Nvidia stock?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devlyyn

n00b
Not sure how [H]ot this deal really is but Nividia stock (NVDA) got smashed yesterday, losing more than 35%. Its only about 10 cents above its 52 week low and it might be a great deal given the recent popularity of the 6800 line among computer enthusiasts. Just a thought ;)

everyone go out and buy a 6800 while i buy soem nvidia stock!

what was the reason for the drop?

I've been considering dropping some money on a few companies.. but i don't know.. all the tax issues that come with it.. cuase i get grants for school and crap.. and i don't want to deal with more paper work.... :(

Where is the best place to buy stocks online?

Or should I even do that?

Devlyyn said:
Not sure how [H]ot this deal really is but Nividia stock (NVDA) got smashed yesterday, losing more than 35%. Its only about 10 cents above its 52 week low and it might be a great deal given the recent popularity of the 6800 line among computer enthusiasts. Just a thought ;)
I wouldn't buy it if it dropped below its 52 week average (for more than a few days anyway).

Devlyyn you follow canslim guidelines by any chance?

I already have a diversified stock portfolio and I don't believe that this is really a [H]ot Deal. You should consider what a lot of analysts are saying about the company as well as the spokeman for the company saying that "there is no rebound in sight".

Before anyone dumps money into this stock, do your homework, I looked around for a few minutes and even at this price I don't see any potential for good short/medium term gains. The biggest turn off is that NVIDIA didn't even warn anyone that they may not hit their earnings expectations prior to the actual release of the 2nd quarter numbers. Then they offically announce in the 2nd quater they only earned 20% of what they estimated, that's the whole reason behind the stock dumping.Even at this price, buyer beware IMHO

Oh yeah, IMO nothing in the stock market is ever a 'sure deal'. There is alot of risk involved but the general point is to get in low and get out high. The market has been struggling in general these past couple of weeks with dissappointing employment figures this week and the insanely high price of oil. But yeah, Nvidia missed their earnings big time which is a major turn off for investors. You have to be careful, but this is a time where you may find a good value. Look at their pipeline-- the 6800 series is selling very well. I dont know what kind of management issues they may be facing for it to be this unexpected (even if you miss earnings, a 35% price drop is not normal). I would expect it to go up 1.5-2% on monday to correct for this 'over correction', but keep your eye out.

As for online stock trading: www.sharebuilder.com is an excellent site. NO minimum balance (starting or otherwise), a low $15.95 commission for real time trades and they offer the opportunity to buy partial shares (ie buy $100 of microsoft rather than an even number of shares). If you buy partial shares you choose which tuesday of the month you want the transaction to go through and the commission is only $4!! per trade. I've used it for a couple years now and have had no problems.

i wouldnt ,

the smartest thing i would advise if you were to invest in the market would be take a large sum roughly 5k + and invest in the S&P 500 and just keep it there for years.

Devlyyn said:
There is alot of risk involved but the general point is to get in low and get out high.
The effectiveness of "buy low & sell high" vs "buy high & sell higher" is debatable. Obviously it would be too much for me to explain here but the idea is to hop on a winner, ride it out for days, weeks, mebbe months, then take your profits. Its the method thats outlined in Investor's Bussiness Daily (IBD is a fantastic stock research tool btw). Using this method of investing takes more research than usual but the rewards are immense when combined with an 8% sell rule...that is selling the stock if it drops more than 8% below your purchase price (fool-proof insurance imho).

I haven't looked up Nvidia's IBD rankings lately but it may be worth a look.

Thx for the link to Sharebuilder BTW.

People are also overestimating the effect of the new 6800 line on the profit margin for nvidia, due to the recent benchmarks and higher demand. Note that a lot of consumers are left in the dust with this (at least the ultra) card because A) they can't afford it, and B) they can't find it. The GT is also in limited quantity, although not nearly to the same degree, and it also ranges quite expensively compared to previous generations of cards. So it might be a good maneuver to not forecast a rebound just because the demand has peaked a bit for one line of new cards, because there are other factors (even a lot that I haven't gone into). For the most part, do your research, and remember that generally when the experts say there's no sign of a rebound anytime soon, they're more than likely correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back