NV5 Silencers and SLi

Dan_D

Extremely [H]
I've never seen pictures of this or a clear cut yes or no to this question. Can two 6800GT's in SLi both be installed with NV5 silencers? Specifically on an A8N-SLi Deluxe?

I'd love pics of this.

I've got SLi hardware on it's way and my current 6800GT has an NV5 silencer on it, and I am not sure everything will fit together like that. I would really like it if they could, as I'd install a second NV5 on the other card.

My friend Chris has two Ultras in SLI and yes you should be able to get Silencers on both GTs.

On two Ultras though, probably not.

mentok1982 said:
My friend Chris has two Ultras in SLI and yes you should be able to get Silencers on both GTs.

On two Ultras though, probably not.

Why? All the NV silencers are the same size (I.E. they take up 1 slot themselves)

Yes, you will be able to, even on ultras

Well the NV5 is slightly larger than the Ultra's cooler. So I was concerned about it. I had also never seen it done or seen any pictures of it.

Just as a note, PCI-E GT's are the exact same PCB layout and have the exact same power components that the Ultra's have as far as I can tell.

Whereas the AGP cards were missing a molex and a couple caps. This isn't the case with PCI-E cards. So I can see no reason why anyone would have issues on a GT or Ultra. If it works with one it should work with the other.

There is definately plenty of room to install the silencers on an A8N-SLI, although I also heard something about interference with a componenton the PCI-E 6800 layout unless you get rev2 of the silencer...

I would not recommend installing these in any of the other SLI boards as the intake for the fan would be almost completely blocked. Anyway it seems the zalman vf700's are better temp wise

I've got a rev 1 NV5 silencer on my PCI-E 6800GT. So I don't think theres truth in that. It's a close fit over the power components, but it does work.

Well I found a picture of 2 of these bad boys in SLi with NV5 Silencers installed. I honestly don't see quite how it could work on any boards other than the Asus due to clearance issues. Asus left more space between the cards than anyone else seems to have.

So I'll grab another Silencer and hopefully all my hardware will be here by Friday. Just in time for the weekend.

Back