Nvidia RTX 4090 power connectors melting?

Of course it's a problem that hasn't gone away. Human stupidity is neverending and all-encompassing. Did anyone really think that this would dissappear because the fault was found to be users not plugging it in all the way? I mean, c'mon; we still got people out here believing the fucking planet is a flat saucer floating in space.

Of course it's a problem that hasn't gone away. Human stupidity is neverending and all-encompassing. Did anyone really think that this would dissappear because the fault was found to be users not plugging it in all the way? I mean, c'mon; we still got people out here believing the fucking planet is a flat saucer floating in space.
I thought it was already established that it's a design flaw and not a user flaw? This keeps happening to a lot of users would suggest that Nvidia did a poor job designing the connector. Exactly how many other GPU's in history ever had a problem from melting connectors? Well, besides this one 6950.

View: https://youtu.be/yn91-dYjNeA?si=5vrIDnBhbotimXdo

This has been covered ad nauseum, in the end a connector that lacks the robustness to be used by the average consumer, including being used incorrectly, is a bad design.

People who work in fields where design issues can cause the loss of life understand this. People who work the front desk at a resort, like zerobarrier, don't. In the end he lacks the experience and skill set to add anything meaningful to this topic, and is merely here to defend Nvidia.

Here's another video to go along with all the rest.

View: https://youtu.be/p0fW5SLFphU?si=cvkrvzTsO2KNY1WS

This has been covered ad nauseum, in the end a connector that lacks the robustness to be used by the average consumer, including being used incorrectly, is a bad design.

People who work in fields where design issues can cause the loss of life understand this. People who work the front desk at a resort, like zerobarrier, don't. In the end he lacks the experience and skill set to add anything meaningful to this topic, and is merely here to defend Nvidia.

Here's another video to go along with all the rest.

View: https://youtu.be/p0fW5SLFphU?si=cvkrvzTsO2KNY1WS

It's a rarely encountered issue under a tenth of a percent if not less.... and it's still user error. The design is fine.

If something is designed in a way that users are more likely to have errors when using it, then it is a problem.
They aren't likely to have errors with it. The number of actual cases is infestiminally small compared to the number sold. There's always going to be a handful of people who have an issue with anything. This is below normal numbers even. If anything, it's well-designed by your view.

It's a rarely encountered issue under a tenth of a percent if not less.... and it's still user error. The design is fine.
There is a reason why engineering controls (connector design) is placed higher than administrative controls (teaching people to properly plug things in) in effectiveness. Whenever you have the possibility of taking human error out of the equation, you should do so. And they did so (presumably) with the 12V-2X6 connector.
They aren't likely to have errors with it. The number of actual cases is infestiminally small compared to the number sold. There's always going to be a handful of people who have an issue with anything. This is below normal numbers even. If anything, it's well-designed by your view.
Infinitesimally small is still not 0. If you can design a connector that has 0 chance of user error short of physical damage (they did if the testing is to be believed), why not use it? It's not like the connector costs more or the R&D was extremely expensive.

There is a reason why engineering controls (connector design) is placed higher than administrative controls (teaching people to properly plug things in) in effectiveness. Whenever you have the possibility of taking human error out of the equation, you should do so. And they did so (presumably) with the 12V-2X6 connector.

Infinitesimally small is still not 0. If you can design a connector that has 0 chance of user error short of physical damage (they did if the testing is to be believed), why not use it? It's not like the connector costs more or the R&D was extremely expensive.
Common sense stuff; didn't think those basics needed to be elaborated upon. You will never reach zero, human stupidity knows no bounds. The defect rate on these us is below average, so by your logic it's actually a very robust design.

That is something I would like to see actual stats on, but I don't know that anyone has them or has released them: What is the failure rate, regardless of the cause, in terms of failures per million units and then equally important how does that compare to other high-current connections like 8-pin PCIe power. While there's been lots of tech-tuber coverage, that doesn't mean it is common, just that it is popular to talk about. However likewise, just because it isn't happening to most people doesn't mean it isn't a bigger problem than it should be.

Like if PCIe 8-pin has a failure of 1 in 1,000,000 units and 12VHPWR has a failure rate of 10 in 1,000,000 units, that's still an issue to be resolved, even though it means that 99.999% of units don't experience a failure. On the other hand if they are about similar, then it really is just media fluff.

That said, if the new 12V-2X6 cuts failures further, it is nothing but good. Even if the failure rate is low, lower is always better.

Common sense stuff; didn't think those basics needed to be elaborated upon. You will never reach zero, human stupidity knows no bounds. The defect rate on these us is below average, so by your logic it's actually a very robust design.
Neither of us said anything about what an average defect rate should be. Stop putting words in our mouths.

If the connector was robustly designed, it should not have burned unless it was modified, physically damaged, or overloaded. The burn rate should have been 0, which it clearly was not.

1 or 2 instances happening to media outlets could potentially have been chalked up to bad luck, but the number that have happened indicates a pattern. The pattern (and subsequent testing) clearly showed a problem with the connector when tight cable routing or small misalignment are involved.

The fact that the new connector stays far cooler in the same scenarios show that the old connector was fundamentally flawed in design. It had no margin for error while the new connector will tolerate a far greater error range.

That said, if the new 12V-2X6 cuts failures further, it is nothing but good. Even if the failure rate is low, lower is always better.

Does the 12v-2x6 still have the ridiculous clearance requirements? Or can we bend the cables like 8 PIN?

This is the type of comment that I'm talking about.

1/10 of 1% sounds ridiculously low to almost anyone, but in discussions about safety factors and failure modes, it's not.

Tsumi said it above, engineering controls vd administrative. A robust design would NOT fail in this manner, even when used incorrectly. The mode of failure should never be a fire and the revised specification is enough to show the initial design was not robust enough.

I'm sorry you got have blinders on to say this design is fine, thus why they are moving on from it and the nightmare it has been for them. AMD would not even adopt the standard due to all the issues, that alone speaks volumes about this issue. It was a bad design, no one should be defending it. Thankfully that design is dead, hopefully the new design connecter is better.

A robust design would NOT fail in this manner, even when used incorrectly. The mode of failure should never be a fire and the revised specification is enough to show the initial design was not robust enough.

There's no way in hell this thing was ever going to be "robust". Current tried, true, and tested 8 pin connectors spread out a 600W load across 4 freaking connectors. This standard tried to do 600W on one tiny connector, which is smaller than any of the individual 8 pin connectors. Like power electronics is just power electronics. Unless you're using new exotic materials or some huge breakthrough in some signaling design (which isn't relevant here, we're just feeding DC into components), you don't just get to put more watts into less space while still having the same margin of safety.

This video is really eye opening in terms of how much leeway the 8 pin connectors had, safety wise, over the current 12VHPWR connector. One of the first things I said when I looked at the 12VHPWR connector, which stopped me from buying a 4090 for a long time, is that the only thing going through my head when I looked at it was, "This is stupid." I didn't even need someone to make one long video telling me this. I could just look at the 8 pin connectors, compare them to this tiny 600W connector, and reach that conclusion.

Also, most videos on this subject that attribute it to "gross user error" also probably didn't test slightly improper plugins over a VERY LONG PERIOD, or perhaps test how the connectors wear down over time during any work on the PC or case. GamerNexus noted that failure could also happen due to contact wear and tear if you unplug and plug it back in enough. It doesn't help that it's essentially impossible to even plug in the connector without going out of spec for it, too. Because you're not supposed to bend it before a certain point (or bent a certain direction; this is somewhat written in fine print, by the way). Many people outright ignore this and bend it anyway, because it's basically impossible due to the 4090's width to plug into almost any case (save very wide ones) without bending. Or getting an angle adapter, which those have been shown to have issues, too. Heck, he goes over that in his video at a certain timestamp, too.

Finally, I agree: designing a connector which can, even at a small rate, malfunction (and catastrophically) simply from not being plugged in all the way: it's just bad design. It's basically just there to look better than the original large cables and that's it. It's a byproduct of this "PC fashion show" industry we have going on in the PC building space, but I digress. It's also telling that MSI set a hard power limit to all of their 4090 cards, much lower than what other manufacturers would allow. JayZ noted it was weird, and it's like they knew something that others didn't. I think this is what they knew: the connector is a dumb idea. I handle my 4090 with baby gloves and make sure my adapter/connector bends at a proper distance. I had to literally buy a new case to accommodate everything, but it was the only choice.

If your car caught fire 1/100th of a percent of the time because you didn't shut the door over the gas cap properly, nobody'd try to claim it was fine. IIRC there have been NHTSA-mandated recalls in the past for as few as 7 incidents.

The fact that the new connector stays far cooler in the same scenarios show that the old connector was fundamentally flawed in design. It had no margin for error while the new connector will tolerate a far greater error range.
This is important. If the original version of the connector was fine, why fix it? nVidia could've done the Apple "you're holding it wrong" thing. But they didn't.

Finally, I agree: designing a connector which can, even at a small rate, malfunction (and catastrophically) simply from not being plugged in all the way: it's just bad design. It's basically just there to look better than the original large cables and that's it. It's a byproduct of this "PC fashion show" industry we have going on in the PC building space, but I digress. It's also telling that MSI set a hard power limit to all of their 4090 cards, much lower than what other manufacturers would allow. JayZ noted it was weird, and it's like they knew something that others didn't. I think this is what they knew: the connector is a dumb idea. I handle my 4090 with baby gloves and make sure my adapter/connector bends at a proper distance. I had to literally buy a new case to accommodate everything, but it was the only choice.
Yeah, my MSI SuprimX 4090 has a hard-set limit of 520W, well below the 600W some of these are allowed to push. This was also a theory of mine as well. Honestly, I get even better OCs and benchmarks than most cards with the 600W limit. It is still pretty much silicon lottery on GPUs for OCing the Core/Memory. Honestly, past benchmarking or a demanding game like CP2077 at 4K, I generally leave it at default power limit with a medium OC.

That being said, I do love a single connector and have had 0 issues with this card. The MSI ones are built really well and perform great. Happy with my brand move considering my addiction to eVGA since I bought my first PCIe video card... lol.

Nah the design is garbage which is why they already v2’d it and the 12VHPWR connector has been phased out and replaced with the 12v- 2x6 connector. Which is subtly different from the 12VHPWR connector, but backwards compatible with the cable.
It addresses specific issues with connector gauge and fit. So it connects easier and holds better.

The 12VHPWR connector itself is fine if it were a professional connector, something only in servers or workstations, hell automotive or HVAC even. But for a consumer product it’s garbage. The fact you need to apply as much force as you do to properly seat it is completely counter to the mantra of “don’t force it” which has been drilled into just about every PC builder for the past 40 years.

It’s a good connector in the wrong market.

If your car caught fire 1/100th of a percent of the time because you didn't shut the door over the gas cap properly, nobody'd try to claim it was fine. IIRC there have been NHTSA-mandated recalls in the past for as few as 7 incidents.
This doesn't catch fire, it just stops working because the plastic deforms some.

Does the 12v-2x6 still have the ridiculous clearance requirements? Or can we bend the cables like 8 PIN?

Don't know, but you can buy angled ones. Seasonic sells nice cables for their PSUs that are angled.

There's no way in hell this thing was ever going to be "robust". Current tried, true, and tested 8 pin connectors spread out a 600W load across 4 freaking connectors. This standard tried to do 600W on one tiny connector, which is smaller than any of the individual 8 pin connectors. Like power electronics is just power electronics. Unless you're using new exotic materials or some huge breakthrough in some signaling design (which isn't relevant here, we're just feeding DC into components), you don't just get to put more watts into less space while still having the same margin of safety.

Well two things about that design:

1) That is a stupid amount of cabling, and that is part of the reason to need a new cable. The idea of "Just hook up 4 cables" it getting rather excessive. At some point, you need a connector better suited, just like we did when we switched from molex to PCIe power.

2) Some of the "success" may be because it actually can do more than it is used for, so manufacturers can get away with sucking. Those 8-pin connectors can do 300-watts. They do on the PSU side (notice the Seasonic cable) and you see it in servers. It is just the GPU end that was done different and spec'd for 150 watt. The connector design itself allowed for twice the current. Well, that means that manufacturers could be lazy in their implementation and while being outside the spec, still be in what you'd actually see in use.

I'm pretty sure it will be more clearance recommendations rather than requirements. The sense pins should disengage and limit power if the connection wasn't good. The PSU manufacturers will still claim requirements though because they don't know whether you're using a GPU with the 12VHPWR connector or 12v-2x6.
Most PSUs have 2 8-pin GPU connections per single 8-pin PSU connection. The number of 12v wires is 3 per connection. Those 3 wires (and connectors) are already handling 300 watts. 6 wires at 600 watts is the same amount of power per pin and wire. There was arguably too much overkill in the 8-pin design but changing power allowances without changing the connector would lead to people overloading single 8-pin GPU cables.
This doesn't catch fire, it just stops working because the plastic deforms some.
That's just semantics and you know it. A robust design would have prevented physical damage from reasonable human negligence. It can be hard to spot a connector not seated in properly when working in tight spaces, i.e. ITX cases.

Coming from the Engineering field (Electrical to be exact), if equipment can injure a human or can damage itself within specified operating conditions, it is a bad design, case and point. Typically, you even add protection to the device from unusual operating conditions, and in the case of this cable, that revision with the sense pins put further back to ensure a connection. There are obviously exceptions to this rule, and you can't always get past some idiot doing something they shouldn't, but normal use and reasonable expectations should never cause harm or damage.

On that note, is there a comparison somewhere between failure rate of the new connector and old connector? I could have sworn even the 8-pin design had issues on a few video cards years back, but I could be wrong.

No, it isn't. A fire can be dangerous, while a melted connector is an inconvenient rma for a fix.
Alright, I'll put words in your mouth this time. So basically you're saying it's okay for electrical connectors to be designed such that only in perfect conditions will they not melt and as long as they only melt and don't burn it's perfectly acceptable. And by extension, that goes for everything else that can be damaged by a moment of overlooking things. As long as it doesn't cause injuries, property damage as a result of minor mistakes is absolutely okay.

Alright, I'll put words in your mouth this time. So basically you're saying it's okay for electrical connectors to be designed such that only in perfect conditions will they not melt and as long as they only melt and don't burn it's perfectly acceptable. And by extension, that goes for everything else that can be damaged by a moment of overlooking things. As long as it doesn't cause injuries, property damage as a result of minor mistakes is absolutely okay.
Well, something you do have to keep in mind is that you can't have something that is 100% safe or failure proof. If your requirement for a power connection is one that can never melt, never fail, etc then you have no connections you can use, including even power cords like NEMA 5-15P. You can't demand "no failures, ever, even if not used properly."

What we can have, and should have, are two things:

1) An acceptably low failure rate. What that is can well depend on our use case. For power connectors in computers, I'd like to know how 8-pin PCIe compares to 12VHPWR. We should want the new connector to be around as low a failure rate as the one it is replacing, if not lower. I'd like to see numbers to know what the failure rate actually is. Just because we hear a lot about it doesn't mean anything. For example, a 2018 media study found that over half the deaths talked about in the NYT were homicide or terrorism, but those combined make up less than 3% of actual causes of death, with heart disease being the actual far biggest cause.

2) That when a failure occurs, it doesn't cause catastrophic or compounding failures. So for something like this, that it melts but doesn't catch fire, or cause the computer to catch fire or the like. A lot of UL testing is centered around things like this, the idea of "If something has a problem, will that problem be contained."

We should want things to fail rarely, and when they do fail to not cause a major problem. However we can't demand a zero-failure rate, that's completely unrealistic.

A big point I took away from Roman's video (see around the 13:40 mark) was that even when using a 4090 with a dedicated sensor and warning light to confirm the cable was supposedly completely seated and plugged in properly, the card still had power and stability issues because tiny lateral movements on the test bench would disturb the 4090's power cable enough to make for improper power delivery without triggering the warning light to go out.

I mostly agree with the video's conclusion that there should be two connectors. However, rather than for pure redundancy the connector itself should have been limited to 300 watts with thicker gauge pins and cables.

Last edited:
Every electrical connector/plug known to man has failed and melted or burned. They still do to this day. Simple 110v plugs melt or burn every day.

SMDH at idiots.

On that note, is there a comparison somewhere between failure rate of the new connector and old connector? I could have sworn even the 8-pin design had issues on a few video cards years back, but I could be wrong.
No, you are not wrong. People seem to ignore the countless melted 8 pin pcie connectors in favor of bitching about this connector because Nvidia, plain and simple.

1705456177243.jpeg
1705456615138.jpeg
1705456261759.jpeg
1705456291038.jpeg

I could keep posting countless other pictures, but you get the drift.
Every electrical connector/plug known to man has failed and melted or burned. They still do to this day. Simple 110v plugs melt or burn every day.

SMDH at idiots.
The increase at the amount of idiots is what kills me, it's exponential. I always knew there were a lot of idiots when I was younger, but never in my wildest dreams did I ever imagine that idiots would start to dominate many facets of our everyday lives, let alone a geek niche such as computer hardware.

Coming from the Engineering field (Electrical to be exact), if equipment can injure a human or can damage itself within specified operating conditions, it is a bad design, case and point. Typically, you even add protection to the device from unusual operating conditions, and in the case of this cable, that revision with the sense pins put further back to ensure a connection. There are obviously exceptions to this rule, and you can't always get past some idiot doing something they shouldn't, but normal use and reasonable expectations should never cause harm or damage.

I remember the same issue, the 8 pin connectors were being worked loose as people were tugging things to make the cases look pretty and as a result the high voltages on those were melting and blah blah blah, hence the need for a new design. Be it the 12VHP, 2x6, or the upcoming ASUS and MSI board powered slot. The new connectors didn’t appear in a vacuum they were all dealing with too many warranty returns and sought out solutions.

The derBauer video is about the Cablemod "adapters", and not about Cables of any variation that I am aware of.

The issue with the adapter was that both sides of the connection between the card and the adapter, were PCB soldered connectors. This is a problem because both sides are inflexible. It's a different connection 'profile' for lack of a better word, than a card to cable connection. It's the situation both sides are in, in that design scenario. When neither sides metal components 'move', then even when plugged in properly, it's possible for some pins to socket connections to simply never touch or only partially touch. Cables are a different scenario and are much more reliable, just follow the recommendations and it will be fine.

Even cables with a built in 90 degree connector are fine. I used 12vhpwr on a 3090 for 2 years without issue, and the 4090 pulls the same power. The 3090's 12vhpwr connection was vertical to the PCB as well as angled. The angle really helped with cable management, and the 90degree bullshit was never needed.

Use cables, make sure they are fully plugged in, not being pulled taught, not pressed against the side of a case, not being stressed by cable bends right at the connector, and you will be fine.

There could have been some better decisions made regarding the connectors' design.
The clip should have been on both of the short sides. That would grip better but also allow angled connectors going in either direction to be easily unplugged. And some differences in the metal contacts would improve it.
Some consideration for the fact that the cards are huge should have been examined as well. It's a pci-sig specification, I'm sure Nvidia had some input into the design but someone just didn't engineer the connector as robustly as was needed. "An acceptably low failure rate" should be what we are all after.

I've stopped using the Cablemod 90degree adapter. But I have a cable with a 90degree connector that I got from aliexpress a year ago, no issues with it.

derBaur's idea of using 2 12vhpwr's on high power cards is a good idea as it puts sufficient redundancy into the power delivery. I think the card side connectors that are like what the 3090 had would also be a big help, something that eliminates the need for those 90degree connectors.

1) That is a stupid amount of cabling, and that is part of the reason to need a new cable. The idea of "Just hook up 4 cables" it getting rather excessive. At some point, you need a connector better suited, just like we did when we switched from molex to PCIe power.

Outside of like SFF, I don't really see this being an issue though, functionally. Even in SFF, it's not necessarily an issue because 8 pin connectors can easily be bent anyway due to having much larger allowances. People can also complain about airflow due to extra cabling, but fact is that cabling has a very miniscule influence on airflow in any properly built computer.

I'm also going to reiterate: this 12VHPWR connector literally tells you that it can't be bent before a certain length away from the plug. It's physically impossible--and I mean literally physically impossible--to actually accommodate that distance in most normal, and some even large size cases. The only reasonably priced one that I found was the CTE C700, and it has a fairly large footprint. Yes, there are 90-180 degree adapters that can help, but no one knows how well they'll actually hold up to multiple years of use. Because neither they nor the GPU have even been out for more than about a year, if that.

Again, just seems to be a "computer fashion show" symptom thing, again. Sigh.

I'm sure there have been failures in 8 pin connectors. The standard has, after all, been out for quite a long time. Like over half a century? By comparison 12VHPWR in the consumer space has been out for far less time. In other words, it's not an apples to apples comparison even if there was such a comparison, because the quantity of data on each side is far from equal. Even if we calculated a failure rate for the new connector, the confidence intervals and error margins would be useless because our sample size and length is too small. The thing is, though, the 8 pin standard even in theory is at least sound because it has such a large amount of safety built in, especially into larger gauge cabling. That means failures in it are much more likely to be bad implementations by individual manufacturers, freak accidents (ie too wide of a tolerance on PSU components of GPU power components), etc. Meanwhile the new connector has, by comparison, much less of that.

And yes, I love my MSI Suprim X Liquid as well. Like you, I was looking for someone to go with after EVGA, and it seems like MSI may be the closest. Well, I haven't had to deal with their RMA, so who knows? But at least I can use the tubing from the AIO as a wire anchor for the adapter as well, which lets me actually meet the new connector's ridiculous "lol no bends pls" standards...

No, you are not wrong. People seem to ignore the countless melted 8 pin pcie connectors in favor of bitching about this connector because Nvidia, plain and simple.

Yeah sure. Me, a person that's been buying Nvidia for several years now (or over a decade) almost exclusively... and has a 4090... is totally just a shill for "the other guys". Yep.

Well it's getting replaced anyway, and good riddance. Just too bad it's going to only be out for the 5090, if that. It should have been scrapped from the getgo.

Outside of like SFF, I don't really see this being an issue though, functionally. Even in SFF, it's not necessarily an issue because 8 pin connectors can easily be bent anyway due to having much larger allowances. People can also complain about airflow due to extra cabling, but fact is that cabling has a very miniscule influence on airflow in any properly built computer.

I'm also going to reiterate: this 12VHPWR connector literally tells you that it can't be bent before a certain length away from the plug. It's physically impossible--and I mean literally physically impossible--to actually accommodate that distance in most normal, and some even large size cases. The only reasonably priced one that I found was the CTE C700, and it has a fairly large footprint. Yes, there are 90-180 degree adapters that can help, but no one knows how well they'll actually hold up to multiple years of use. Because neither they nor the GPU have even been out for more than about a year, if that.

Again, just seems to be a "computer fashion show" symptom thing, again. Sigh.
It's not just fashion, it is practical, lots of cables can be an issue in all sorts of situations. Servers would be an example. Suppose you have a system that has 4 high power cards in it, which is not unheard of. You wanna run 16 cables? How do you even route all that and not screw up airflow? I mean you could make the same argument going back to OG AMP mate-n-lok/molex connector. Just use 6-8 (or more) of those!

While I'm not saying this particular connector was the right solution, I think we do need a new high-power connector as power requirements have grown.

It's not just fashion, it is practical, lots of cables can be an issue in all sorts of situations. Servers would be an example. Suppose you have a system that has 4 high power cards in it, which is not unheard of. You wanna run 16 cables? How do you even route all that and not screw up airflow? I mean you could make the same argument going back to OG AMP mate-n-lok/molex connector. Just use 6-8 (or more) of those!

While I'm not saying this particular connector was the right solution, I think we do need a new high-power connector as power requirements have grown.

You run 16 wires. Tie them together and get them out of the way of the airstream flow. It's not rocket science, and it's not even hard. At that point, you probably have multiple PSUs (and a special power grid, since it's going to be drawing 1600-2400W) already if you need 16 of them for all your cards. Like, yes, 16 wires is bulkier than 4-8 (because the newer standard will have 8 of them anyway), but I sort of doubt that the 2-4x increase is actually going to matter much. To have an appreciable increase due to extra wiring, when properly routed, you would need to have an absolute comparative clusterfuck in one configuration vs the other (like 40 wires or something). The only wire that I think could have appreciable airflow consequences is the IDE ribbon cable. That thing was legitimately an absolute solid wall. Unless you can have it flat, it's getting in the way somewhere. There's a reason it got killed off, and SATA is just better. Which is not what's happening here. Consider that to even run the 12VHPWR connector while being within its standard (which if you have a server, it has to be operating within standard), you can't bend it until beyond a certain point anyway. That means your server case is going to be bulky to begin with. So if you're using the same case that can accommodate the 12VHPWR connectors while being in spec, it's highly unlikely that the 8 pin connectors will be an issue either. You have a lot of clearance.

Furthermore, I think reliability matters more than convenience or (tiny differences in) airflow in the server space. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Edit: Not to say I don't see the possibility of a new connector being a decent idea as you said as you said, but this one definitely isn't it. Are we also going to keep pushing 600W into 800W, etc? Because just 4x8 pin... I don't really care about that. Once you start getting into 5x, 6x, 8x, etc... yeah maybe, but why are we allowing GPUs to just get into astronomic power usage to begin with?

Last edited:

View attachment 627829View attachment 627835View attachment 627832View attachment 627833

The increase at the amount of idiots is what kills me, it's exponential. I always knew there were a lot of idiots when I was younger, but never in my wildest dreams did I ever imagine that idiots would start to dominate many facets of our everyday lives, let alone a geek niche such as computer hardware.
And it seems that nVidia hired those idiots to design the connector. This is coming from a guy who has been building PC's since the early 90's and has always used nVidia cards until I got my son a 6600xt last Christmas. The other 4 computers in my house use a RTX 3070, two RTX 3060ti's and a GTX 1070. It is OK to admit that this connector was a bad design and I am glad that it has been updated.

Suppose you have a system that has 4 high power cards in it, which is not unheard of. You wanna run 16 cables? How do you even route all that and not screw up airflow?
Something like card edge connectors, instead, would be my first thought.

View attachment 627829View attachment 627835View attachment 627832View attachment 627833

Did those damages occur from user error like not pushing the cable all the way in? Because as far as I can tell the old 6 and 8-pin PCIe power cables have proven themselves quite reliable and idiot proof. You have to really mess up, probably intentionally, to cause the cable itself to fail. Just like your ordinary 110v or 220v power cables. Melting and burning cables do happen all the time but it is usually an indicator that something somewhere broke, shorted and caused excessive power to run through those cables which is a completely different issue than what 12hwpr had.

Did those damages occur from user error like not pushing the cable all the way in? Because as far as I can tell the old 6 and 8-pin PCIe power cables have proven themselves quite reliable and idiot proof. You have to really mess up, probably intentionally, to cause the cable itself to fail. Just like your ordinary 110v or 220v power cables. Melting and burning cables do happen all the time but it is usually an indicator that something somewhere broke, shorted and caused excessive power to run through those cables which is a completely different issue than what 12hwpr had.
It occurs to me now that maybe many of the people putting the blame squarely on the connector may not deal with your average consumer on a daily basis. I, for better or for worse, have to deal with hundreds of average people a day. And let me tell you, their idiocy knows no bounds. The thirst for doing the most moronic things is unquenchable.

Power strips still catch fire all the time. We still kind of accept some level of catastrophic failure if people misuse things. We need to stop thinking in binary. Blame can exist in both the connector and the users court. Same kind of people plug things in an outlet and then shove a dresser against the plug bending it half out of the socket and slowly tearing the cord out of the strain relief. Also nvidias CM should have been made to do more torture and abuse testing. My opinions.

It occurs to me now that maybe many of the people putting the blame squarely on the connector may not deal with your average consumer on a daily basis. I, for better or for worse, have to deal with hundreds of average people a day. And let me tell you, their idiocy knows no bounds. The thirst for doing the most moronic things is unquenchable.
So think about how dumb the average person is. Imagine HALF of all people are dumber than that.

Back