oblivion doesnt need that great a system....

jc72

Weaksauce
i dont understand, everyone is talking about how peoples systems cant handle oblivion and im playing it at 1280 x 1024 with 2x AA perfectly smooth...

I have a socket A 2100+ @ 220x10 so 2.2ghz
a 9500np with the pipelines unlocked and OC'ed making it a 9700pro
and 1gb of ram

sure i cant have HDR and whatnot enabled because my card isnt current gen but im running it at decent settings and it looks really good and runs smooth, whats the deal?

Depends on your tree/grass distance. Plus the modded textures. Not sure how much it affects the system though.

You must have no LOD at all then...I can barely do 800x600 on my X700, with absolutely no AA or AF.

I /was/ playing on a Dell 2.8g with 1gig of ram and a Sapphire 9500np (not unlocked, darn artifacts, not overclocked, super-darn artifacts) just dandy.

I wasn't playing high rez, only 800x600 but the game was extremely playable. I would only notice a "stutter" when an encounter first started, during those first few frames, then it was smooth again for the rest of the encounter.

I was able to have the grass on, but found it was straining on my eyes, so I turned it off. I can't say I noticed much of a frame-rate increase (by visually inspection) with that grass off, but the world did look different. If I was standing in one place looking at the world, I'd turn it on, but to run around, off is much nicer.

Now, I revamped my old machine and play on that. XP 2400+ (2g) with 1gig ram and a 6800 (512m model, completely unlocked for full pipes and shaders, not overclocked yet). I am not playing at 1024x768 perfectly, with everything on high, including HDR. Only problem I've encountered so far, was the initial FMV opening sequence on starting a new game, it was displayed in "blocks" that refreshed at different times from each other. Other than that, it runs very, very smooth.

I'll have to run FRAPS on both of them and let everyone know for sure, but really, even if the Dell was only getting averages of 20fps (possible, but doubtful) it was really playable at that. Like HL2, lower resolution gaming looks MUCH BETTER than it did a couple years ago...

jc72 said:
i dont understand, everyone is talking about how peoples systems cant handle oblivion and im playing it at 1280 x 1024 with 2x AA perfectly smooth...

I have a socket A 2100+ @ 220x10 so 2.2ghz
a 9500np with the pipelines unlocked and OC'ed making it a 9700pro
and 1gb of ram

sure i cant have HDR and whatnot enabled because my card isnt current gen but im running it at decent settings and it looks really good and runs smooth, whats the deal?

Yeah I'm definitely going to need to see screenshots

Eh, mine ran great at first. I never settle for anything below 1024, LOD, Grass down, other sliders at half-way. Ran great. Now though, it's running like shit, shadows have to be off, sliders are down to 1/4th, and it still runs like crap.

(been playing for 50 hours)

What should I expect with 3000+, 6800 (factory oc) and 1 gig of ram? I was hoping to run it at native on my monitory (1680x1050) with no AA/AF and limited draw distance.

a fellow forum member at a different forum that I'm part of plays just fine at 1280x720 on a 1.6 pentium m, 1gig of ram, and a mobility radeon x600 with 64mb dedicated ram and 64 hypermemory. he plays with medium textures. i dunno know if he turns the grass off or not, but everytime he's taken a screenshot, he's used grass...

Gnu314 said:
What should I expect with 3000+, 6800 (factory oc) and 1 gig of ram? I was hoping to run it at native on my monitory (1680x1050) with no AA/AF and limited draw distance.

oc your cpu to 2.6ghz and you should be able to with a few settings turned down

I'm running the system in the sig, and I even tried a second GPU in SLI for this game...
To turn everything up, you need a serious piece of gear, to run at medium, you don't...there's a HUGE difference in system requirements depending on settings for Oblivion.

chameleoneel said:
a fellow forum member at a different forum that I'm part of plays just fine at 1280x720 on a 1.6 pentium m, 1gig of ram, and a mobility radeon x600 with 64mb dedicated ram and 64 hypermemory. he plays with medium textures. i dunno know if he turns the grass off or not, but everytime he's taken a screenshot, he's used grass...

I'm just taking a wild guess here, but I'm pretty sure he isn't using any grass, very short tree distance, no bloom/hdr, no AA, no shadows, no reflections... ok you get my point. :)

medium textures

trea shadows but no other shadows

bloom lighting

no AA of course, but 1280x720 good even without it, even still he doesn't care about jaggies.

um I dunno, no distant trees, but distant land and buildings.

agian i dunno if he uses grass or not while playing, but he probably doesn't becaue it give a nice bump, and really, it doesn't hurt the visual experience much, if at all. atleast in my oppinion. and the framerate boost is worth it.

yea the settings im running are everything at about medium, with grass and view distance and such set at about the middle of the slider bar with 1280 x 1024 res and 2x AA....it looks good and i get at least 30 fps even in combat...i think it really likes having a high fsb, it would seem its pretty cpu intensive?

Back