Nvidia has got us.

Well, the price per wafer is doubling yet again on 3nm compared to 4nm and 5nm. That is TSMC's doing, not NVIDIA's.

well if you read the article look at their revenue, It's increasing big time too so definitely they can charge less.

I'd imagine those who've had one brand of card (and it's worked fine for them) are more likely to purchase the same brand so to stick with Nvidia they've necessarily had to pay more to have a newer, similar class card, particularly if they skipped a gen or two. Games have also quickly become more demanding though ironically Nvidia isn't helping the lower end much with their VRAM situation.

Though from Nvidia's perspective they don't seem to care for the time being whether consumers are less pleased with the prices so long as it's a sale.

Well, the price per wafer is doubling yet again on 3nm compared to 4nm and 5nm. That is TSMC's doing, not NVIDIA's.
Nvidia does have "choice of node". They get more swagger points at the 5 star hotel than the discount motel though. Jensen would have to give up the jacket.

Only if AMD has really good products, otherwise it is tech monopoly. Not much we can do.
AMD has great products that they feel the need to price far too close to Nvidia (although clearly the best bang for buck in the mid to low range). If "really good" do you mean the top card or bust?

Lmao they literally saying like hey we got em. People pay 3-400 more rather than 100-200 lmao.
Where is AMDs $100-200 card? Ohh found it!! God that Radeon 7000 looks nice.
A0773F62-2D82-4BCF-B646-7EE6EB94B8AD.png

The cards such as the GeForce RTX 4070 and RTX 4070 Ti which start at $699 US have seen 40 percent faster revenue ramp compared to their Ampere predecessors.

Considering the 4070 was on sale here within a few days of launch and I can buy as many as I want, whereas I couldn’t find a 3070 to save my life anywhere close to MSRP, this is really surprising.

NVIDIA's outlook for the second quarter of fiscal 2024 is as follows:
  • Revenue is expected to be $11.00 billion, plus or minus 2%.
  • GAAP and non-GAAP gross margins are expected to be 68.6% and 70.0%, respectively, plus or minus 50 basis points.

Nah, it’s mostly Nvidia’s.

Where is AMDs $100-200 card? Ohh found it!! God that Radeon 7000 looks nice.View attachment 575761
Wasn’t my point though. Please read the exact quotes from nvidia. They are talking upgrade from last gen. Plus these are old items now, you always pay more if you want those for whatever project. Not sure that point. This thread isn’t hate on nvidia. It’s just reality of situation.

NVIDIA's outlook for the second quarter of fiscal 2024 is as follows:
  • Revenue is expected to be $11.00 billion, plus or minus 2%.
  • GAAP and non-GAAP gross margins are expected to be 68.6% and 70.0%, respectively, plus or minus 50 basis points.

Nah, it’s mostly Nvidia’s.
Yea the article has all the slides and quotes. They are getting way more in compared to last gen and he talks about people are willing to pay for more for high end and mid range.

Yeah I'mma just keep buying Nvidia, still the better product with the best/most feature sets that lets me check the most tickboxes to 'on' in game settings and then runs with better efficiency

You do what's best for you and your situation

IMG_0128.gif

My son has a 6600xt I paid like 249 for. And it's a great fast little 1080p card. Probably faster than 4060ti. Anyways he's been playing on my 5800x / 6900xt machine because it's much smoother.

Yeah son your on a 12 year old Sandy Bridge cpu still because your daddy is a cheap bastard. So his GPU is literally starved.

Ill.upgrade him fully to.my 6900xt and 5800x once prices drop a little and I'll get a 7900x3d and a 5090 or 8000 series radeon. I can wait.

My laptop has a 3070ti and Ryzen 6800 in it and it can play diablo in ultra with dlss at 2k res at 120 solid without a frame drop.

AMD has great products that they feel the need to price far too close to Nvidia (although clearly the best bang for buck in the mid to low range). If "really good" do you mean the top card or bust?
From pure tech point of view, nvidia does have much better product than amd. The frame rate numbers from mid/low tiers may be close. But the whole system, including software, nvidia is more mature and versatile.
Amd did not pull out of a 4090 rival. This not only makes them look weak, also makes their management questionable of decision, execution, and delivery.

Last edited:
Considering the 4070 was on sale here within a few days of launch and I can buy as many as I want, whereas I couldn’t find a 3070 to save my life anywhere close to MSRP, this is really surprising.
That is huge part of it. Almost like people have been programmed to pay little higher. Hey it’s still better deal then mining days. I am pretty sure nvidia has data science to rely on and that’s why they sold lesser chips at higher prices this time and priced the 4090 so it’s the best for your money lol.

For a mainstream user, the upgrade cycle is much larger and it averages around 3.0 - 3.5 years. So the vast majority of gamers upgrading to an RTX 4060 are going to be coming from either a GTX 1060 or RTX 2060 GPU and they are going to see a big upgrade in performance and feature set.

What a nice BS spin on the terrible 3060->4060 "upgrade".

Only if AMD has really good products, otherwise it is tech monopoly. Not much we can do.
This is the crux of why I primarily buy NVIDIA cards over AMD. AMD is rarely competitive on the top end. Even when they are priced a bit better, I often have to sacrifice a significant amount of performance at the top end to go AMD. Even worse, I'd have to sacrifice features in a lot of cases. When I bought my RTX 3090 FE, I could have bought a 6900XT. However, the latter wasn't really any faster than my RTX 2080 Ti at ray tracing and AMD had no answer for DLSS at the time. Add to that the performance difference in most games and going NVIDIA was a no brainer for me. The way I saw it, the 6900XT wasn't really all that competitive.

I've bought AMD when it's had the faster hardware which hasn't been all that often. The unfortunate reality is that on the ultra-high end, AMD rarely achieves parity with NVIDIA.

Are they are talking how much more gamers are paying for a GPU versus their previous GPU ?

I could believe that 40% more, at least for the part that goes to Nvidia.

Some numbers are nice to have frankly, like:
Of the entire GeForce userbase, only 44% of users are running an RTX GPU and 18% of users have a GPU that is more performant than an RTX 3060 GPU

This give an idea if steam hardware survey are way off base or close, on steam we have about 38.6 for RTX and 33.2 for GTX, 14% others, if most of teh others are pre-RTX affairs it could be close, same for the 18% higher than a 3060 seem possible to match.

If I am reading correctly the 3070 would not have been part of the $699+ and up sales, it is comparing 4070 and up to 3080 and up sales I think.
The cards such as the GeForce RTX 4070 and RTX 4070 Ti which start at $699 US have seen 40 percent faster revenue ramp compared to their Ampere predecessors.

The sale guy is looking at the price tag not the sku name it seem, the 3080 had really high demand but it was maybe quite low volume available, the 4070-4070ti-4080-4090 selling significantly more (in nvidia revenues, not units) than the 3080-3090 is possible.

Amazing!! Precious generation cards going for less than newer ones? Who would have thought?!?! My god thanks for showing me the error of my ways!!!

I mean by that logic Nvidia also has cards between $100-200…

Wasn’t my point though. Please read the exact quotes from nvidia. They are talking upgrade from last gen. Plus these are old items now, you always pay more if you want those for whatever project. Not sure that point. This thread isn’t hate on nvidia. It’s just reality of situation.
This is true. My bad for being a smart ass, especially when I took some text out of context.

As for the price increase, it really is a non-issue for me, maybe because I dropped all my other expensive hobbies to focus on only one. So, I am one of those ”guys.”

Now, with some of the OLEDs having VRR support and my AW38” leaving this world way before it was expected to, but that is another story. I can at least say that I am no longer surrounded by GSYNC monitors, which can influence my next purchase.

If it is not a good value, don't buy it. If they have a gen rotting on the shelves, adjustments will be made.

Amazing!! Precious generation cards going for less than newer ones? Who would have thought?!?! My god thanks for showing me the error of my ways!!!

I mean by that logic Nvidia also has cards between $100-200…

This is true. My bad for being a smart ass, especially when I took some text out of context.

As for the price increase, it really is a non-issue for me, maybe because I dropped all my other expensive hobbies to focus on only one. So, I am one of those ”guys.”

Now, with some of the OLEDs having VRR support and my AW38” leaving this world way before it was expected to, but that is another story. I can at least say that I am no longer surrounded by GSYNC monitors, which can influence my next purchase.
Yeah I tried to go with GSync compatible so that way I can switch either way, but if I had to choose between cards in the $1500CAD range right now for what I am playing I would likely choose the 7900xtx over a 4080 and then use the saved cash for more Warhammer models, god damned 10'th edition... But feature wise the 4080 wins out, but there isn't anything really announced at this stage that is super compelling for me that either of those cards couldn't crush and look great and 2+ years from now either may need a revisit based on how the games are going. Who knows.

I've always referred to 2k as a 1440p
I may be "buying the discussion as serious" (when it's not), for the record 1920 x 1080 x 2 = 2560 x 1440 (that is, 2K)

My apologies if was tricked into explaining this...

For a mainstream user, the upgrade cycle is much larger and it averages around 3.0 - 3.5 years. So the vast majority of gamers upgrading to an RTX 4060 are going to be coming from either a GTX 1060 or RTX 2060 GPU and they are going to see a big upgrade in performance and feature set.

What a nice BS spin on the terrible 3060->4060 "upgrade".
So if I understood this correctly, Nvidia is offering an 8gb GPU to gamers who upgrade only once in 4 years. So what can go wrong here 🤔

From pure tech point of view, nvidia does have much better product than amd. The frame rate numbers from mid/low tiers may be close. But the whole system, including software, nvidia is more mature and versatile.
Amd did not pull out of a 4090 rival. This not only makes them look weak, also makes their management questionable of decision, execution, and delivery.
Better is a price/performance ratio. The hate right now aka 4060ti, is Nvidia shiting on that ratio compared to the last gen (or any gen)
I play VR and yes Nvidia for the most part is my only answer, but sadly until they can't seem in 2023 to get a 16GB card under $1000! They are loosing my $$. So I don't care if Nvidia are more mature and versatile as you say, the price/performance is not mature or versatile.

Last edited:
Looks like the standard that apply to resolutions are different when it applies to science, cinema, and computer monitors. Since I was never really a big cinemaphile I always looked at 2k being 2560x1440.

Back