NVIDIA rumored to be preparing GeForce RTX 4080/4070 SUPER cards

4080 Super has the potential to be really good depending on the price...right now the only 4000 series card worth buying on the high end is the 4090

Given the rumours that 3nm gaming GPUs are expected only in 2025, & also insufficient vram for all cards below 4090, it makes sense for nvidia to refresh the entire stack next year

4080 super — 20gb
4070ti super — 16gb

4070 super — same vram

4060 ti super — 12gb
4060 super — 10gb

4050 — 8gb
4030 — 6gb

Given the rumours that 3nm gaming GPUs are expected only in 2025, & also insufficient vram for all cards below 4090, it makes sense for nvidia to refresh the entire stack next year

yeah Nvidia really needs to fix their VRAM issue...AMD is killing them in that aspect

Hopefully Nvidia doesn't go full retard on pricing again.

the MSRP of the 4080 is $1200 and the 4090 is $1600...so it looks like Nvidia is going to price the 4080 Ti/Super at $1400...which is still a crazy price since the 4080 was overpriced to begin with

or maybe a price drop of the 4080 to $1000 and the 4080 Ti will be the new $1200 card

If they have any sense at all they'll drop the price of the old cards and have the new ones take their places. But wait, Moore's Law is dead for gamers, amirite?

Turning 2.0. Nvidia taking us back to summer 2019 again. (It worked so well last time) lol! let me know when the 5000 series drops. But hopefully like some are saying the super refresh will at least give more vram. That could be something at least.

Didn't we go through this song and dance with Ampere? I doubt NVIDIA will be bringing back the "SUPER" branding.
They used that branding once and now every rumor since Turing is how they are doing a "Super refresh".

The Super branding was really dumb. This is what Ti's are for, but I guess they fucked that up with the 4070 Ti.

If they drop all their prices by 20-30% and have these new cards occupy those 30% dropped prices, we'd all consider it a success. But nVidia isn't going to do that. Sad as it is to say, no one expects a 4080 Super to launch at $800, even though that would 'cause a sales frenzy. They just don't have a reason to. They don't want to sell that many cards anyway (rather use fab time on AI), and they already are competitive in terms of performance per dollar and are ahead in feature set.

If all it does is either raise prices or keep them the same, then for most it's DOA and not worth dropping a dime into. May as well wait for 5 series.

4080 Super has the potential to be really good depending on the price...right now the only 4000 series card worth buying on the high end is the 4090

yup, it will still be to just buy a 4090 or nothing at all.

4080 is a great card, at a bad price. If they were 800, they would be great. IMO, the 4070 ti shouldn't even exist right now. It should be 4070 and 4080.

Nvidia didn't leave themselves as much room this time, to simply add "ti".
Well if the 4080 Super uses an AD102… they could do quite well in closing the gap on the 4090.

The rest of the stack could get weird, slightly faster but significantly better lows.

Well if the 4080 Super uses an AD102…
I'm not sure why people keep trying to bring up the history with the different chips. Its clear that AMD and Nvidia both, are bucking that. You are paying for the end performance and the naming is based on that. Not which chip is under the heatsink.

yup, it will still be to just buy a 4090 or nothing at all.

What you spend your money on is something I would respect. That said, I do not see a single game or program out there, unless you are making money from it, that justifies or even means that a 4090 at $1600 is worth it, at all. Games, back in the 2000's and maybe up to 2018 were often impressive and unique but, not really so much anymore.

What you spend your money on is something I would respect. That said, I do not see a single game or program out there, unless you are making money from it, that justifies or even means that a 4090 at $1600 is worth it, at all. Games, back in the 2000's and maybe up to 2018 were often impressive and unique but, not really so much anymore.
I don't know man, spending $1600 to play Cyberpunk with raytracing seems worth it to me (sarcasm).

I'm not sure why people keep trying to bring up the history with the different chips. Its clear that AMD and Nvidia both, are bucking that. You are paying for the end performance and the naming is based on that. Not which chip is under the heatsink.
The comment is made because the 4080 already use almost all the AD103 chip, going from 95% of the core to 100% would not be much, memory system change aside a 4080 super would not bring much.

Would a 15% faster card would be possible without doign a new chip or going to the worst bin reserve of the AD102 that poster would not mind it.

Considering the product stack, they could use the super just as a excuse to reduce the pricing where they want it to be without an official massive price cut announcement with no apparent reason.

The 4070TI already use 100% of the AD104, not much place to go, bad AD103 that cannot be ship in laptop anymore.. maybe

could gddr7 being ready "save them", easy bump without much work

They arguably already have pretty much all they need, just have to adjust name and price has needed.

The comment is made because the 4080 already use almost all the AD103 chip, going from 95% of the core to 100% would not be much, memory system change aside a 4080 super would not bring much.

Would a 15% faster card would be possible without doign a new chip or going to the worst bin reserve of the AD102 that poster would not mind it.

Considering the product stack, they could use the super just as a excuse to reduce the pricing where they want it to be without an official massive price cut announcement with no apparent reason.

The 4070TI already use 100% of the AD104, not much place to go, bad AD103 that cannot be ship in laptop anymore.. maybe

could gddr7 being ready "save them", easy bump without much work

They arguably already have pretty much all they need, just have to adjust name and price has needed.
Well the 3070 ti did a bunch of stuff on paper to try and justify itself and-----that resulted in single digit gains over a 3070.

Point being, I could see Nvidia shafting the 4070 ti super in a similar way, if there even is one.

Instead though, they should just make a 4070 super, drop the price of the 4070, drop the price of the 4080, do a 4080 super, and phase out the 4070 ti.

Point being, I could see Nvidia shafting the 4070 ti super in a similar way, if there even is one.
Yeah could see unlike the 3070ti that used the new SKU name excuse to rise price, having a new product just to have a new product even if they are almost irrelevant hardware wise just to change price (but down) without loosing face.

There is a lot of room between the 4070 (5888 units) and the TI for a super to make sense, the if there is even one being a big if.

If the $800 8900xt beat by a good enough (or a $550 8800xt that get too close) they could need to shake stuff up, maybe Turing super generation level.

If the $800 8900xt beat by a good enough (or a $550 8800xt that get too close) they could need to shake stuff up, maybe Turing super generation level.
Based on current rumours, unlikely to be $800 cards in 2023 by AMD, I guess. 2025 is more like it.

I expect stiff competition in $550 & lower bracket next year between nvidia, amd, & intel. 3nm unlikely by that time. So a super refresh of the whole stack next year seems the way to go.

That said, I do not see a single game or program out there, unless you are making money from it, that justifies or even means that a 4090 at $1600 is worth it, at all.
What about crypto mining? Is that still a thing?

The 4090 on the 102 and the 4080 on the 103 have a huge gap between them. But the 4080 doesn’t leave a lot on the table for growth, changing it over to a 102 they could easily land that at a half way point between the 4080 and the 4090 and call that a day.

I don't really care about them releasing Supers of lower end cards, but it would kind of suck for me if they released a 4090 Super/Ti shortly after, because then my own purchase, which I just finally committed to, would lose some value. Knowing my luck, it'll happen though.

The thing that made me realize if I was itching for an upgrade, AMD just wasn't going to provide is looking at the 4080 vs 7900 XTX review earlier: https://hardforum.com/threads/techspot-7900xtx-vs-4080-revisited.2030904/

I was kind of rooting for the AMD chip to just be a much better value in that review, but... it didn't happen, their conclusion was that it was still sort of overpriced, even as low as its prices had gotten. So, no choice. I just really wanted a better GPU than my 3080 Ti for some reason unknown to me and the only thing that could provide it is a 4090.

but it would kind of suck for me if they released a 4090 Super/Ti shortly after, because then my own purchase, which I just finally committed to, would lose some value. Knowing my luck, it'll happen though.

Prices are creeping up for the 4090. So you should be good

Also No pressure from AMD on Nvidia to release a 4090 ti

Interesting. Price creep for RTX 4090

An examination of current RTX 4090 pricing reveals that only the more costly GPUs are available. In addition, since they launched, the only card always at MSRP—Nvidia's Founders Edition—has almost disappeared. This GPU was a Best Buy exclusive, and we didn't even see it come up in a search for "RTX 4090." Once we narrowed the search to "Founders Edition," it appeared and was out of stock. According to Tom's Hardware's analysis, this is a new phenomenon for the card, indicating something is going on with the supply of these GPUs.

Sure, you can still buy an RTX 4090, but if you want one at MSRP, your only option right now appears to be the PNY version at Best Buy. Over on Amazon and Newegg, you won't find an MSRP card, which deviates from precedent. The least expensive cards are one from Galax for $1,654 on Amazon or a Gigabyte card on Newegg for $1,649. That means the smallest premium you'll pay is $50 over MSRP, but most available GPUs cost more than that, so you're looking at paying an additional $100 to $400 to own the world's most powerful GPU.

This situation seems to result from what we reported in August: that Nvidia was shifting production of its biggest chips to its AI accelerators, where margins are much higher. The same report said retailers were also finding the supply of RTX 4090s severely constrained, which aligns with what we're seeing now. Restricting the supply of the RTX 4090 is also a way to ensure prices remain high while helping the company divert precious TSMC resources to its AI chips. The true source of this price creep remains elusive. But it also seems certain that the lack of competition isn't helping.

https://www.extremetech.com/gaming/nvidia-rtx-4090-prices-are-going-up

4080 is a great card, at a bad price. If they were 800, they would be great. IMO, the 4070 ti shouldn't even exist right now. It should be 4070 and 4080.
Even just looking at the stack for 40-series (chip tiering, etc.), as well as its performance characteristics against previous gen, it's clear that the 4070 Ti should just be called the 4070 as it matches the previous gen flagship 3090 Ti, which is what standard 70-cards have done for gens now. But they got greedy trying to make it a "4080 12GB".

Nvidia really screwed up the naming calling it a 4070 Ti.

Back