Nvidia's NV40 has taped out...

not true in the r3xx, even if the developer puts partial precision hints in the game it will still run at fp24 in the r3xx line, no matter what, that is all the hardware is capable of, full precision at all times

Duoh! My bad on that, you're right. I thought the R3xx did partial precision.

Originally posted by Brent
take a normal person

sit them in front of two monitors displaying the high dynamic range demo

have one monitor showing it on the 9800xt, have the other with the 5950u

i bet you they will see the difference, the quality and the frame rate difference

normal person:
"They both look great."
"Yes, they're different."
"But they both look great."

Originally posted by 0ldman
I dunno about that one... most normal people I work for can't tell the difference between software and hardware rendering in games.

By normal people I mean people that use computers and cars and wonder how we understand the magic fairy dust that makes them work. Normal people far outnumber the people that understand this stuff. In all honesty, 85% of the people out there are still in awe of the special effects of Terminator 2, which can be done in realtime in games now, if not better.

Normal people scare me sometimes...

I agree.

Originally posted by WalteRr
Yes there is, download rivatuner go into advanced directx options and force it.

well dude, i looked in rivatuner, i see no option to force Floating Point 32 format in games

if it is there and i'm missing it please show me a screenshot of where it is

Originally posted by Brent
well dude, i looked in rivatuner, i see no option to force Floating Point 32 format in games

if it is there and i'm missing it please show me a screenshot of where it is

hehe, i bet it was 32 bit color :D

Originally posted by Killa|3yte
hehe, i bet it was 32 bit color :D

he must be confused, because all i saw were 16/32bit texture formats you can enable or disable support of with rivatuner

I deal with the general public a lot. At first I thought it was just this area that was backwards, but it spreads farther than I really want to think about.

lol...My computer tech teacher told our class about the time he worked at a computer help desk (was obligatory part of his teacher training). Well, most of the people who were having problems didn't even have their computer plugged in :mad: Now that just makes me lose my faith in mankind.

Although I favor ATI more now because they don't cheat on benchmarks like nVidia (*cough* 3dMark01SE *cough*), ATI seriously needs some competition or it's going to turn out like Microsoft. But then who knows, Matrox might come in and crush both ATI and nVidia :D

Originally posted by DaveX
lol...My computer tech teacher told our class about the time he worked at a computer help desk (was obligatory part of his teacher training). Well, most of the people who were having problems didn't even have their computer plugged in :mad: Now that just makes me lose my faith in mankind.

Although I favor ATI more now because they don't cheat on benchmarks like nVidia (*cough* 3dMark01SE *cough*), ATI seriously needs some competition or it's going to turn out like Microsoft. But then who knows, Matrox might come in and crush both ATI and nVidia :D
caller: "my computer won't work"
tech: "Check the power cord and see if it is plugged in"
caller: " I can't, the power's out"

:rolleyes:

its an old email joke, which unfortunately I actually answered an identical phone call sometime last year.

I still don't really mind the fp16 as an option, eventually the NV3x cards will be old, dropping precision may be the difference in playing a game or buying a new video card. I do think drivers forcing fp16 in spite of the game is BS. It should be a user controllable option. Period.

caller: "my computer won't work"
tech: "Check the power cord and see if it is plugged in"
caller: " I can't, the power's out"

:rolleyes:

its an old email joke, which unfortunately I actually answered an identical phone call sometime last year.

I still don't really mind the fp16 as an option, eventually the NV3x cards will be old, dropping precision may be the difference in playing a game or buying a new video card. I do think drivers forcing fp16 in spite of the game is BS. It should be a user controllable option. Period.

i don't think it should be user controlable, I think it should be up the developer, period

Back