NVIDIA Corporation Volta Architecture Rumor Emerges

According to Beyond3D user xpea, Volta is rumored to be manufactured on a "custom TSMC 12-[nanometer] process." The user also adds that "a lot of wafers [are] already allocated" for the product ramp-up.

So what exactly is a 12-nanometer process?

DigiTimes first reported the existence of this technology, claiming that it is a "smaller version" of TSMC's 16-nanometer technology. On TSMC's most recent earnings call, management confirmed that it's working on an enhanced version of its 16-nanometer technology that delivers better performance, power consumption, and chip area -- though it wasn't clear whether TSMC will market the technology as "12-nanometer."

http://www.fool.com/investing/2017/01/22/nvidia-corporation-volta-architecture-rumor-emerge.aspx

So this "12nm" is really just "16nm Mark 2"?

Who cares? I just want benchmarks.

so gaming cards somewhere around may or june 2018 best case scenario. sounds about right!

The more I know about Volta the less likely I see a 1080Ti being released by Nvidia.

The more I know about Volta the less likely I see a 1080Ti being released by Nvidia.
That makes no sense as it will likely be well over a year from now before we get any desktop Volta cards. Of course there will be a 1080ti and/or a refresh of the Pascal cards during that time.

Few weeks ago Volta was supposed to be 16nm and on its' way in a year or so. Now we have 16nm 'like 12nm lolol'.

That makes no sense as it will likely be well over a year from now before we get any desktop Volta cards. Of course there will be a 1080ti and/or a refresh of the Pascal cards during that time.

All rumors seem to point to H2 2017 or latest H1 2018. There's not really that much time, so unless there's something special with Vega I just don't see the point, really.

I'm pretty certain professional Volta will come this year. Once that drops, I highly doubt people will continue to buy Pascal cards, and instead wait for a Volta refresh.

Consumer cards I wouldn't expect until May 2018. The HPC cards at best end of this year. Hopefully I am wrong and we get to play with Volta earlier.

Few weeks ago Volta was supposed to be 16nm and on its' way in a year or so. Now we have 16nm 'like 12nm lolol'.

Volta was always a year and half away from Pascal launch, right around early 2018. 12nm is just a modified 16nm, so I don't think its even an half node......

I can't imagine Nvidia would launch any serious Volta consumer cards till they've fully exploited Pascal.

We still haven't seen full-fat pascal in the consumer segment, and the best rumours put the 1080ti at less cores than the already cut Titan XP.

I'd expect a full-fat GP100 to land before a high end Volta, which'll be on a newer no doubt more expensive process. That just doesn't make sense, unless Vega is seriously competitive.

Well there's still no enthusiast level gpu(read not halo 1200 card) that can max every game at 60 fps and greater and 4k. Not to mention for you vr guys you still don't have a single GPU that can max out your games at the 90 fps mark either. So IMO until that happens Nvidia needs to keep going. Either that or start supporting sli properly again.

When consumer Volta comes will come down to cost, I think. If it costs the same as the current 16nm, and volume is close, there's no reason to stay on Pascal.

Its always good to hear that companies are moving and shaking and thinking about their next generation products. Nvidia has been on a roll lately, lets see if they can keep it going.

Nvidia has been on a roll for years and years honestly. There's nothing to stop them going forward.

Nvidia has been on a roll for years and years honestly. There's nothing to stop them going forward.

Without pressure from AMD (RTG), nVidia could become complacent like Intel. Unlike Intel, AMD has been more competitive in the GPU space than it has in the CPU space (at least Fury X was somewhat competitive with the 980 Ti and had pressure on nVidia's lower-end graphics-stack even now). When was the last competitive CPU from AMD? (Anyone who mentions Bulldozer needs to be immediately banned. :ROFLMAO:) Ryzen looks like it might have a shot but for the last half-decade... (I still have a working computer with a 1.4 GHz Athlon Thunderbird in it, the last AMD CPU system I ever built.)

However, nVidia is already showing signs of complacency. How else could they sell us a Titan with a GP102 that's a shadow of what it could be?

They could sell you a cut down gp102 because they know there are plenty of buyers with money burning a hole. Just look around here. Plenty of Titan Pascal owners in these parts. So long as there's buyers they will continue to charge out the ass.

I'm surprised that nvidia hasn't released any info about post-Volta architectures. They usually have charts and crap that go out for a few years.

People thought Pascal Titan would be a 2017 product and were proven very wrong when it released in August 2016. Similarly don't be too shocked if you see Volta in some form by the end of 2017.

NVIDIAs main competition and driver for better products is Wall Street, they want to see profits that justify the inflated stock price and the only way to do that is to keep pushing out new products on a regular schedule; AMD isn't competition, it's just there to prevent a monopoly lawsuit at this point.

People thought Pascal Titan would be a 2017 product and were proven very wrong when it released in August 2016. Similarly don't be too shocked if you see Volta in some form by the end of 2017.

yeah titan x pascal came out of the blue, not even reviewers were expecting it lol

yeah titan x pascal came out of the blue, not even reviewers were expecting it lol

Heh yup and I'll be one of the first on the Volta Titan train hopefully before the end of this year ;) Meanwhile AMD will be busy making "But but Better Red..just wait" slides and having Raja do a horse and pony show for that paid salesman named Linus.

Never claimed it was? Just said its exciting to hear about next generation products. That something you disagree with?
Just that it's like saying you're excited the sky is blue and the water is wet.

What happened to 10nm? TSMC started shipping 10nm at the end of last year.

Think 10 nm is for ARM mobile processors, its also viewed as a stop gap for those who don't want to wait for 7 nm but at the same time for those who don't want to stay at 16/14 nm.

So I take it, it will be on a 12nm process which is not really not a 12nm process but a 16nm process which is really not a 16nm process but a hybrid 20nm process. Gotcha. Go Nvidia! :LOL:

What happened to 10nm? TSMC started shipping 10nm at the end of last year.

Think of 10nm as with 20nm.

Also 12nm is just a renamed 4th 16nm node. 16FF, 16FF+, 16FFC, and then "12"nm. Its the best of the 4 obviously but its proper name would be 16something. TSMC/GloFo/Samsung is inflating their "nodes" big time.

Um, what? Are people smoking something new these days? I've seen this kind of misinformation in a couple other threads today. To be clear: Volta was supposed to be released in 2016. Then big Maxwell took a few months too long, and Nvidia realized stacked RAM was way too hard for 2016/2017. So Pascal came up - essentially a Maxwell node shrink + adaptations. What they call a "new architecture" is what Ivy Bridge was to Sandy Brigde, what Broadwell was to Haswell - a tick in Intel nomenclature, aka node shrink. Nothing more. If there's a Pascal "refresh" - cos AMD ain't competing much right now - it's more of a Pascal rehash - nothing new, sped up clocks, call it a day. We just did the shrink with Pascal, next should be actual new architecture. So, Volta should come out in 2017 with stacked RAM as was promised years ago - anything else released, tells you something went wrong, but Nvidia isn't one to admit and own up to its mistakes. Either way, depending on how you look at it, it's at least 1 year late:

OldRoadmap.jpg

Desktop Volta will NOT be coming out this year. Even the release for Volta in the Summit super computer has supposedly now been pushed back to 2018.

We are absolutely going to see either a Pascal refresh of some sort this year or just some new cards. It all depends on what AMD can release.

Back