Nvidia Game Don't Works Latest Victim. Batman Arkham Knight

all the gameworks stuff can be turned off, btw the console versions are probably using settings that are much less then the pc, gotta keep in mind the consoles have a much weaker GPU then what PC's can have.

If the game still works like poo with all the gameworks stuff turned off, then the port need more work.

Far Cry 4 and Witcher 3 run like ass with gameworks stuff enabled, so.... .there is your answer.

Make sure you buy one when AMD falls behind LOL :p

OH wait a second we all use discrete GPU's funny thing the difference between those and Intel integrated GPU's

It's apropos to your point: nvidia has to compete with Intel for GPU customers, and game developers are targeting Intel IGPs because it's the biggest segment out there. The idea that nvidia can just kick its feet up on the desk because they have 80% marketshare of dGPU shipments isn't going to fly.

It's apropos to your point: nvidia has to compete with Intel for GPU customers, and game developers are targeting Intel IGPs because it's the biggest segment out there. The idea that nvidia can just kick its feet up on the desk because they have 80% marketshare of dGPU shipments isn't going to fly.

I disagree. Nvidia is not competing with intel in the igpu field, that is AMD that is/was competing with them.
Nvidia is a competitor to AMD as far as GPU's are concerned. A 750ti is probably better than any igpu. A 750ti costs about $100 on sale. That is how Nvidia will compete with Intel.
Nvidia won't compete with Intel by making Titian's to replace igpu's.
Who would be affected by this, probably not a single person that is part of the statistic you listed. No it will affect the discrete GPU market.

What I am trying to convey to hard to understand? How are the APU's AMD is releasing matching up to the quadcore processors Intel is releasing?
You guys better buckle up we have 50% improvements coming to quad and hexacore processors. :rolleyes:

Well they were telling me how much over time they were doing before launch, for an artist to stay on till launch just shows how down to the wire it was. The reason why they were still there, is because the level designers usually make the level scripts, they don't need a programmer involved.

That's what I'm saying, the levels can go in almost last minute, the QA is the same between versions since there is little or no programming involved. So that does not affect versions between ports. I'm still looking for a reason why the PC version is SO bad compared the both the PS and Xbox port versions and I can find only one, gameworks.

all the gameworks stuff can be turned off, btw the console versions are probably using settings that are much less then the pc, gotta keep in mind the consoles have a much weaker GPU then what PC's can have.

If the game still works like poo with all the gameworks stuff turned off, then the port need more work.

That does not solve anything. Weather any "exclusive" features are turned on or not the codepath is going through the Gameworks libraries. The programmers, and everybody else, are literally at the mercy of nvidia.

What I don't understand is how this game can run so shitty if it is on unreal3. Even with the extra. Nvidia effects this game should no be able to bog down a 980ti.

That's what I'm saying, the levels can go in almost last minute, the QA is the same between versions since there is little or no programming involved. So that does not affect versions between ports. I'm still looking for a reason why the PC version is SO bad compared the both the PS and Xbox port versions and I can find only one, gameworks.

Oh programming QA from a closed system vs an open system? There are many things that can go wrong, the CPU's and GPU's are custom made, the code can be very different from a console version to a pc version. We have seen this with the Xbox all the way till now.

A very loose example, try making a website and programming it from Firefox vs IE ;). Hey HTML shouldn't be that much of a pain, then try a webpage with an SQL backbone the problems just go crazy on the front end, no hardware changes necessary either.

That does not solve anything. Weather any "exclusive" features are turned on or not the codepath is going through the Gameworks libraries. The programmers, and everybody else, are literally at the mercy of nvidia.
When game works features are off they don't use the libraries, if that was the case, then if running on AMD hardware they would be able to use those features, they can't, well some of them.

I think I know what you are saying, what I'm saying is shader path not code path, the code path should be the same regardless of the hardware and features, which is should be.

Last edited:
Stop complaining about the port. WB needed to put their resources to more important things... like deciding which parts of the game to cut out and sell back to us for $40.

Far Cry 4 and Witcher 3 run like ass with gameworks stuff enabled, so.... .there is your answer.
At least Witcher 3 runs brilliantly on both vendors, with the GameWorks features being completely optional. That's not the case here. The game runs like shit, period.

More wisdom.
https://twitter.com/scottwasson/status/613457816817250305

My thoughts are that Nvidia had to know the game ran like shit from the get go. You can blame the other development team all you want, but the number one premise of developer / GPU relationships is to make sure that the game works on the customer's hardware. If Nvidia is sponsoring a title and helping to develop the title then they should have an idea how it runs on their hardware. There is no excuse for any system that meets the minimum requirements to be suffering.

At what point do they stop requesting that new features be added and help the developer to get the game to run on their hardware? Isn't that the point in assisting developers with games? Or is it just to add in smoke effects and sparks so that someone gullible will buy their GPU?

Maybe I think differently. At any rate this game is to be avoided by Nvidia and AMD users.

I think not attaching their name to this game would have been better press for Nvidia. I guess they're going for the spray-and-pray approach to branding.
For example, Iams dog food doesn't sponsor Michael Vick... y'know what I'm saying.

Last edited:
The things that work well in this are the GameWorks effects. They do not cause much FPS drop at least in my case. Constant 30 FPS with low GPU usage. Potential is there but boy... Things break when you remove the FPS limit.

Why does everything have to be AMD vs Nvidia? The developer/publisher released a shitty PC game without any review copies prior to release. They should be the target of anyone's anger. All Nvidia wants to do with Gameworks is to show off their GPUs in certain titles with cool effects/features, it's not their job or responsibility to make a decent port.

Why does everything have to be AMD vs Nvidia? The developer/publisher released a shitty PC game without any review copies prior to release. They should be the target of anyone's anger. All Nvidia wants to do with Gameworks is to show off their GPUs in certain titles with cool effects/features, it's not their job or responsibility to make a decent port.

This ad brought to you by Nvidia. Please drink responsibly.

I think not attaching their name to this game would have been better press for Nvidia.

Probably. But without knowing the details of the contract it's hard to say what their options were. I doubt they could have stopped the release either. That's business -- you win some, you lose some.

Trainwreck ports from consoles aren't exactly rare in this industry. We should address the root of the problem... which is that the PC master race is basically the gaming industry's bitch.

This ad brought to you by Nvidia. Please drink responsibly.
Just like AMD was only responsible for Lara's hair in Tomb Raider, Nvidia is only responsible for the rain, fog, etc, in Arkham Knight. Maybe Nvidia deserves some blame for the rain effects not appearing on Batman's armor/car seeing as how they are related, but it's still totally separate from GameWorks.

As long as the GameWorks features function properly, Nvidia has done its job.

Last edited:
Yeah just to reiterate Rocksteady did not port this. The 12 guys working at Iron Galaxy Studios did. Don't worry though Rocksteady is on the case. "This is something that Rocksteady takes very seriously. We are working closely with our external PC development partner to make sure these issues get resolved as quickly as possible."

http://community.wbgames.com/t5/Support-for-PC/PC-Performance-issues-we-hear-you/m-p/571341

Can't get any better than this for entertainment, I really do hope they fix it though.

Edit: Bonus link for more fun Link you wont believe the experience under Iron Galaxy Studios belt LOL

Game director Sefton Hill https://twitter.com/Seftonhill/status/613432514091307008 Iron Galaxy confirmed

Last edited:
Yeah just to reiterate Rocksteady did not port this. The 12 guys working at Iron Galaxy Studios did. Don't worry though Rocksteady is on the case. "This is something that Rocksteady takes very seriously. We are working closely with our external PC development partner to make sure these issues get resolved as quickly as possible."

http://community.wbgames.com/t5/Support-for-PC/PC-Performance-issues-we-hear-you/m-p/571341

Can't get any better than this for entertainment, I really do hope they fix it though.

Edit: Bonus link for more fun Link you wont believe the experience under Iron Galaxy Studios belt LOL

Game director Sefton Hill https://twitter.com/Seftonhill/status/613432514091307008 Iron Galaxy confirmed

Good stuff!

It doesn't matter who they outsourced it to. The flak comes back to the developers who's name is on the title. For RockSteady to blame Iron Galaxy Studios is an admission that RockSteady and Nvidia didn't bother to even check to see if the code was working before they shipped the game. Which I find very hard to believe. But then again as bad as it runs this is actually believable.

It doesn't matter who they outsourced it to. The flak comes back to the developers who's name is on the title.

And the publisher, who typically manage more of the business and shipping end (and who don't give out early PC press copies).

Just shows how much they care about their game on PC. Rockstar realised that GTA 5 wasn't ready and they delayed it till it was. If Rocksteady gave a damn they would have done the same thing.

It doesn't matter who they outsourced it to. The flak comes back to the developers who's name is on the title. For RockSteady to blame Iron Galaxy Studios is an admission that RockSteady and Nvidia didn't bother to even check to see if the code was working before they shipped the game. Which I find very hard to believe. But then again as bad as it runs this is actually believable.

It makes no sense to blame nvidia for this failure. They only added the game works effects, nothing more. They have zero input to the development timeline. This falls squarely on the lead developer and publisher. Both of which aren't nvidia.

People blaming nvidia for this fiasco are making a serious leap of ineptitude.

It makes no sense to blame nvidia for this failure. They only added the game works effects, nothing more. They have zero input to the development timeline. This falls squarely on the lead developer and publisher. Both of which aren't nvidia.

didnt they get the driver right yet?:p

Don't ruin nvidia hate thread with such mundane things like facts ;)

That's what happens when you put your name on something. If the game rocked and the effects were compelling they'd accept the accolades, wouldn't they? Instead it's running like a steaming pile and they get their heads chopped off. That's life in the big city.

"Gameworks" has become the "Thanks Obama" of PC gaming - the one size fits all excuse among a fringe of Team Red dinks, often the same names you'll see insisting that Nvidia is "sabotaging" AMD performance in certain games.

When realworld Fury X benches release in about 7 hours and performance isn't where everyone hoped, the tears will be flowing once again with accusations of Nvidia sabotage "cuz Gamewerkz bro". But when it was AMD trying to push a proprietary vendor lockin scheme with Mantle - that was no problemo and got them excited.

Last edited:
"Gameworks" has become the "Thanks Obama" of PC gaming - the one size fits all excuse among a fringe of Team Red dinks, often the same names you'll see insisting that Nvidia is "sabotaging" AMD performance in certain games.

When realworld Fury X benches release in about 7 hours and performance isn't where everyone hoped, the tears will be flowing once again with accusations of Nvidia sabotage "cuz Gamewerkz bro". But when it was AMD trying to push a proprietary vendor lockin scheme with Mantle - that was no problemo and got them excited.

They have to blame NVIDIA somehow.

Just use it as a filter.
I know I do...a lot of posters that post about "gameWorks"I will not even care to read...because they have disqualified themselfes by argument from ignorance.

Just look at the OP and the title...argument from ignorance...and he was wrong.
(Not that I think he cares, the FUD is running, so he is properly happy).

Now you can then try and clean up the false claims...but that is like a never ending task...whack one "FUD-mole"..and 2 more pops up.

I actually see these false claims posts as a bigger problem than fanboys for forums.
I know on this forum there is a lot of false claims that keep getting repeating and often in a disruptive manner of a interesting technical debate.

Just use it as a filter.
I know I do...a lot of posters that post about "gameWorks"I will not even care to read...because they have disqualified themselfes by argument from ignorance.

Just look at the OP and the title...argument from ignorance...and he was wrong.
(Not that I think he cares, the FUD is running, so he is properly happy).

Now you can then try and clean up the false claims...but that is like a never ending task...whack one "FUD-mole"..and 2 more pops up.

I actually see these false claims posts as a bigger problem than fanboys for forums.
I know on this forum there is a lot of false claims that keep getting repeating and often in a disruptive manner of a interesting technical debate.

So why not give us your technical debate on this subject. Technical not opinion but fact. Not vague but indepth. We eagerly await what you have on this subject.

And the same Nvidia Fanboys, etc .are jumping in on the defence with the usual AMD drivers are crap, only themselves to blame and the Look at mantle(why people compare mantle and gameworks I will never know)

Blah blah, both sets of fanboys are as bad as the other.

The truth is probably somewhere in the middle, Gameworks titles seem to have more problems and pretty sure Nvidia have made it as difficult as possible for AMD to work with said titles and AMD don't have the resources to get a day one driver out and probably rush things a little and they probably need to put more pressure on developers to work with them earlier.

I'm not a fanboy. Just so happens that AMD sponsored games run just fine on Nvidia systems. If an AMD sponsored game ran like crap on Nvidia systems I would call it out too. I recommend lots of Nvidia hardware to my buddies.

GameWorks as evident in Batman, Kepler performance in Witcher 3, Ass Creed Unity, etc has been proven to be substandard for Nvidia cards and AMD cards. Or too hard for large publishers to implement and keep their original vision for a title. There is something that Nvidia is doing completely wrong to mess up this many games. And I will say this again as I have stated in other threads.

Why is it that the 2,000+ games that I own only the GameWorks titles run like shit. Are all other developers of games just geniuses compared to the developers that decide to use GameWorks? Or is Nvidia GameWorks coded by incompetent programmers?

Asking that has NOTHING to do with being a fanboy. That's asking hard questions that fanboys like to deflect and turn it around to "Oh he must be a fanboy like me! Duh!" Until I see more competent programming teams working on GameWorks titles my opinion will always be the same. Maybe Nvidia should sponsor more competent developers? Is that the issue?

I'm not a fanboy.

I disagree

Just so happens that AMD sponsored games run just fine on Nvidia systems.
Tomb Raider, Dirt, etc. AMD sponsors fewer games so it's not as obvious.

Arkham Knight is just a bad port. It may or may not be fixed. But the blame is on the company hired to do the port.

The fix for the game as per RockSteady is to disable GameWorks. Read the article if you think I am a "fanboy".
http://www.destructoid.com/rockstea...4.phtml?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

If you think the article's writer is a fanboy then read the WB forums.
https://community.wbgames.com/t5/Official-Announcements/Update-On-PC-Performance/m-p/572899#U572899

If you can't read the forums here is a picture of the forum post. Warning it is large so I stuck it behind this spoiler tag.
QDtfu5m.png

Arkham Knight is just a bad port. It may or may not be fixed. But the blame is on the company hired to do the port.

The blame goes to RockSteady, Nvidia, and the team they hired to handle the port. All 3 are equally culpable as all 3 signed off on it as ready to be shipped and showcase Nvidia's cards. If consumers aren't willing to hold the companies that design the software responsible for the messes they create, then every game will be another GameWorks abysmal creation like Assassin's Creed Unity.

Has there been one new GameWorks release this year that plays nice with current hardware? Even that ARK game runs like crap. I recommended that a buddy purchase that because of the 4GB GTX 670 I suggested that he purchase a couple years ago. Runs like dog poo on the lowest settings for him. He has an Intel 3770K. He returned it with the new Steam Refunds policy.

Like I stated in the other post. Either all of the GameWorks developers are lower tier scrubs or something is wrong with the tools that they are using.

The fix for the game as per RockSteady is to disable GameWorks. Read the article if you think I am a "fanboy".
http://www.destructoid.com/rockstea...4.phtml?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

That doesn't fix the game's performance, every report I've seen says it runs like with even with every GameWorks feature off. It's an Unreal Engine 3 game, the consoles have higher graphics settings, and a better framerate. It's capped at 30 FPS by default, There's no way a PC should be running a game at console settings at below 1080p60. From that forum post it sounds like they find 30 FPS expected and acceptable, which is bullshit. Some people are suggesting the DRM might be causing some of the performance drops.

Wow WB must be mad that this happened.

In reality though full teams that implemented gameworks have had a hard time getting the fps drop that comes with using gameworks to be minimal.
In the Batman game a team of 12 tried to put quite a bit of gameworks features into the game, how did everyone think that would turn out good?

Everyone want's to complain today, what WB should have done is not give them a reason to complain.

The blame goes to RockSteady, Nvidia, and the team they hired to handle the port. All 3 are equally culpable as all 3 signed off on it as ready to be shipped and showcase Nvidia's cards. If consumers aren't willing to hold the companies that design the software responsible for the messes they create, then every game will be another GameWorks abysmal creation like Assassin's Creed Unity.

This is delusional. Nvidia saying "get in contact if you have any questions about implementing these optional features in your game" does not make them a co-developer and co-project manager responsible for the overall quality of the game.

This is delusional. Nvidia saying "get in contact if you have any questions about implementing these optional features in your game" does not make them a co-developer and co-project manager responsible for the overall quality of the game.

Then Nvidia only works with scrub developers. The company you keep reflects upon you.

Then Nvidia only works with scrub developers. The company you keep reflects upon you.

Gameworks provides a set of tools to add things like physics and other enhancements to a game. It does not write or port games for a developer. You are ranting about something you clearly have zero knowledge of.

Gameworks provides a set of tools to add things like physics and other enhancements to a game. It does not write or port games for a developer. You are ranting about something you clearly have zero knowledge of.

We agree to never agree and that is fine. :)

Back