O365/Hosted Exchange Setup

Oldie

Mean Old Administrator
Staff member
I decided to move a not for profit I'm part of to Office 365's Hosted Exchange (we get E3 for free) and I'm having some issues with the right DNS settings. I'm on 1and1 (I know, they're a PITB) and if I follow MS's exact directions for them, they want me to add a CNAME for autodiscover.outlook.com, but doing that redirects the whole website away from the 1and1 host to that URL. I believe I have the MX record set right, but does anyone have any insight on how to set up autodiscover correctly?

Last edited:
There is no domain, we don't even have a server just a small NAS for some shared storage. I know that's how it would work in traditional on-prem exchange, I'm pretty sure it works differently for hosted, the MS instructions are also very clearly indicating it should be setup on the web hosts portal. If I follow the steps listed here:

http://office.microsoft.com/client/...SE&HelpID=O365E_Troubleshoot_CreateDNSRecords

Browsing to the website ends up taking me to autodiscover.outlook.com instead of the host.

You're doing it wrong ;-)
It wants you to create records for subdomains using CNAME entries.
A nice little touch would be mapping webmail.yourdomain.com to mail.office365.com .
//Danne

You're doing it wrong ;-)
It wants you to create records for subdomains using CNAME entries.
A nice little touch would be mapping webmail.yourdomain.com to mail.office365.com .
//Danne

Ahh...see now I was starting to wonder if I should make it a sub. Do I still keep the MX record on the primary domain?

One of these days, but I've got about 9 domains setup there, would be annoying to do.

So I've got it setup like this as soon as it updates:

-On the main address, I've got the MX record of domainname.mail.protection.outlook.com with a priority of 10.
-I created mail.domain.com with a CNAME of autodiscover.outlook.com

So when I go to configure a client do I just put in an exchange address of mail.domain.com?

Also, I appreciate the help. I'm not 100% ignorant, but pretty damn close. :D

Yeah, 1and1 is shit. Move it over to a real provider (I like NameCheap).

Well I figured it out, for the benefit of future searchers.

For 1and1 and Office 365 put your MX record in on the primary domain and then create a subdomain called autodiscover.domain.com with a CNAME alias of autodiscover.outlook.com. Give it a few hours to take effect and you should be good to go.

I'm still going to switch providers though, tired of running into issues like this.

Our company used to have our customers on 1AND1 as well, we moved everyone over this time last year because we needed the better DNS management panel that GoDaddy (or anyone) offered. Much happier.

Back