Nvidia DVI->HDMI 720p 4:3

forcemac101

[H]ard|Gawd
Ok, I have been deployed awhile now, and am coming home soon. I had some issues with this before I left and I wonder if anyone else has figured this out...

anywho, last time I tried was with an ATI card, and best it could do was 720p mode but it was a wide screen aspect(16x9)..leaveing me a destop with horz. letterbox...

Has Nvida invented a timing that allows for 720p mode that would be full screen on a 4:3 set. I think something like this goes against the entire 720p "standard", I am beginning to think that buying a 4:3 HDTV set was foolish....its sole purpose was to be for a HTPC setup in the hopes I could run a higher res than 480p (svideo) on it....but that is what I am stuck at....

I am currently using DVI to VGA on my Mitsu 62725 with an nvidia 6800 GT. I was able to get a full screen 720p through this interface but I think I used 16:9 aspect ratio (but i've slept since I set this up).

When I tried to go DVI to HDMI I got up 1080i resolutions but the quality was crap. Maybe with more time I could have played with my powerstrip settings but the VGA settings look very good.

The latest nVidia drivers have lots of HDTV settings and tools (compared to drivers past).

Goaty said:
I am currently using DVI to VGA on my Mitsu 62725 with an nvidia 6800 GT. I was able to get a full screen 720p through this interface but I think I used 16:9 aspect ratio (but i've slept since I set this up).

When I tried to go DVI to HDMI I got up 1080i resolutions but the quality was crap. Maybe with more time I could have played with my powerstrip settings but the VGA settings look very good.

The latest nVidia drivers have lots of HDTV settings and tools (compared to drivers past).

yeah, it works fine on my widescreen TV, but I really want it working on the 4:3 TV without the damn letterbox, I'll have to give it a try when I get home, I have been in the desert for about 3 months so I haven't had a chance to reattack it...it frustrated the hell out of me before I left, cuz I can't a full screen image at 720p or 1080i, mostly becuase these are 16x9 resolutions by default...

The best you will probably be able to do is something similiar to a 1024x768 resolution assuming your tv can handle the input, otherwise try something simple like 540p. You may be out of luck with a 4:3 tv though.

haha....try a camel.....seriously, there isn't a fucking animal anywhere...I think I saw a bird last month...thats about it..

forcemac101 said:
I am beginning to think that buying a 4:3 HDTV set was foolish....

True, but it's not your fault entirely. HDTV makers should "never" have released non-standard products, or more importantly, not labeled it HDTV as that indicates the ability to perform a letterbox 1080i resolution.

A 4:3 set should never be called anything other than an EDTV (Enhanced DTV, similar to the "Enhanced 16:9" that is available on some 4:3 TV's for letterbox movies).

But others that haven't purchased yet will learn from this thread, so it's not entirely in vain (although it wasn't this purpose that you purchased it for).

If you haven't had it long, see if you can't trade it towards a proper 16:9 aspect ratio HDTV.

Can't you use powerstrip to set up a custom resolution. If your tv supports 720p try 940x720. I think that's a 4:3 ratio

There's got to be some equivalent to "pan & scan" mode for viewing 16:9 content on a 4:3 display, even if it only exists in your player software.

720p is 1280x720 pixels by definition, therefore any true 720p content will be widescreen. If you could manage to zoom in and crop 160 pixels from either side you'd fill your screen, you'd only lose a little bit of information (assuming the TV doesn't overscan too badly). This seems a rather hefty price to pay for getting rid of the black bars above and below, however.

From what I remember in my fruitless efforts before, is I tried to get some sort of "cropped" 720P image, and what I got was a 4:3 aspect ratio desktop but with letter box (black borders) not just on the top, but on the sides too, so I was so frustrated I got the right aspect finally but I couldn't get it to fill the screen, it was like 60% of screen is all, perfectly centered an all....the only way I could get it to work semi-correctly was use the "zoom" feature on the TV set to blow it up to full screen....it was a pretty ghetto way of getting it to work...

I do have a 16x9 HDTV downstairs, for the home theater, but the computer was to be setup on the 4:3 HDTV upstairs for PVR, and casual moive watching from cache of my encoded Divx movies...(in case I didn't feel like going down and turning on the home theater)

I think I am going to scrap the project for the HTPC..dunno yet...I just bought a projector before I came out the desert and have it with me, it works great, and I know the HTPC would work fine with it....I just don't really have a place for it at home....other than downstairs with the home theater....

You should just find a good 4:3 resolution and then run all your DVD through FFDShow and resize to that. I don't think you will find a good medium with a 16:9 ratio.

You might ask for advice at avsforum.com, they have a lot of experience with this type of thing.

k1114 said:
You should just find a good 4:3 resolution and then run all your DVD through FFDShow and resize to that. I don't think you will find a good medium with a 16:9 ratio.

You might ask for advice at avsforum.com, they have a lot of experience with this type of thing.

yeah, I have been over there quite a bit but noone seems to be trying what I am trying, I haven't gotten any good answers out of folks there....thanks for trying

They don't make 4:3 HDTVs, what you have is an EDTV which carries support for HDTV (480p and sometimes 1080i and 720p) but since HDTV has a 16:9 aspect ratio your EDTV is going to display it in as Widescreen. 720p is 1,280x720, you might have better luck creating a custom res profile using the NV control panel for 576p (this is a Progressive 4:3 res) which is 720x576 but your TV might not like it and resample it too 720p.

EDTVs are a cruel joke and only useful if you want to display something alot better then 480i (svideo) but don't expect them to be like a real HDTV. Try the 576p res and see what happens, it can't get any worst then 480p atleast.

CrimandEvil said:
They don't make 4:3 HDTVs, what you have is an EDTV which carries support for HDTV (480p and sometimes 1080i and 720p) but since HDTV has a 16:9 aspect ratio your EDTV is going to display it in as Widescreen. 720p is 1,280x720, you might have better luck creating a custom res profile using the NV control panel for 576p (this is a Progressive 4:3 res) which is 720x576 but your TV might not like it and resample it too 720p.

EDTVs are a cruel joke and only useful if you want to display something alot better then 480i (svideo) but don't expect them to be like a real HDTV. Try the 576p res and see what happens, it can't get any worst then 480p atleast.

Well it does do HD signals fine, just letterboxed...so I don't know if I wouldn't call it an HD tv or not...heres the link for the model

Sony 32"

Samsung and Sony both made HDTV's with 4:3 aspect ratios. Sony even had hi-scan rear projection tv's in 4:3.

ncantador said:
Samsung and Sony both made HDTV's with 4:3 aspect ratios. Sony even had hi-scan rear projection tv's in 4:3.

yep, I bought one of the first Wega's that was out, a 36" XBR 4:3, I still drool over it's picture quality.

Back