Nvidia planning to throttle supply of RTX 4090 to increase RTX 4080 sales

Blade-Runner

Supreme [H]ardness

Would be consistent with Nvidia's modus operandi. In my region 4080's are in abundance everywhere and so overpriced that I suspect most people willing to spend that much on a GPU will be prepared to pay a bit extra to get the highest tier performance.

Would be consistent with Nvidia's modus operandi. In my region 4080's are in abundance everywhere and so overpriced that I suspect most people willing to spend that much on a GPU will be prepared to pay a bit extra to get the highest tier performance.

Random youtube poster doesn't pass the smell test at all. Shrug. Guess we'll see ;).

That seem really strange and how would it be consistent with Nvidia modus operandi ?

so overpriced that I suspect most people willing to spend that much on a GPU will be prepared to pay a bit extra to get the highest tier performance.
Why not sales them a 4090 to those people if they want them instead ? Is the profit that much higher on a 4080 ?

To maintain over MSRP price on the 4090 and not hurt the quite similar pro line that sales at $6000-$7000 would make more sense to me than trying to sale a 4080 to someone ready to spend $500 more on a 4090.

There is an Asus Tuf 4090 OC extreme edition available sold & shipped by newegg at $1,799, no name brand are getting available at 1700 and pop up at $1600, not sure it require any plan to start to lower production versus the initial boom.

Last edited:
Given the drastic increase in demand for Nvidia’s server class silicon of which the 4090 is a cut down version of it would make more sense to me that Nvidia is channeling everything they can to those sales while they last before this AI fad dies down.

Because unlike those evil miners paying for gamer class hardware in the hopes of making it big, large corporations are opening up their reserve capital funds in a battle to get ahead of their rivals in the AI assistant chatbot search engine deepfake generated news article war that ChatGPT brought out of nowhere.

Given the drastic increase in demand for Nvidia’s server class silicon of which the 4090 is a cut down version of it would make more sense to me that Nvidia is channeling everything they can to those sales while they last before this AI fad dies down.

Because unlike those evil miners paying for gamer class hardware in the hopes of making it big, large corporations are opening up their reserve capital funds in a battle to get ahead of their rivals in the AI assistant chatbot search engine deepfake generated news article war that ChatGPT brought out of nowhere.
This feels about right. Nvidia had a huge market with miners buying up the bulk of supply. Once that dried up, Nvidia tried to save their profit margins by jacking up the prices gen over gen. Now that this new AI craze is starting to take hold and Nvidia just happens to have amazing hardware to accelerate it via Tensor cores, naturally Nvidia wants make their most powerful products available to these customers that will potentially buy millions of dollars worth of product. Nvidia stands to make way more money supporting AI tech than they do selling to gamers.

This feels about right. Nvidia had a huge market with miners buying up the bulk of supply. Once that dried up, Nvidia tried to save their profit margins by jacking up the prices gen over gen. Now that this new AI craze is starting to take hold and Nvidia just happens to have amazing hardware to accelerate it via Tensor cores, naturally Nvidia wants make their most powerful products available to these customers that will potentially buy millions of dollars worth of product. Nvidia stands to make way more money supporting AI tech than they do selling to gamers.
there really needs to be an "I agree with what you are saying and it makes me sad" button instead of just a like.
But yeah the 4090 will be scarce and the rumored 4090TI will disappear for the time being as that looked like an OAM product converted for PCIe, I can't even fault Nvidia for prioritizing those to Enterprise right now because the RTX 6000 ADA which is the full silicon variant of the 4090 is not only a cheaper PCB to manufacture but looking at my suppliers is currently going for just shy of $12,000 CAD, which I mean... that is one hell of a markup given the 4090 goes for around $2200 CAD.

All the idiots who bought the 4090's have gotten them. If people who want the best but can't find the best, they won't settle for the 4080. Nvidia would be better off releasing the 4090 Ti instead, which would push some 3090 owners to upgrade. Like I said before in other threads, in that anything bellow the best GPU isn't going to be bought for an insane price. You have two kinds of GPU buyers, and that's the best or the budget minded buyers. Unless you do work that needs a powerful GPU and can't afford a 4090, then you might settle for a 4080. Most gamers are unlikely to buy a 4080 if they already have a 2080 or 3070. Especially with all the inflation and people getting into debt, the overpriced 4080 just won't sell well.

All the idiots who bought the 4090's have gotten them. If people who want the best but can't find the best, they won't settle for the 4080. Nvidia would be better off releasing the 4090 Ti instead, which would push some 3090 owners to upgrade. Like I said before in other threads, in that anything bellow the best GPU isn't going to be bought for an insane price. You have two kinds of GPU buyers, and that's the best or the budget minded buyers. Unless you do work that needs a powerful GPU and can't afford a 4090, then you might settle for a 4080. Most gamers are unlikely to buy a 4080 if they already have a 2080 or 3070. Especially with all the inflation and people getting into debt, the overpriced 4080 just won't sell well.
The 4090 only really sells to 3-5% of PC gamers, and by this stage they pretty much have them Nvidia can trickle them out. The rest of the lineup from both teams is too expensive and they are capitalizing on it, because what are the alternatives? The reality is though for the vast majority of PC gamers (>60%) where 1080p is still the norm GPU’s have never been cheaper for the performance they are getting. You can get 60+ fps max or near max settings from just about anything launched in the past 4 years.

For more than half of the people out there who use their PC for gaming a GTX1660 Super is all they currently need. And unless you want ray tracing or to move to 1440p or higher it’s not struggling much with anything out there as long as you are using a CPU with 4 cores released in the past 6 years.

Last edited:
Especially with all the inflation and people getting into debt, the overpriced 4080 just won't sell well.
That article does not seem particularly clear to me, I mean every holiday season should be a new record (if population growth + inflation), why would it not be outside something very special like a pandemic.

All those numbers seem to be below pre-pandemy metrics adjusted for inflation with lower % of people missing payment than usual.
Both rates are below their pre-pandemic levels.

Has for rate going back at some point to the normal instead of the extremely low figure of 2020-2021, I would imagine that sure they will...why would they not.

Makes sense, probably has to do with binning. 4090 is so much more costly to make with many rejects due to the increased die size, that they have a lower margin on it than the overpriced comparatively tiny 4080 die.
But the strategy won't work, anyone who wants a 4090 won't settle for a 4080, they'll wait until it is available.
By now a GPU costs more than an used car, you won't buy a different model, you'll buy the one you want, even if you have to wait for it.

This will be an interesting strategy considering 7900xtx is already dropping in price in the market with rumors of an official price drop some early Spring. I don't have all the sales data, but I suspect a further reduction of 4090 supply won't bolster 4080 sales one bit. No one looking at a 4090 would consider taking the giant step down to a 4080, and a ~$900 7900xtx will make a $1200 4080 even less appealing to those in the market for a card in that segment.

Just as a lark i looked up the RTX 6000 prices on the Nvidia site. it was at $6800 for the RTX 6000 ADA and $4800 for the Nvidia RTX A6000. (Not sure they are the same) Still way too expensive but would love to have 48GB of GPU memory someday though. :coffee:

Just as a lark i looked up the RTX 6000 prices on the Nvidia site. it was at $6800 for the RTX 6000 ADA and $4800 for the Nvidia RTX A6000. (Not sure they are the same) Still way too expensive but would love to have 48GB of GPU memory someday though. :coffee:

The A6000 is Ampere, the 6000 ADA is Lovelace, confusing I know, but they aren’t consumer products and mostly OEM sales, and Nvidia validates those pairings so it’s not really an issue.

Back