Oblivion freezing every time something happens

winston856

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey all, I've just got oblivion and I'm getting this freezing whenever I do something. I'm still in the caves and like when I fight a troll or goblin, I'll click the mouse to swing my sword and it'll freeze for like 5 seconds and then the guy'll be dead....

This gets very VERY annoying and it brings the gaming experience to a grinding halt.

My specs are in my sig, the meat of it is 3700+ San Diego @ 2.9Ghz, 7900GT stock, 2GB's of RAM and a 74GB raptor.

I play @ 1280x1024 (native) with everything maxed out. HDR and no AA.

In the jail cell everything was fine until I got into the caves, then it started acting up.

I've done a few things: Installed the 84.25 drivers, ridded my computer of Starforce but the problem still persists.

I've googled this but only've seen problems where the game just totally freezes. Mine's only for 5 seconds everytime I attack something or talk to somebody. Like it's trying to load or do something and there's a lag or something.....

Could you help me shed some light on my problem? All my other games work fine maxed out. CoD2, CS: S, BF2, FEAR etc...

My first thought would be to disable HDR.

If that doesn't fix it, try looking for the (un)official bug thread at the Elder Scrolls forums.

My first thought would be that there are some lingering hidden Starforce drivers. People have reported that you get no-cd detection errors when it is installed fully sometimes, perhaps there are a few small bits left in your rig that are screwing up Oblivion's loading/stability :(.

So I turned down all the settings and it still does it.

I reloaded the first level (the jail cell) and it ran fine.

I'm now out of the caves and in the imperial city or whatever and so far, it's running great.

Everything on the highest with HDR and the lowest frames I've seen is a dip to 20. It stays around 30-45 outside. :)

Nope, still has the occational freeze though. It doesn't happen as often now.

Back