Oblivion: Alchemy how to create really expensive potions?`

oqvist

[H]F Junkie
Is it worth it making potions of four ingredients? I am an expert in Alchemy by now and has expert and master stuff to make potions in. I have so far only used 2 ingredients to make my potions. Is there any that require 3-4 that is better then making 2 2-ingredient potions?.

Yes, I'm only a journyman (i think, mine is 45) amd I can make potions with 3-4 ingerdients. The still only sell for 10-12gp thou. I'm also using all 4 things, rehort, mortor/petisle and w/e the other ones are.

Nothing REQUIRES 3...it's just that you can get multiple attributes on a potion with 3.

I always do the minimum, which is one unless I want a special potion (like feather). I go for quantity to make my money
biggrin.gif

I think the only reason to use 3 or more is to get a potion that does say, Restore Health and Restore Magicka at the same time. There is a potion drinking limit... only like 3 in a short period of time, but it's not that restrictive.

DudeItsMe said:
I always do the minimum, which is one unless I want a special potion (like feather). I go for quantity to make my money
biggrin.gif

I think the only reason to use 3 or more is to get a potion that does say, Restore Health and Restore Magicka at the same time. There is a potion drinking limit... only like 3 in a short period of time, but it's not that restrictive.

Yes, once you reach Master you can create potions with a single ingredient. I oftentimes buy up all the food a shopkeeper has only to turn around and sell him a bunch of Restore Fatigue potions at a huge markup. :D

I've sold a few potions for around 40 gold, but I think that in some cases it has to do with high disposition and a decent ration between the seller's and my mercantile ratings (I haggle reasonably well, often at 75%).

Figure this: If you buy, say, an apple at 2 gold, then use that in a single-ingredient potion to make a Restore Fatigue, you can resell it at least for around 20 gold. That's a 1000% markup!

Yes but the question is what gives you the most money. Making a super potion out of four ingredients or making ingredients out of two and thus twice as many... I sell mine for between 20-65 gold. 45 average perhaps...

oqvist said:
Yes but the question is what gives you the most money. Making a super potion out of four ingredients or making ingredients out of two and thus twice as many... I sell mine for between 20-65 gold. 45 average perhaps...

Frankly I'm not completely sure. Since I most often just make Restore Fatigue potions to sell, and those are only one-ingredient brews, I can't really say. Anything more than that I usually just save for my own use (e.g., burden/damage magicka/damage health, or feather/restore health/fortify health).

I've made potions that sell between $90 and $115 before. They are usually 3+ ingredient potions though and only 1 or 2 at a time. The majority of the time I make Restore type potions and sell them at $20+ a group.

that's one thing I liked more about Morrowind's system. If you're making a potion, say 'restore magicka', using two ingredients does the same as in Oblivion. However, if you added a third ingredient with the 'restore magicka' property then you would get a more powerful / longer lasting potion. In Oblivion, there's no point in adding that third ingredient unless you're going for multiple-effect potions.

I really love picking flowers. The best part with the MQ was when you got to Marcomans world. I got totally ballistic when I noticed all the flowers. I started plucking like crazy. All new flowers as well it was the best representation of paradise I have ever seen :D.

that and of course the garden outside of Arcane University is just awesome. Nothing beats the feeling of running in circles picking flowers as fast as you can with your use key ;). And get that satisfying audio when you successfully pick a flower.

I have also started to loot the stores from all their cheaper flowers at least. The problem is only you can do it once but it´s good money every time :). By two ingredients for like 5 dollars or 4 and sell it for 40 which I guess is my average it´s good money.

Some of the more expensive stuff you are better off selling directly it feels like and definiatly not worth buying.

But the problem I have I don´t memorize the potions I make. It´s kind of automated and you get lazy. You pick a flower and you automatically see what you can use it with. Again Oblivion is a bit too streamlined I feel. You should have to experiment and when you successfully make a potion you would either get it in a alchemy notebook or you would be able to save the notes yourself so you don´t get the screen cluttered with post it notes.

Well sure you can make potions with three effects and sell them for more, but in that time I could probably make 200+ potions. I've got the potion making thing down, and I can blaze through them. Once I get to where I don't need Nirnroot, I can be more reckless and get it done a lot faster. I've made just under 6k potions and have 338k gold. Like I said before, Quantity > Quality.

Yes it´s to easy. It´s so efficient now that there is hardly any flowers left when I am finished with a batch...

But I do need to level up strength because caring potions and ingredients even if you leave the mortar&pestle and stuff weights more then you might think ;)

Back