Nvidia reportedly pressures partners to stop them building next-gen Intel Battlemage GPUs (Rumor)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel like it depends how much hate and vitriol is spewed, and whether there is any actual evidence beyond conspiracy theorist fanboys.

If i'm not mistaken, nvidia has in the past put restrictions on card builders that they cannot have nVidia chips if they aren't exclusive. ie. No AMD cards. Wasn't it visionTek that got into a spat with them a number of years back and then was banned from buying NV chips?

Doubt it. Nvidia and intel hate is allowed here. Only threads locked are those with potential AMD mis-doings.

Just look at the power connector thread. Still alive even though it was proven to be 100% user error..
Eh we all know this one is true though.... Nvidia has a history of doing exactly this.
Still this is a "little birdie" told me story. Massive grain of salt till someone has something firm.

I feel like it depends how much hate and vitriol is spewed, and whether there is any actual evidence beyond conspiracy theorist fanboys.

If i'm not mistaken, nvidia has in the past put restrictions on card builders that they cannot have nVidia chips if they aren't exclusive. ie. No AMD cards. Wasn't it visionTek that got into a spat with them a number of years back and then was banned from buying NV chips?
Its only been 2 years since they essentially told the industry... if you brand the competition as gaming hardware, you go to the back of the allotment line. Maybe you get chips after everyone we likes gets what they need.

If true, this is quite ironic, considering how Intel treated AMD 20 years ago.

How does it feel to get a taste of your own medicine, Intel? :LOL:

More seriously though, as much as it hurts me to side with Intel, this is the very type of behavior that made me hate Intel to begin with, so if true, Nvidia needs to be destroyed.

No one should be allowed to manipulate the market like a monopolist, not Intel, not Nvidia, not anyone.

If Intel are smart, they will quickly sue them and get a settlement just like AMD did years ago.

Last edited:
Just look at the power connector thread. Still alive even though it was proven to be 100% user error..

It wasn't though.

It was a usability design error. 100% of the fault belongs with the design of that connector.

A product needs to be designed for the people who are going to be using it, and if it fails in typical use, it is a bad product.

The connector should have been more robust, and able to take the kind of abuse users were used to with previous 6 and 8 pin connectors. Since it couldn't, it was a failed design.

Calling it "100% user error" is akin to Apple's "you're holding it wrong".

Last edited:
I will repost this here without my opinion comment about Nvidia:

Nvidia has wanted to drop AIB partners ever since the first FE card appeared. The eVGA CEO claimed that Nvidia did not think AIB partners added much value and compared them to leeches.

I read the article. It’s reported that reportedly Nvidia told its AIB partners, and then goes on to talk about Nvidia’s sordid past with GPP and provides zero references or or facts about their original headline.

Consider Intel and Nvidia are looking at a partnership deal to produce Nvidia’s AI chips. Then factor in that Intel signed up for streamline, and the that Intel has less than a 2% marketshare with dGPU’s, I seriously doubt Nvidia would go and pull this kind of stunt, especially when they have something to lose by doing so.

AMD on the other hand… this could be them trying to find excuses for why the 7000-series cards aren’t doing so well compared to Nvidia’s. That or this is AMD’s PR response, trying to get in people’s ear and start another rumor, with zero fact to cover their blunder over the whole DLSS shenanigans. It’s simple to do since Nvidia does have a checkered past.

Intel is barely a blip, the AIB’s Intel has partnered with don’t have much in the way of Nvidia GPU’s and we’re primarily selling old AMD cards. There is potential Nvidia could say something to the likes of Asus or Acer or perhaps MSI, but they make more from selling Intel based motherboards than they do from selling GPU’s so it would be in the opposite of their interests to do that.
Nvidia is a bully for sure but Jensen isn’t stupid and he knows that.

The big thing that the AIB’s bring right now is distribution and marketing, but with online sales dwarfing brick and mortar and Amazon handling most of even the AIB’s warehousing and distribution their position and value is weaker than ever because Nvidia is at a size where they don’t need Asus, MSI, Acer, or anybody else marketing their cards to drum up interest, at this stage they pretty much sell themselves (or don’t, pricing this gen is a joke, and a bad one at that) so Jensen isn’t that wrong about the AIB’s either, lots of factories out there who can assemble the parts with equal or better QC than the brand recognized AIB’s, so what value are they adding?
At this stage many of the AIB have outsourced many of the jobs that they did that “added value” and by doing so they weakened their positions, as NVidia can bring things in house and outsource to those same jobs to the same companies the AIB’s have and save themselves 10-15% off the top.

TLDR;
I don’t buy this rumour, not because it wouldn’t be plausible but because Nvidia telling the AIB’s they want to ditch to not do something gains them absolutely nothing short or long term.

Intel is barely a blip, the AIB’s Intel has partnered with don’t have much in the way of Nvidia GPU’s and we’re primarily selling old AMD cards. There is potential Nvidia could say something to the likes of Asus or Acer or perhaps MSI, but they make more from selling Intel based motherboards than they do from selling GPU’s so it would be in the opposite of their interests to do that.
Nvidia is a bully for sure but Jensen isn’t stupid and he knows that.

The big thing that the AIB’s bring right now is distribution and marketing, but with online sales dwarfing brick and mortar and Amazon handling most of even the AIB’s warehousing and distribution their position and value is weaker than ever because Nvidia is at a size where they don’t need Asus, MSI, Acer, or anybody else marketing their cards to drum up interest, at this stage they pretty much sell themselves (or don’t, pricing this gen is a joke, and a bad one at that) so Jensen isn’t that wrong about the AIB’s either, lots of factories out there who can assemble the parts with equal or better QC than the brand recognized AIB’s, so what value are they adding?
At this stage many of the AIB have outsourced many of the jobs that they did that “added value” and by doing so they weakened their positions, as NVidia can bring things in house and outsource to those same jobs to the same companies the AIB’s have and save themselves 10-15% off the top.

TLDR;
I don’t buy this rumour, not because it wouldn’t be plausible but because Nvidia telling the AIB’s they want to ditch to not do something gains them absolutely nothing short or long term.

The biggest dent was the FE designs. When nvidia decided to compete directly against them. While AMD limits the reference designs and give partners the ability to expand on that nvidia kinda defeats that purpose. Given how FE models have the most reviews most demand. I was surprised AIBs were able to hold nvidia off form releasing 4070 ti.

Intel seems to be gaining popularity now with their improvements in driver if Battle image can hit the mid market hard I think they are likely to make more per card even if they sell less.

TLDR;
Yeah I'm not buying either. Guess the mild AMD FSR/dlss controversy (which is believable, but also conjecture so treated as such) didn't generate enough clicks. This Nvidia story is more controversial, but I think more unlikely than the AMD one.

If i'm not mistaken, nvidia has in the past put restrictions on card builders that they cannot have nVidia chips if they aren't exclusive. ie
There was story about brand being exclusive, like Asus cannot have a ROG Amd card and a ROG Nvidia card, but builder ?

Considering how low AIB margin are and their willingness I imagine to share risk, I do not see AMD or NVIDIA being that eager to loose all of them, specially if the other continue to use them.

I can easily buy the rumors, and it does not necessarily come from the very top and writing form I am sure there is a lot of talk and at different level by more local people.

The biggest dent was the FE designs. When nvidia decided to compete directly against them. While AMD limits the reference designs and give partners the ability to expand on that nvidia kinda defeats that purpose. Given how FE models have the most reviews most demand. I was surprised AIBs were able to hold nvidia off form releasing 4070 ti.

Intel seems to be gaining popularity now with their improvements in driver if Battle image can hit the mid market hard I think they are likely to make more per card even if they sell less.
And the FE designs are good, they are using quality components and seem to be assembled as well or better than the AIB models with none of the RGB bling or the OMG look at how many X’s I can fit into one sentence naming conventions.

I can call up my rep at Bestbuy Business solutions and order a dozen 4090FE cards and auditing wouldn’t bat an eye. Go to CDW or Newegg for an Asus 4090 OMG I jizzed my pants RGB blackout edition and I’ll have 4 people berating down my neck before I had a chance to even answer the email asking why I ordered them to begin with.

And honestly the 4070TI thing…. Jebus!
It’s a slot filler, it fills a popular enough sales bracket but is not a good value.
But in the pile of shit we’ve been fed this gen from AMD and Nvidia it’s at least a polished turd amongst the heap, in that it’s capable as long as you don’t intend to touch 4k with it ever.

Last edited:
There was story about brand being exclusive, like Asus cannot have a ROG Amd card and a ROG Nvidia card, but builder ?

Considering how low AIB margin are and their willingness I imagine to share risk, I do not see AMD or NVIDIA being that eager to loose all of them, specially if the other continue to use them.

I can easily buy the rumors, and it does not necessarily come from the very top and writing form I am sure there is a lot of talk and at different level by more local people.
IMO its very safe to assume that the parts suppliers in that part of the world. Don't need contracts to know... Nvidia has a long history of strong arming vendors to not deal with the competition, or at the very least treat them like second class customers. (give us the good stuff the delivery time... Nvidia doesn't wait for you to complete an order for someone else). If your making an Nvidia thing it better be your top of the line... and the competition offerings better not be on par. Nvidia is well known in those circles to be vindictive and just not call for the next contract or take their time delivering chips, if they feel slighted in anyway at all. So IMO its safe to assume even the value brand add in partners know Nvidia can be a little bitch if they feel you didn't show respect. lol

I guess I'm saying everything here can be true and untrue. Nvidia may not have actually said to anyone Don't or else. It would still be very reasonable for those vendors to say to Intel... LOOK we don't really want to be the first company to deal with you. Nvidia is vindictive and if you tap out 3 months after we throw in... its going to be held against us.

I read the article. It’s reported that reportedly Nvidia told its AIB partners, and then goes on to talk about Nvidia’s sordid past with GPP and provides zero references or or facts about their original headline.

Consider Intel and Nvidia are looking at a partnership deal to produce Nvidia’s AI chips. Then factor in that Intel signed up for streamline, and the that Intel has less than a 2% marketshare with dGPU’s, I seriously doubt Nvidia would go and pull this kind of stunt, especially when they have something to lose by doing so.

AMD on the other hand… this could be them trying to find excuses for why the 7000-series cards aren’t doing so well compared to Nvidia’s. That or this is AMD’s PR response, trying to get in people’s ear and start another rumor, with zero fact to cover their blunder over the whole DLSS shenanigans. It’s simple to do since Nvidia does have a checkered past.

Lol, so now AMD is starting rumors? Do you people have nothing better to do then spout off absolute bs?

And? Not sure what that's supposed to mean/how it applies to the rumor.

That would be the point, they are threating the AIB's to not produce any next gen Intel graphic cards, you seem to assume this means only retail cards in China. Asus and others AIB's all produce cards in China and then sell them all over the world.

only retail cards in China

That is what the rumor says, yes. It's not how you think with 'because manufactured in China = rest of world'. Those leaps and conclusions aren't part of the rumor.

I speculated elsewhere, I imagine if this is true - it's due to the constant and reoccurring GPU chip bans US imposed/imposes on China, and Nvidia doing Nvidia things to secure as much of whatever little is left of the pie as there will be in that market (China) while it can/still can.

Last edited:

If Nvidia is doing something I assume they would only target Intel GPUs and not motherboards. Given Nvidia's past I wouldn't put it past them to do something like this, but without solid proof I am still skeptical.

Intel does have AS Rock, who also does AMD. Acer is also doing Intel GPUs. I do wonder if Intel gets big how well those two can scale up manufacturing operations to account for increased demand.

If battlemage is actually good I'd consider it, xess compares much more favorably to DLSS than FSR. I kind of doubt Nvidia cares whatsoever though.

If battlemage is actually good I'd consider it, xess compares much more favorably to DLSS than FSR. I kind of doubt Nvidia cares whatsoever though.
At worst I could see Nvidia telling AIB’s no selling it under ROG or something like that.

I think at worst Jensen noticed a flea on his ass and ignored it.
I’m sure there would be no flee, that ass is polished clean by the army of brown nosers and gilded tongues that follow his every step.
Besides the tannin from the jackets would keep them at bay.

Or maybe Nvidia has projected metrics or something showing Intel GPUs would do well in China due to feature set/lower cost?

That is what the rumor says, yes. It's not how you think with 'because manufactured in China = rest of world'. Those leaps and conclusions aren't part of the rumor.

I speculated elsewhere, I imagine if this is true - it's due to the constant and reoccurring GPU chip bans US imposed/imposes on China, and Nvidia doing Nvidia things to secure as much of whatever little is left of the pie as there will be in that market (China) while it can/still can.
Well Intel is also an American company... would they both not be in the same boat in that regard?
Listen this is a rumor and I don't take it that serious.
Still ya Nvidia makes it clear to their Chinese part suppliers that Nvidia always comes first... and they have tried very recently to strong arm their board partners to only produce Nvidia gaming products. They didn't say don't produce the other stuff just don't produce it as gaming product.
That is who Nvidia is... so this is probably true in the sense that board partners probably know building Intel parts will annoy Nvidia. Which might make it not worth doing. Essentially the same thing. Act like an ass long enough and people expect you will act like one in the future.... its like a Mob boss they don't have to threaten anyone by saying directly do that and I end you. You don't have to threaten anyone if it is just assumed you will be yourself.

Well Intel is also an American company... would the both not be in the same boat in that regard?
US and US law would have no say in this specific matter from what I understand of the rumor, unless they were selling GPUs banned for sale in China by the US I think

If you think Nvidia is the type of company to pay a country off to get away with this in that country, China would be a match made in heaven for that - so I have no clue what Chinese law is on the matter nor how much the Chinese law would actually matter at that

US and US law would have no say in this specific matter from what I understand of the rumor, unless they were selling GPUs banned for sale in China by the US I think

If you think Nvidia is the type of company to pay a country off to get away with this in that country, China would be a match made in heaven for that - so I have no clue what Chinese law is on the matter nor how much the Chinese law would actually matter at that
I never suggested Nvidia pays off a country. I'm just saying Intel and Nvidia have the same issues selling into China as they are both US companies yes.
I am also not saying Nvidia pays off China for anything. I'm saying they are a vindictive company that will punish companies that don't treat them like their number one customer. This is just known. They put in writing with GPP what Nvidia had already been doing for a long time. Treat Nvidia with respect, treat Nvidia like we are your #1 partner... or we will first sell to companies that do.

I'm not disagreeing with you here though... this is a rumor with no basis in anything. The article actually says "a little birdie whispered'. I don't put much stock in things with no proof. When people say they can believe this is true though its because this is actually what Nvidia was doing with AMD just 2 years ago... its not crazy to think they are trying again with Intel 2 years on.

This thread will get locked before it hits 3 pages.

Everyone's rooting for Intel, kinda. Even if they're not potential customers. What was the last gen of "normal" GPUs? Pasqual/Polaris?

We all want to go back to "I have X dollars, I will by the new GPU that lists for X dollars," without wondering how screwed we got.

With NVIDIA focusing on AI, sure they wont notice if their gaming market drops a bit....

Gaming is all they have more and more in China, as more US GPU chip restrictions (focused on AI chips) get imposed towards China

For any country the US isn't in a cold war-chips war-arms race with, Nvidia can afford to not care how gaming is doing there as long as they sell AI chips

Gaming is all they have more and more in China, as more US GPU chip restrictions (focused on AI chips) get imposed towards China
You know that Nvidia is actively working with the Chinese government and a number of large corporations there for custom silicon and accelerators and is actively working with them to develop a CUDA accelerated library to rival the GPT 3.5 and 4 models that meet Chinese law while abiding by US sanctions.
Nvidia is getting major bank in China with AI.

You know that Nvidia is actively working with the Chinese government and a number of large corporations there for custom silicon and accelerators and is actively working with them to develop a CUDA accelerated library to rival the GPT 3.5 and 4 models that meet Chinese law while abiding by US sanctions.
Nvidia is getting major bank in China with AI.

While they can and as they should be - because get the money while/however still available. Look how there's more and more and further and further restrictions over the past few years in regards to chips and China alone. It' not over. So get it while the gettin's good.

US is doing this to maintain AI superiority over China. As long as whatever Nvidia and China make (or Nvidia just makes/modifies only for China) to skirt around whatever current bans isn't competitive (deemed by US based on what they have), they'll be allowed to continue. If it ends up being so, they'll ban that too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back