nVidia Kepler launch, GT 640M in the wild!

That is one sexy ultrabook. Too bad they had to cut it down to a dual core instead of a quad. But that's probably expecting too much from an ultrabook.

It is great performance wise, sucks temp wise for a laptop tho, like the article said, noone should even consider using the gpu unless the laptop is on a desk or any surface other than your own body.

I just read the review of that notebook on Anandtech.com. I must say I was disappointed with Anandtech on the review. They compare it to the Sony Notebook which has the 6650M run via the Thunderbolt connection (it's choked basically.) Anandtech said their benchmarks "were approved by NVidia and used to demonstrate to other reviewers" at their press briefing.

Anandtech's review is completely misleading even if they do mention the fact I stated. (They placed the detail sandwiched between 6 graphs. Very easy to skip had it not been for me looking back to catch that remark.) Those graphs need asterisk next to that Sony machine with a foot note, not a short hidden statement between graphs. They list them all the same without any indication of the AMD GPU.

Anandtech's review is only useable (to compare GPUs) because they at least compare it to other NVidia notebook offerings but that is about it. It's shady but they can defend it by saying "the review is just about notebooks." Clever...

it beats out my m14x.... hmm, but I'm calling bull shit because my lappy gets better frames at 16x9 than their test bench at 13x7. I'm not convinced. And why don't they show a total score as well as the GPU score? I know they are looking at the card alone, but CPU's make a huge dif. I've got a faster sandy CPU with 2x the cores/threads, 3x the Vram, 2x the SysRAM. I'm sorry, but Ididnt put too much money into this laptop to make it better than stock, and I'm getting WAY better numbers than what they posted for the m14x.

But, while I'm calling BS, this is a good sign of things to come, that many cores with a real amount of VRAM, a respectable core speed, and a CPU that won't hold it back. Hell, even a 2GB version of that very chip put in SLI with a 2630 or something and 8gigs, we could have a really powerful gamer laptop, and thats just with their mid-range parts, cant wait to see top of the line laptop chips

Back