NX won't be at the E3, it will be focused on Zelda.

Revdarian

2[H]4U
Zelda is going to be delayed to 2017 tho, and the NX will also be set up for March 2017 in a global release.

The information comes directly from Nintendo's report and uncovered on this thread at Neogaf:

NX will launch in March 2017 globally, won't be at E3 (focusing on Zelda instead)

Well, that explains the end of 2016-2017 deal on AMD's semi custom design wins. The Zelda delay isn't surprising since it is rumored to be a cross release title, we shall see.

It's confirmed to be on both the Wii U and NX. Nintendo UK on Twitter

It's interesting that it isn't launching with the NX. That clearly points to it not being close to finished yet. Which is kind of curious since they originally planned to release it last year and had to delay it to this year.

Kinda crazy that Zelda will be the only title on display for E3 by Nintendo.

I was expecting at least some 3ds titles on display.

I hope the NX is not the steaming pile the Wii and Wii U were.

Wow, I'm so sick of that title being delayed. I've been waiting for a Wii U Zelda game since 2013, and they've been talking about it for the past three years. This is almost as bad as waiting on Evangelion 3.33 to come out.

The only new Zelda game to come out since Skyward Sword is A Link Between Worlds. Sure, we've gotten stuff like Hyrule Warriors, but that's not quite the same thing.

Honestly, I like the Wii U as a piece of hardware and enjoy the gamepad, but Nintendo did a terrible job making first party titles for it. They relied way too heavily on third-party support which wasn't forthcoming. For the first year it came out, there weren't really any games for it. I suspect they focused all their first-party efforts into the 3DS and basically produced the Wii U as an "also ran" because they didn't want to keep making Wii consoles.

I mean, the only games I like on the console are Super Mario 3D World, Mario Kart 8, Pikmin 3, and ZombiU. Sure, it's got a couple of Assassin's Creed games, but I prefer to play those on my PC. For the most part, I use it for watching movies and playing Virtual Console games more than anything else... there just aren't any good first-party games for it, and first-party games like Mario, Zelda, and Metroid are what I buy Nintendo consoles for.

I'm sad to admit that I actually played Assassin's Creed IV on my Wii U just so I would have an excuse to play it (my TV is only 720p, so there was no lag). I also got both Wind Waker and Twilight Princess HD for the same reason, even though I already have those games. Sigh. What sucks is that Ubisoft dropped support for the Wii U before we got the DLC, so I would literally have to buy another copy of the game on Steam just to get Freedom Cry. Thanks a lot, Ubisoft. There's absolutely no reason we couldn't have gotten that DLC and Rogue except that they were pissed about low sales and wanted to stick it to Nintendo. The engine was already ported and done, and there was nothing stopping them from doing a digital-only release in the eShop.

Last edited:
It's confirmed to be on both the Wii U and NX. Nintendo UK on Twitter

It's interesting that it isn't launching with the NX. That clearly points to it not being close to finished yet. Which is kind of curious since they originally planned to release it last year and had to delay it to this year.
This I feel is a similar situation to The Twilight Princess. Originally developed for Gamecube, but Nintendo wanted a Zelda to push the Wii with. So now we have a right-handed Link and the limited print Gamecube copies are going for $80 a piece these days while the Wii version is a dime a dozen.

This I feel is a similar situation to The Twilight Princess. Originally developed for Gamecube, but Nintendo wanted a Zelda to push the Wii with. So now we have a right-handed Link and the limited print Gamecube copies are going for $80 a piece these days while the Wii version is a dime a dozen.

Well, the HD remake of TP is based off the Gamecube version. So...hurray!

Zelda delayed! Shocker! As long as it is good, I don't mind. I just hope they boost the graphics for the new hardware.

Here is my take on this whole thing. First, the whole notion that Nintendo has a problem is based on a false premise. That premise is that Nintendo must make hardware to be successful, which is false. If Nintendo released their games on other platforms, they would probably be the best and most successful game developers on those platforms. They have intellectual property that is incredibly valuable. What is to stop them from releasing the Legend of Zelda on PC, for example? Can you imagine the possibilities? The possibilities for Nintendo are absolutely limitless, because they are the worlds best game developers.

If in fact Nintendo's hardware business fails, it could end up being a win for Nintendo fans. I really only have room in my life for one console and one gaming PC. If Nintendo titles were on PS4, I would have a PS4 in my bedroom.

The challenge for Nintendo is not to build a new console, but rather to create a reason for that console to even exist in the first place. This is their underlying philosophy. The Wii U definitely makes a case for itself. The library is strong, in my opinion, the second screen functionality is incredibly useful. I am very fond of the system. Consumers did not get it. Fine. This isn't politics though. Nintendo does not have to concede the race to Sony and Microsoft like it is an election. Worst case scenario, they become the best game development company in the world and we don't have to buy their hardware. It should only happen. If Nintendo can come up with a reason for their hardware to exist, they could knock it out the park. They could do it, but they probably won't. But they have surprised me before. I did not expect the Wii or its success. If they fail with NX, we get their software on another platform.

Likewise, the next Zelda has to have a reason to exist. There has to be a fundamental premise underlying the game. It could be an expansive, open world. They could have been experimenting with it development and decided they can't do it with the amount of ram on the Wii U. Or the GPU. I can't imagine building a Zelda game is easy.

I think they are a little out of touch and need to regroup. They probably need the time...to develop Zelda, to develop their console, to tinker and experiment. This is a company that makes games that are genres in themselves. Nintendo's hardware has competition, but Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Mario Kart, Donkey Kong, Smash Brothers, Pikmin, F-Zero, Animal Crossing, Pokémon...not so much. Short of closing their doors and stopping making games, I do not foresee Nintendo having any problems that are not of their own making and choosing. IMHO.

Here is my take on this whole thing. First, the whole notion that Nintendo has a problem is based on a false premise. That premise is that Nintendo must make hardware to be successful, which is false. If Nintendo released their games on other platforms, they would probably be the best and most successful game developers on those platforms. They have intellectual property that is incredibly valuable. What is to stop them from releasing the Legend of Zelda on PC, for example? Can you imagine the possibilities? The possibilities for Nintendo are absolutely limitless, because they are the worlds best game developers.

Well, if Nintendo had to make games for other consoles, that would limit their ability to be creative with the interface. For instance, if they made games for the PC, they couldn't count on gamers having a Wii U touchscreen, a Wii Remote, or anything like that. They'd have to design a fallback mode that allowed games to run with just a mouse and keyboard. On the PS4, they'd be limited to building games that could be played with a Dualshock, etc.

The problem with building something for someone else's hardware is that you don't get any control over the platform, and you have to build your games around the lowest common denominator. Third-party studios usually build games that can be controlled on any gamepad, but which aren't really optimized for any of them.

Now, arguably Nintendo could do something like including a Wii MotionPlus and a USB sensor bar with their PC games. But oh, wait... the Wii remote uses Bluetooth. Well, now they have to require Bluetooth or include a dongle. This would make the games fairly unaffordable, which once again means designing games around the lowest common denominator, the Mouse/keyboard they can guarantee every PC has.

Biggest issue, really, is the impact this might have on their mobile games. I'm not particularly interested in buying an Android or iOS phone (happy Windows Phone user here), and I don't like playing touchscreen games with my fingers. I like buttons and a stylus. But if Nintendo puts their games on iOS and Android, not only will I have to buy a supported mobile platform to play them (and a good phone costs a lot more than a 3DS), but I'll most likely have to play them with my fingers. Which may very well mean I won't play their mobile games at all.

However, what I want and what the market wants are two different things. If people stop buying Nintendo consoles, they will have to do this. And unfortunately, people seem to be rewarding Sony for building a cut-down gaming PC with a traditional controller... no risks, no innovation, just better hardware. I find that sad, because there's literally nothing I could do on a PS4 that couldn't be done better on a PC. Nintendo at least tries to give me something I couldn't get on a PC... but if people don't want that, then Nintendo would do just as well to put their games on the PC. The mouse and keyboard could be Nintendo's last "gimmick," and I'm sure they could do a lot with them. I don't like Sony hardware because I've been burned by them way too many times, so I would never buy from them. I might purchase an Xbox One if Nintendo goes with that platform, but I'd rather have it on PC. If they make a game for either of those, they'll have to target x86 anyway... why not?

Last edited:
I should have said Steam Machine, not PC. I was thinking controller interface, not mouse and keyboard.

The fact that the same game is coming out for both the WiiU and the new system bugs me. The fact that things are close enough to port between the two means that it can't be THAT big of a jump up. If there isn't that big of a difference, I don't really feel like dropping another $300-500 on yet another console just so I can play a new Mario Kart or Smash.

Prove me wrong Nintendo, prove me wrong.

The fact that the same game is coming out for both the WiiU and the new system bugs me. The fact that things are close enough to port between the two means that it can't be THAT big of a jump up. If there isn't that big of a difference, I don't really feel like dropping another $300-500 on yet another console just so I can play a new Mario Kart or Smash.

Prove me wrong Nintendo, prove me wrong.
Why? It's nothing new, Nintendo did the same with Zelda TP for the GC and Wii.

Why? It's nothing new, Nintendo did the same with Zelda TP for the GC and Wii.

Exactly why I hate it. We got a a GC game with a different controller on a brand new system. That foretold a whole lot about the Wii, too.

Looks to be a good game, and I appreciate Nintendo's repeated efforts to keep frame-rates high rather than focusing on still images. I get a little bit of a Dark Souls aesthetic here.
That said, this is very clearly a current-gen game. That might even be a stretch. If this really is a title for a new system, this version is most definitely rooted in current tech...just like Twilight Princess was.

I am as big a Zelda fan as anyone you are likely to meet but this game is just plain ugly. This game just absolutely reeks of last generation to the point that it is almost embarrassing. It might even be two generations behind at this stage. The horsepower just is not there. The textures are low quality, the environments are empty, the graphics are not crisp and the "wow" factor just is not there. It is a joke to me that they are presenting this as if it something special when it barely eeks out Skyward Sword and fails miserably when compared to Skyrim, an old game, visually.

I have just reached a point where I can no longer tolerate the disparity in visual fidelity between what I am experiencing on other consoles and on PC with what Nintendo is putting out. If they can't put out a clean looking product they should have just launched on NX and scrapped the Wii U version.

The only hope for this game is if NX version has significantly improved graphical fidelity. Otherwise, I might not even waste my time with it, and I have been a fan of the series since 1986.

The open world concept fails because the graphical horsepower is not there. There is nothing to see. They already messed this up with Skyward Sword's smeared art style. The ram and GPU is just not there for this type of game. What were they thinking? I think it looks like a disaster visually.

You don't need to be an expert in computer graphics to know that games that have large out door environments are the most technically demanding games. Yet, this game focuses on that notwithstanding Wii U's pitiful specifications.

This is the reason I never made it through Skyward Sword and ended up burying myself in Skyrim instead. I did like a Link Between Worlds quite a bit, but clearly the 3D Zelda series is way behind the times.

I am as big a Zelda fan as anyone you are likely to meet but this game is just plain ugly. This game just absolutely reeks of last generation to the point that it is almost embarrassing. It might even be two generations behind at this stage. The horsepower just is not there. The textures are low quality, the environments are empty, the graphics are not crisp and the "wow" factor just is not there. It is a joke to me that they are presenting this as if it something special when it barely eeks out Skyward Sword and fails miserably when compared to Skyrim, an old game, visually.

I have just reached a point where I can no longer tolerate the disparity in visual fidelity between what I am experiencing on other consoles and on PC with what Nintendo is putting out. If they can't put out a clean looking product they should have just launched on NX and scrapped the Wii U version.

The only hope for this game is if NX version has significantly improved graphical fidelity. Otherwise, I might not even waste my time with it, and I have been a fan of the series since 1986.

The open world concept fails because the graphical horsepower is not there. There is nothing to see. They already messed this up with Skyward Sword's smeared art style. The ram and GPU is just not there for this type of game. What were they thinking? I think it looks like a disaster visually.

You don't need to be an expert in computer graphics to know that games that have large out door environments are the most technically demanding games. Yet, this game focuses on that notwithstanding Wii U's pitiful specifications.

This is the reason I never made it through Skyward Sword and ended up burying myself in Skyrim instead. I did like a Link Between Worlds quite a bit, but clearly the 3D Zelda series is way behind the times.
I agree, especially after we had this a few years back that looks a lot better:

Yes, I realize some will say it's the 2000 SW Zelda-Wind Waker styles all over again but I still can't help but feel this looks at least graphically quite bland.

Now they are saying no upgrades to the game for NX. No reason to buy an NX at launch, then.

Really sad how far behind they are.

Now they are saying no upgrades to the game for NX. No reason to buy an NX at launch, then.

Really sad how far behind they are.
Shame. Pretty sure Twilight Princess was a hardware seller for the Wii, which was in the same situation Breath of the Wild is now in on the threshold of another console release.

I can't direct link this video, since it's IGN, but they have a 31 minute gameplay session with the game.
Code:
http://www.ign.com/videos/2016/06/15/31-minutes-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-gameplay-e3-2016

Things I noted:
Cel-shaded graphics
It's definitely open world.
It features collection systems (such as mushrooms etc) and more than likely combination systems (cooking is shown, but there is more than likely other things)
Has Mini-Dungeons
Massive map (if you're paying attention, the areas in the map shown around the map screen is NOT the ocean, it clearly looks like unexplored area)
Equipment degrades rather than expendes. Exceptions of course for arrows. But there appears to be no magic meter for the fire rod. It instead "breaks" after a number of uses. There is no showing of whether or not it can be repaired or if it's a collection based use as long as it lasts system only (or possibly recraft another).
None of the equipment Link appears to have is permanent. Even his sword seems subject to degrading.
Teleportation to already travelled zones is possible.
Some level of environmental alteration is possible (cutting down trees and riding on them. Lighting grass on fire).
Has various environments as well as times of day. Environments has an effect such as damaging link in the freezing cold or pushing him around with wind.

EDIT: Okay, the hardforum is annoying. It's attempting to turn it into a "media" link, which of course doesn't work. And I can't unlink it. Everytime I try to change it, it just resaves with the media tag on it.

Last edited:
The map is gigantic there is no doubt. The area on the map we saw is not the entire map. I think only 1% was available. Having said that, big does not mean good. It could be a big empty world the same way Windwaker had a big empty sea. That map was big too.

I should not rush to judgment. They are probably showing the most mundane portion of the game. This is either going to be a GREAT game or it is going to be a long terrible slog. What they need is better pacing and less tedium, than Twilight Princess. I am a little concerned about the inventory system as it seems to take you out of the game.

But, if they do it right, they will insert enough nostalgia fan service throughout the world, and lore, that it will feel like you are really exploring the first Zelda game from a new perspective. One interesting thing is that in the first Zelda, you could go wherever you wanted, but parts of the game were so hard and the enemies so difficult that you really had to follow a certain order to explore that area and be properly equipped. But it was fun to go back to places you could not survive previously and explore. If they can recapture that it would be great.

Also I think perhaps some other parts of the game that are not so grassy might be visually more striking. The parts that are not covered in mediocre foliage could be really interesting. The graphical issues are most apparent when trying to render vegetation. That has been the case in games for many years.

I think the video game press is being rather lax with Nintendo perhaps the game made a better impression hands on? They sort of did the same thing with Skyward Sword, which was lauded but I thought failed to deliver compared to Skyrim.

I trust Nintendo to a certain extent. A Link Between Worlds broke some conventions and was fabulous.

I think this could be really good. If they don't up the graphics for NX I will be shockingly disappointed. I would go all in with NX for this game but they have to make it worth my while. I am not doing what I did with the Wii, which is get the new system just for the hell of it and not get any real benefit to the game. They can't get into this cycle where they release a console, make Zelda the centerpiece of their console, and then make the last console's swan song the new console first big title. Not unless they leverage the new console's capabilities. I am not going to subsidize that nonsense.

I can't direct link this video, since it's IGN, but they have a 31 minute gameplay session with the game.

Things I noted:
Cel-shaded graphics
It's definitely open world.
It features collection systems (such as mushrooms etc) and more than likely combination systems (cooking is shown, but there is more than likely other things)
Has Mini-Dungeons
Massive map (if you're paying attention, the areas in the map shown around the map screen is NOT the ocean, it clearly looks like unexplored area)
Equipment degrades rather than expendes. Exceptions of course for arrows. But there appears to be no magic meter for the fire rod. It instead "breaks" after a number of uses. There is no showing of whether or not it can be repaired or if it's a collection based use as long as it lasts system only (or possibly recraft another).
None of the equipment Link appears to have is permanent. Even his sword seems subject to degrading.
Teleportation to already travelled zones is possible.
Some level of environmental alteration is possible (cutting down trees and riding on them. Lighting grass on fire).
Has various environments as well as times of day. Environments has an effect such as damaging link in the freezing cold or pushing him around with wind.

EDIT: Okay, the hardforum is annoying. It's attempting to turn it into a "media" link, which of course doesn't work. And I can't unlink it. Everytime I try to change it, it just resaves with the media tag on it.

Try putting the code tags around the link.
Code:
http://www.ign.com/videos/2016/06/15/31-minutes-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-gameplay-e3-2016

Back