NVIDIA to Launch GeForce GTX 1060 with 5GB Memory

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
NVIDIA is allegedly preparing a new variant of GTX 1060 that is aimed at Internet cafes. This version of the card will feature slightly lower VRAM and a cut-down memory bus, while retaining the same number of cores as the 6GB variant.

The GTX 1060 is an exclusive model for the Chinese market, where the popularity of Internet cafés is booming. These cards are to be sold in bigger quantities, hence no fancy packaging is to be expected (so in that regard, it would be similar to P106-100 mining series). Expreview has confirmed that GTX 1060 5GB will use 1280 CUDA cores. This should be enough for solid 1080p gaming at higher settings.

How will these fair on the crypto coin market? It really sucks for us gamers since prices are being propped up by crypto coin demand.

So...they mine in Internet cafes now? ;-)

Who cares about the memory subsystem when you can't find the cards near MSRP anyway? This just seems like another version of the 1060 that will be snapped up by miners. Or maybe I'm just missing something...

Last edited:
I didn't realize internet cafes were still a thing.

"The new variant of GTX 1060 is an exclusive model for the Chinese market, where the popularity of Internet cafés is booming. "

They died in the US and are booming in China. Interesting.

"The new variant of GTX 1060 is an exclusive model for the Chinese market, where the popularity of Internet cafés is booming. "

You would be surprised. LA has at least 10 different ones.

I know of one internet café in NYC and it's in a Chinese neighborhood in Queens...so looks like it's a Chinese fad

Wondering where the market is for this. I have the GTX1060 3GB version, which has slightly less cores, and plays 1080p stellar, and is reasonable for Rift VR. The 6GB version has more cores and isn't that much more expensive (~$50).

So I'm wondering if the 3GB version just doesn't exist in that market, cause it would seem hard to slot a 5GB in between the 3GB and 6GB.

How about a gpu aimed at getting me 144fps in 4k?

Hilarious.

So...they mine in Internet cafes now? ;-)

Who cares about the memory subsystem when you can't find the cards near MSRP anyway? This just seems like another version of the 1060 that will be snapped up by miners. Or maybe I'm just missing something...

I went in to Best Buy today to get a cord my son needed and the only video card in stock (from any mfr in the entire store) was a gtx 1070ti. The ONLY card. Before the mining craze, you could walk into a best buy and see videocards 3 deep in every flavor from both Nvidia and AMD at this same location. Now you literally can't even buy them in retail in my state.

Threadripper got us the 7960x and 7980XE, Vega got us a titan with red and green lights, a tesla "lite" and now a 1060 with a different ram config.

Retail is a joke for buying video cards. Everyone knows the big online places get stock first.

To be honest the last video card I bought in retail was the one and only holy grail 9700pro from the only best buy I had access to. It was a pretty big deal at the time. Nowadays there are so many exceptional custom cooled versions of each card at more competetive prices that retail just hadn't made sense for a long time at the high end. However due to artificial pricing from all the big sites like Newegg, Best Buy actually sells most of the cards at good/competetive prices now which shows just how awful mining has made videocard prices.

I didn't realize internet cafes were still a thing.

They're massive in places like China, Taiwan, and South Korea. Taiwan and South Korea have higher personal computer ownership so they're not as massive as in China, but they're still popular.

Hilarious.

I went in to Best Buy today to get a cord my son needed and the only video card in stock (from any mfr in the entire store) was a gtx 1070ti. The ONLY card. Before the mining craze, you could walk into a best buy and see videocards 3 deep in every flavor from both Nvidia and AMD at this same location. Now you literally can't even buy them in retail in my state.

Went in to a Best Buy yesterday (day after Christmas) and they just had a GTX1080 sitting on the shelf. $600 video card. Surprised people would go to Best Buy to buy a $600 video card. I have bought several low-mid grade video cards ($150-$200 range) from them over the years, but that is what I expected to find there.

This just makes me want to quit PC gaming altogether. Video cards prices are too damn high. Look at the 10 series of cards, they've been out for over a year and are still 600 dollars. Ridiculous.

This just makes me want to quit PC gaming altogether. Video cards prices are too damn high. Look at the 10 series of cards, they've been out for over a year and are still 600 dollars. Ridiculous.
In your own defense for gaming, unless you are trying to blast out the latest and greatest on a 4k display, even a sub $200 gtx 970 used videocard can essentially play everything at 1080p 60fps. I still have customers asking me to put these in their cheap gaming builds that don't want/need4 to spend over $400 on a 1070. The gaming industry pretty much stalled on the release of the ps4/xbox years ago and all the hype for 4k gaming is just an upscaled 1080 image. There are literally only a handfull of games like Wolfenstein 2 that even start to push the threshold of this generation. While 4k is a nice upscale, it doesn't change the base design of a 1080p game.

Blame Mining. That's really the only thing.

I bought a GTX 1080 for 380 (after discounts) just before mining went nuts. (There was a tiny window where the 1080 was getting cheaper after the TI's came out.)

Then they jumped another 200$ in the space of 2 weeks or something stupid.

In your own defense for gaming, unless you are trying to blast out the latest and greatest on a 4k display, even a sub $200 gtx 970 used videocard can essentially play everything at 1080p 60fps. I still have customers asking me to put these in their cheap gaming builds that don't want/need4 to spend over $400 on a 1070. The gaming industry pretty much stalled on the release of the ps4/xbox years ago and all the hype for 4k gaming is just an upscaled 1080 image. There are literally only a handfull of games like Wolfenstein 2 that even start to push the threshold of this generation. While 4k is a nice upscale, it doesn't change the base design of a 1080p game.

I don't guess I REALLY need to upgrade but it would be nice to have the option at a reasonable price. I'm still running a GTX 980 witha 6700K at 1080p. I would like to use DSR more on some of the latest titles at 1440p though without having to sacrifice frames below 60fps.

The current prices are due to the Holiday rush.

Before December, you could get GTX 1060 6GB cards for MSRP, and GTX 1070 Ti cards for MSRP, and GTX 1080 cards for MSRP. Just give stock a few weeks to catch back up.

It does suck that mining is still a thing, because we don't see nearly as big a price cuts over the course of things. But prices will eventually fall.

Back