NVIDIA nForce4 AMD/Intel X16 Drivers

OBWANDO

Weaksauce
I wanted to see if anyone else has tried the drivers and what the results were...

I use the Tyan K8WE with a pair of 248s, and pair of 6800GT OCs. Seems to have a pretty good impact to my system.

I didnt do a huge bench or anything but what I did notice is that in multiplayer in Quake 4, I went from 60fps to dipping into the 30s at times to a solid 50-60 and sometimes i would see a 70 (which didnt make sense in q4 since its supposed to be locked at 60 and my vsync is on @ 60 (lcd) explicitly).

I use 800x600, medium, and all turned off. When I ran with all on (no AA) medium it was 30-60 , all of it was 40-60 (old drivers).

Now, im solid 50-60 all turned on or off, and feedback is much more responsive, since im more of a railer anyways.

Anyone else tried it? comments?

--Royal

these drivers confuse me,

they label it x16 drivers

does that mean its only for the new upcoming motherboards running at 16x pci-e bandwidth or can I use it on my current lanparty sli-d as well? which runs at 8x??

some1 please clarify this for me, thanks in advance

Same question here, are they for standard nforce4 boards as well? They are newer then the others, thats the only reason I wonder.

They work fine on my rig. No problems or performance loss actually. No performance gain either.

It seems they are for a newer chipset that I havent seen yet, but should be coming out called the 'nFforce 4 SLIx16 chipset'. Seems that chipset doesnt need to split its lanes into a pair of 8 lane runs into 2 PCIe slots. So I guess that means that the chipset has 40 or 32 lanes in a chip versus today's 20 lanes.

However, from what i've seen, it looks like 2 chips, much like what i use on my tyan (nForce 2200 pro & 2050 pro) with the exception of a bridge that allows SPP (handles 20 lanes) and MCP (handles other 20 or 16 lanes) to talk direct to each other instead of 2 seperate procs. So I'm thinking its made more to enable that bridge. However, perhaps (which is what I'm thinking and hoping) its also optimized to take advantage of both chips running at full 16 lanes in SLI mode. So those without a dual nForce 4 chip solution may not see any changes at all.

yep thats exactly what it is. i'm pretty sure the asus is the only board retailing right now, and tests (at anandtech i think) dont show much improvement over single chip 8x/8x sli boards. at least so far.

Back