nVidia GTX 480 upgrade dilemma.

MachoSasquatcho

Limp Gawd
Hey,

I'm currently using a EVGA GTX 480 and it's been serving me quite nicely ever since I purchased it. I currently only play games like WoW, SWTOR, Diablo 3 and LoL. I currently only game on 1 1080p monitor. My question is that I'm currently eligible for a step-up to a 670. I'm wondering if it's worth me jumping on this now for another $200 or would I be better served waiting for the 700 series of cards and just riding out the 480 until it ceases to be effective?

Thanks!

If you can step up, do it. You won't be eligible to step up any more when the "700" series finally drops (late this year maybe, more likely next year).

Personally, unless I have a problem with heat or noise with the 480, I'd hold what I had. The 448 is about equal to the 480, generally the 448 is a slightly worse performer. I am currently using a 670, and I can see the difference, but only when playing something like BF3.

You are always going to either get more performance for your dollar or spend fewer dollars for the same performance if you wait. If the games you listed are all you play, the 480 is going to be fine. I'd personally wait until I had a game that forced me to upgrade before I upgraded. The 670 is a noticeably better performer, but I don't think you'd notice it with the games you play. I'd stash away the $200, combine it with another $200 in a year or so, and get a GTX 7xx or Radeon 8xxx.

Maybe I'm just too poor to be [H] like some of you guys, but I think this would be a bad upgrade considering what he plays.

judging from the rest of your system and the games you play, if you did the upgrade you'd be fine for a long time, not only that you'd be able to try out some of the newer FPS if you wanted to as well. I would do it personally.

$200 is a great deal. This is essentially selling your used 480 for top dollar, and putting the difference into a new 670. This card should let you be set for a very long time too.

Thanks for the help guys. After some deliberation I went ahead and pulled the trigger and decided to grab the 670.

Grats, now your sig looks like you'll be set for a while. Let us know how the 670 works out.

Grats, now your sig looks like you'll be set for a while. Let us know how the 670 works out.

I hope so, it seems like a beast of a card. The only thing that sucks is I'm going to be stuck using Intel HD 3000 graphics for the next few days :(

Back