NumberFields

Gilthanis

[H]ard|DCer of the Year - 2014
Edited for sensitive information.

Last edited:
That or if you run multiple projects so your host is spending part of its time crunching elsewhere... they wont notice it as easy either.

Top TR is mine now - reg threads, but with the app_config in place. Seems not at all suspicious :D

How many are you running per thread? And what kind of point gain did you see?

Running .33 per thread for a day or so (that seems to 'cook' tasks up to a nice decent time period) - then set to 1 to finish them off.

As for points gain, not entirely sure. Don't really have a baseline for stock.

point gain was almost liniear for me . i was topping out around 100k per day and then when i started running 3 up i was getting 300k plus
I stopped it for now to "let the heat die down" ;)

Now I've to figure out how to install latest Nvidia driver 418 on my ubuntu 16.04. Anyone knows. I'll google tomorrow, being lazy :D

Looks like 1080Ti can produce 4.5M PPD at least based on this rig: https://numberfields.asu.edu/Number...=1416183&offset=0&show_names=0&state=4&appid=
I think this belongs to caveman.

The other 1080 with 2990WX, I'm guessing it belongs to Vietoz: https://numberfields.asu.edu/Number...=1465134&offset=0&show_names=0&state=1&appid=
Looks like he got a lot of GPU tasks.

There are good guides for it, but I'm sure it will be fun. I can't remember if the old Ubuntu will be an issue, but easy enough to upgrade if it is.

I've stopped running CPU since yesterday morning. Damn look at these numbers from yesterday output.

Looks like Ubuntu 16.04 doesn't have Nvidia-418 driver in the package. Got to upgrade to 18.04 :(

upload_2019-3-24_8-6-42.png

Looks like Ubuntu 16.04 doesn't have Nvidia-418 driver in the package. Got to upgrade to 18.04 :(

I figure you may have already sorted this but I came across the same problem this morning and absolutely did not want to have to upgrade to 18.04 in Mint. Version 415 was as far as the repository would go. It's a bit of a pita but you can install a 16.04 418 driver manually within the CLI with some tweaking.

I used the following steps after bastardising several guides I stumbled upon. There'll be further detail required to update current build and download the driver if you're not using a GUI.

Update current Linux build

Use a browser to download the latest Nvidia driver from Nvidia website – currently 418.56 for Linux – save to download folder in home directory

Install Prerequisites:

sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386

sudo apt update

sudo apt install build-essential libc6:i386

Revert back from using currently installed Nvidia driver to using Nouveau driver. This is straightforward in Mint GUI but IIRC was more of a hassle in Ubuntu.

Disable Nouveau Nvidia driver:

sudo bash -c "echo blacklist nouveau > /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-nvidia-nouveau.conf"

sudo bash -c "echo options nouveau modeset=0 >> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-nvidia-nouveau.conf"

cat /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-nvidia-nouveau.conf

sudo update-initramfs -u

sudo reboot

Stop Desktop Manager:

Hit CTRL+ALT+F1 and login with your username and password

sudo service lightdm stop

sudo init 3

Install Nvidia Driver:

To start installation of Nvidia driver (replace download location as appropriate)

cd /home/username/Downloads

sudo bash NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-418.56.run

sudo reboot

I'm sure there's an easier way but, ho hum, it worked.

Why no love for the linux upgrade? No better way to spend a Sunday afternoon. I usually even get them working again before midnight.

Back