harddrive, mobo, and cpu. I sat there like "Are you kidding me?"

lol, the local compusmart here in my city(canada ftw) has TONS of oblivion games, I aked them how many they sold and they said only 3 since they got it, I'm like O.O, and they went "apprently not to many people know we have it," I'm thinking; hell yea because best buy and etc were sold out!

When I preorder something I pay for it in full.

If you dont know how things work then whatever but the thing is gamestops (back me up someone) and all of those stores need to sell their high selling games on the first day quickly that way they can get another shipment in. If your not there to pick up your reserved copy in a timely manner your assed out.

To me if someone reserves something and they are not there on release day to pick it up, they shouldnt have reserved it in the first place.

qbert3 said:
When I preorder something I pay for it in full.

If you dont know how things work then whatever but the thing is gamestops (back me up someone) and all of those stores need to sell their high selling games on the first day quickly that way they can get another shipment in. If your not there to pick up your reserved copy in a timely manner your assed out.

To me if someone reserves something and they are not there on release day to pick it up, they shouldnt have reserved it in the first place.

That is a rather asinine statement...you are reserving it so it STAYS there...you aren't making dinner reservations, "Hi gamestop, I'd like to make a reservation for Oblivion at 7:00, thanks"...

The purpose of reserving it is to let the store order extra ones...essentially if they want to keep 50 copies on the shelf, and ten people predorder. so what do they do...they get 60 on the truck...so the intitial stock doesn't change.

Blakestr said:
The purpose of reserving it is to let the store order extra ones...essentially if they want to keep 50 copies on the shelf, and ten people predorder. so what do they do...they get 60 on the truck...so the intitial stock doesn't change.

Checkmate.

I have always pre-ordered from my local EB, and never had a problem. Games to consoles, I go pick it up and walk out. Usually just in time to see someone who didn't beg if they had any extra. BB's and such here usually don't get it till their regular shipment days.

Now ordering video cards from Dell, never again......

I had almost as bad of a problem getting Quake4... I called BB and they told me it was in stock and I'd have no problem just coming down to get a copy/didn't need to have them hold one. So I get down there and its nowhere to be seen and after talking to 3-4 people they tell me they won't sell me it because all the copies they have are for preorders. Ended up going to a couple other places before finally finding it at EB I think, I never go to the mall where I finally found it at.

Kinda off-topic but...

IMO, employees of music stores, computer stores, radio shacks and electronic stores, and any other type of buisness should NOT hire young, ignorant people to work in these establishments.

For instance, I used to work many years at cdplus, a music store chain throughout malls in Canada.. maybe the states, I dunno... Im a fan of music, all kinds, all genres and influences. I play drums, trumpet and some guitar, and am still fascinated by some of the new songs and sounds that are constantly being made.

Anyways, I hired a young girl who looked pretty hip and told me she loved music and thats all she ever did. In 2 weeks I finally realized this girl had no appreciation, desire, ambition, OR a clue about music, and not one bit interested in changing. She hated every album played in the store, and she repeatedly played the same 3 artists and their same 3 year old album everytime she had control of the in-store music. She couldn't help customers because she didn't know the artists, or albums and always ordered the wrong stock....

Now, just recently, I was checking out the Auto Assault beta, but basically was only able to play it for a few hours before they limited beta access. I found out I could buy a 5 dollar pre-order box from ebgames and get an account key for pre-order beta status, allowing me to further test this game. I called ebgames and this girl answered. I asked her if they had any Auto Assault PREORDER boxes on their shelves. After about 5 minutes on hold, she says, "Yup, we have one". I asked if I could perhaps reserve that box as I will be coming there in an hour. She said she would.

So thanks to being on call, I was called into work and had to ask my wife to get it. I told her she only needed 5 bucks. I get home that night, and my wife says they told her the box was the actualy GAME and were asking for $59.99 plus tax which Im assuming is the estimated price on the actual full release, which I find to be amost impossible as the game is still in beta, and has yet to go gold. I told this girl that morning that its a pre-order box, since the actual game hasn't even gone gold yet. She was confused about the "gone gold" comment, and a piece of me died inside.

So my wife said I'll have to come back since she only brought 10 bucks cash. I call the store 5 minutes before close and this time a guy answers. I explained to him that my wife was just in for Auto Assault preorder box... and he says, " Oooh yah.. you know the games out right.."? ... I then explained that if you carefully look at the box you will see a MASSIVE yellow sticker on the front that says, "Pre-order Exclusive". I also pointed out that if he looked at the top of the actual box you will see in bold RED letters on a yellow background that says, " PRE-ORDER ONLY * FULL VERSION OF GAME NOT INCLUDED * PRE-ORDER ONLY"

After another 5 minutes he comes back and says, " Ohh you're right.. its just a pre-order box... and yah, its only 5 bucks." He tells me this 3 minutes before closing, therefore ruining the chance of me getting it that night.

Thats 2 fuckin people that obviously don't have a CLUE about games, or how to read english text on a cardboard game box... something I'd think would be impossible for 2 people in the same day... I doubt these kids even play games.. or own a system. WTF are these kids working in these places then?!?!? Daddy and mommy musta told them they needed to get a job, and what do you know, a nerd store right beside the body shop where her best friend works would be super cool and groovy!!

I hear they are hiring!!!11 Oooo i don't care, like, id work in a nintendo store for 5 bucks an hour, because like, my friend will be right beside me!! like omgz~

:rolleyes:

Imo, you wouldn't hire just anybody to be a cop, or to be a judge, or lawyer, doctor, auto mechanic, electrician, or any other occupation where the person doesn't have a fuckin clue about the field they will be working in, and YES a simple EBgames store where you work for 10 hours a week shouldn't be an exception.

I fired that girl from the music store a week later... she didn't even blink an eyelash and just sauntered out. Later that week I saw her working at Radio Shack, struggling to explain what this black box with buttons was in front of her. :(

P.s. This has happened more than a few times at ebgames and future shop especially, but I've already elborated too much on this story... again, sorry to be off-topic.

... goddamnit.. how did this post end up being so damn long.. wtf is wrong with me lately.. every post of mine is like 5 times as long as everyone elses... :confused:

ojax said:
Kinda off-topic but...

IMO, employees of music stores, computer stores, radio shacks and electronic stores, and any other type of buisness should NOT hire young, ignorant people to work in these establishments.

For instance, I used to work many years at cdplus, a music store chain throughout malls in Canada.. maybe the states, I dunno... Im a fan of music, all kinds, all genres and influences. I play drums, trumpet and some guitar, and am still fascinated by some of the new songs and sounds that are constantly being made.

Anyways, I hired a young girl who looked pretty hip and told me she loved music and thats all she ever did. In 2 weeks I finally realized this girl had no appreciation, desire, ambition, OR a clue about music, and not one bit interested in changing. She hated every album played in the store, and she repeatedly played the same 3 artists and their same 3 year old album everytime she had control of the in-store music. She couldn't help customers because she didn't know the artists, or albums and always ordered the wrong stock....

Now, just recently, I was checking out the Auto Assault beta, but basically was only able to play it for a few hours before they limited beta access. I found out I could buy a 5 dollar pre-order box from ebgames and get an account key for pre-order beta status, allowing me to further test this game. I called ebgames and this girl answered. I asked her if they had any Auto Assault PREORDER boxes on their shelves. After about 5 minutes on hold, she says, "Yup, we have one". I asked if I could perhaps reserve that box as I will be coming there in an hour. She said she would.

So thanks to being on call, I was called into work and had to ask my wife to get it. I told her she only needed 5 bucks. I get home that night, and my wife says they told her the box was the actualy GAME and were asking for $59.99 plus tax which Im assuming is the estimated price on the actual full release, which I find to be amost impossible as the game is still in beta, and has yet to go gold. I told this girl that morning that its a pre-order box, since the actual game hasn't even gone gold yet. She was confused about the "gone gold" comment, and a piece of me died inside.

So my wife said I'll have to come back since she only brought 10 bucks cash. I call the store 5 minutes before close and this time a guy answers. I explained to him that my wife was just in for Auto Assault preorder box... and he says, " Oooh yah.. you know the games out right.."? ... I then explained that if you carefully look at the box you will see a MASSIVE yellow sticker on the front that says, "Pre-order Exclusive". I also pointed out that if he looked at the top of the actual box you will see in bold RED letters on a yellow background that says, " PRE-ORDER ONLY * FULL VERSION OF GAME NOT INCLUDED * PRE-ORDER ONLY"

After another 5 minutes he comes back and says, " Ohh you're right.. its just a pre-order box... and yah, its only 5 bucks." He tells me this 3 minutes before closing, therefore ruining the chance of me getting it that night.

Thats 2 fuckin people that obviously don't have a CLUE about games, or how to read english text on a cardboard game box... something I'd think would be impossible for 2 people in the same day... I doubt these kids even play games.. or own a system. WTF are these kids working in these places then?!?!? Daddy and mommy musta told them they needed to get a job, and what do you know, a nerd store right beside the body shop where her best friend works would be super cool and groovy!!

I hear they are hiring!!!11 Oooo i don't care, like, id work in a nintendo store for 5 bucks an hour, because like, my friend will be right beside me!! like omgz~

:rolleyes:

Imo, you wouldn't hire just anybody to be a cop, or to be a judge, or lawyer, doctor, auto mechanic, electrician, or any other occupation where the person doesn't have a fuckin clue about the field they will be working in, and YES a simple EBgames store where you work for 10 hours a week shouldn't be an exception.

I fired that girl from the music store a week later... she didn't even blink an eyelash and just sauntered out. Later that week I saw her working at Radio Shack, struggling to explain what this black box with buttons was in front of her. :(

P.s. This has happened more than a few times at ebgames and future shop especially, but I've already elborated too much on this story... again, sorry to be off-topic.

... goddamnit.. how did this post end up being so damn long.. wtf is wrong with me lately.. every post of mine is like 5 times as long as everyone elses... :confused:

Hey ojax... There is no such thing as a skilled job anymore. Everyone just wings it. Sucks, doesn't it?

Devnull said:
Hey ojax... There is no such thing as a skilled job anymore. Everyone just wings it. Sucks, doesn't it?

Indeed. Then these people better get used to working that type of job. ;)

Back