nVidia refresh rate override in Vista 64?

cold_steel

Gawd
Hey I just upped to Vista 64 and I was looking for a way to override the old 60hz lock for games that you can't specify refresh rate in... Used to use dxdiag in xp to do it but the option is gone under vista. What is the new way? I have an 8800GTS G.92. Long live CRTs! = )

go into your nvidia control panel and click on 'manage custom resolutions' your answer is there

I went in and tried setting 1024x768 at 32bit color 85hz and it still defaults to 60 Hz. am i missing something?

res was just an example. Would be the same for any res. Desktop is fine, its in games that are older and dont have a place to specify what refresh rate to use that the problem arises.

depending on the monitor, the refresh rate will not be the same for each resolution.

1440x900 worked at 75hz for me but at 1680x1050 it would only do 60hz

I'm aware of that. I think my problem was misunderstood. There is a well known problem with Windows XP and Vista with games defaulting back to 60Hz regardless of resolution when a game does not specifically request a refresh rate. In XP this was easily remedied with a setting in dxdiag or by a setting in ATi drivers, but I use nVidia and in vista the dxdiag option was removed. I found a program that helps in Vista searching on google called Refreshlock 2.21.

Also I think this problem has been swept under the rug by the mass adaptation of LCD monitors, where 60Hz is just fine. I love my 22" NEC Diamondtron (Trinitron) CRT so thats still what I am using. Do not let someone tell you you cant see a difference between 60Hz and 85Hz on a CRT because yes, you most certainly can. The difference can be having a headache or not for some people.

Have you tried the old standby, Powerstrip?

I'm not sure how well it works under Vista, but back when gaming and refresh rates were all a big mess, Powerstrip was my only reliable savior.

Back