2[H]4U
Hello!

Will a GTX 960 suffice for

1440p gaming if those games include:
  • SCII
  • MMOs (Tera Online, WoW, and similar)
  • Dota 2

and Photoshop and Illustrator?

I plan to pair it with either a z97 or z170 build - i7 + 16gb RAM.

Otherwise, a GTX 970 should suffice?

Last edited:
I have a 780 and I am looking at a 980 ti as an upgrade. I think the 960 is actually a downgrade other then having extra ram.

This isn't for me. Fresh build for a friend :)
I plan to get a 980 TI once price goes down~

The 960 is borderline for anything at 1440p.

Yes, for those specific games it might be tolerable. The low bus width and RAM may make you regret it in the near future.

ANY 970 card, cheap, used, stock clocks, whatever is the perfect choice for what you listed and will let your friend play any current game at 1440 at decent quality settings.

I just bumped from a 970 to a used 980 card for newer games at 1440 (Star Citizen, Witcher 3, etc.). Yes, there's a difference. But you listed games that don't have the highest needs. I don't think you need to look beyond the 970.

Plus if you are seriously going to get an i7 either way, just get the Skylake. If your friend has no desire to overclock ever, there are much more affordable motherboards than the Z170 now that would take up the price difference in the video cards.

Otherwise, z97 and i5 will save hundreds and still be really solid, leaving a lot more money for a video card.

Back