Nvidia 185 drivers

calikool

[H]ard|Gawd
These 185 series drivers are giving me a lot more problems with games like Crysis and COD5 than any of them before. I have a new EVGA 260. Crysis and Cryostatis tend to give me blank black screens and then Vista says the driver crashed and it is recovering.

I may have to revert back to the 181 series.

Anyone else getting these crashes?

185 has served me very well, did you uninstall / driverclean, then reboot, reinstall, reboot again for the upgrade or did you just run the package while the old drivers were currently installed?

185 working good for me. looks like they did a few things with HDCP as these are the best drivers i've found yet that work with my 9400 IGP and my discrete 285 without too much issue. ive played mass effect, grid, iracing, trackmania nations, and a few others. i havent tried a hardcore fps yet though.

i still get a blue screen once in a while during the start of a blu-ray, but meh. its been happening since day one with this build, and its only a temporary rig until i upgrade to i7 and then use this motherboard for my htpc. wouldnt surprise me if it was anydvd causing those crashes though.

I installed the new 185's last week, after running ccleaner to uninstall the drivers and running registry edit to clan up the little bits. And I instantly got full on lock ups in L4D. I went back to the 182 series and voila issues gone. I was jazzed about these new ones since they boasted such nice increases in performance, but was sad to go in the opposite direction.

I had originally just did the uninstall old drivers, reboot, and install the new 185.85 driver. As mentioned before I would have issues.

Googled for the guru3d driver cleaner program. It has actually dated to 2006 but may still have merit. Ran the uninstaller for 185, reboot into safe mode. Run the drivercleaner to remove all other traces of the driver. Reboot. Installed the 185.85 once again and reboot.

The LG monitor that I have will then not be centered which I have to correct by adding a registry key.

I tried Crysis again and it worked for the most part at 1900x1200- 8x antialias and on HIGH for all game settings. I had about 30fps most of the time. I will get some artifacts withn the graphics when moving around at times but not sure what it is doing because the it's so quick.

The evga reference board that I'm using, EVGA 896-P3-1255-AR, was also running at 676Mhz for the core when I used the precesion tuner. I toned it back down to 624Mhz. It was like being overclocked by default.

I will need to try the Cryostasis game again and see if it continues to blank out.

I installed the newest 185 WHQL on top of the last driver (182) and i've had no problems in games with my GTX 260.

I don't care for 185. CP opens slow with SLi enabled and takes a long time to apply settings. With AoC trying to run the DX10 client would not work at all under Win 7 x64. Installing the Vista x64 182.50 driver instead fixed all problems.

They don't work right in DoW2, either. Can't select "Ultra" settings anymore. The warning.log looks like cards are being detected with half their memory.

Will agree that this drivers are buggy but i'm sure they offer big boost in Crysis the main
reason i keep them they give me 6 + fps in real game play vs 182.50 i can live with
slow nvcp,but can't live with low fps don't know about IQ to be honest cant notice any
major changes of quality.I'm using extreme settings with maximum eye candy every
frame is important to me don't like to go under 25 using (16XAF/SS AA 8X) enhanced.
Texture filtering high quality maxing the nvcp :D The game look alot better with this settings
but there is big fps hit no doubt.

I still can't get the demo of Cryostasis to work. Just a blank black screen. Ctrl Alt Del takes me back to the desktop. I didn't see the dreiver recovery window popup but that doesn't mean it didn't happen.

Uninstalled the demo and will install the full game that I just downloaded last night. I suspect the same thing will happen.

Will agree that this drivers are buggy but i'm sure they offer big boost in Crysis the main
reason i keep them they give me 6 + fps in real game play vs 182.50 i can live with
slow nvcp,but can't live with low fps don't know about IQ to be honest cant notice any
major changes of quality.

I don't want to lose frames either but if other games don't work then the switch back to 182's will have to suffice. Fix your buggy ass drivers Nvidia.

Back