NUC5i5RYH or i5-4670S/T

pavel

Gawd
I'm looking at a future build - not building for at least a month so the i5/Haswell combo can be just about anything. I found someone selling an i5-4670T (which is ideal) but I don't have the cash at the moment so it might be gone (asking $200). This is probably not as good a deal if you live in the USA or Europe, though.

I want a HTPC type computer that is all-purpose - gaming is not a priority. I have a GTX 750 in my own rig (LGA 775, Q6600) - which I might donate to a relative. In turn, I might get some help ($$) towards a new computer.

I thought the Broadwell NUC looks idea but these are mobile/laptop parts for the most part. It only looks a bit more powerful than my current LGA rig, right? But, the fact it's a lot less power/energy and newer is still good. I think a comparable laptop will be double the price of the NUC, right?

I could also go the Haswell route? I could get a Silverstone SG13 or ML07/05 - as I want the computer to be small and portable.

Any advice? I can wait until the NUC5i5RYH is released - I think the 'K' model is good, too. Maybe the M.2 SSD is sufficient but it's a bonus to have the extra SSD port. If I went with the Haswell build, I'd go with itx. I think the prices are comparable - meaning the itx build will be close to the cost of the NUC? Here, the NUC price won't be as good as in the USA - I think over $400 - probably close to $500=. Currently, the i3 Broadwell NUC is around $450.

With mobo, SFX PSU, cpu, case - $550 and that's on the low side?

A broadwell laptop w/ i5 cpu will be over that?

Is there anything to keep in mind in comparing these systems? I think the typical (Haswell) desktop build will be more powerful but run on more power.

From what I have seen with the broadwell laptop reviews, the integrated graphics is better but not mind blowingly better than the haswell chips. With that being said even the lowly dual core haswells give the q6600 a run for its money so you should at least have equal or better performance to your existing build with any of the nucs. Also keep in mind the nucs use the laptop version of the cpu's so they are not even close to the itx versions in the performance realm. I am personally a fan of the smaller the better as long as you are not sacrificing, which either case you really are not especially if you don't want much gpu acceleration.

Now if you want mild gaming I would recommend going mitx and an AMD APU, but that is a whole different ballgame.

From what I have seen with the broadwell laptop reviews, the integrated graphics is better but not mind blowingly better than the haswell chips. With that being said even the lowly dual core haswells give the q6600 a run for its money so you should at least have equal or better performance to your existing build with any of the nucs. Also keep in mind the nucs use the laptop version of the cpu's so they are not even close to the itx versions in the performance realm. I am personally a fan of the smaller the better as long as you are not sacrificing, which either case you really are not especially if you don't want much gpu acceleration.

Now if you want mild gaming I would recommend going mitx and an AMD APU, but that is a whole different ballgame.
I didn't think I'd get a reply. ;)

I agree with 'smaller the better as long as you are not sacrificing' - which is why I'm looking at the NUCs or an itx desktop. Although, I wanted a laptop for a long time but I'm afraid a comparable broadwell-equipped laptop will be at least double the price of the NUC and a Haswell desktop would be cheaper, too.

I'm not planning on gaming. The Haswell Intel 4600 would be enough but I also have a GTX 750 to put in a desktop build if I wanted. The NUC graphics is 6000, I believe. Again, sufficient. I don't have the cash to game. :)

I like the idea of newer tech. and a nice compact portable system like the NUC looks good. It will be expensive for the performance, though. It should be at least as good or better than the Q6600, though. I know that a Haswell build - for similar price, would be more powerful but I doubt I can get it as compact/small. I would need a -S or -T cpu as I doubt I could cool a Haswell cpu very easily in such a small case.

Thanks for the feedback! Something more to consider! ;)

Can someone tell me what (you think) is the smallest case that would house an i5 or i7 -T processor without having to worry about keeping it cool?

I'm thinking of these cases:
Silverstone SG13
ML04
APEX Black Steel DS-539 Micro ATX

I guess some of the cases, I wouldn't be able to re-use my gtx 750. Right?

So, I have to decide if I don't want compromise - and just want the case/system small or if I can compromise a bit and get a case that can accomodate the GTX 750 (EVGA) card.

Which case is the smallest that can accomodate the card, I wonder.... ??? The SG13?

I would use a SSD (or two). Can the I7-4790T, for e.g., be used with the smaller HTPC cases and still stay cool? I think so. Just can't game?

For memory, I'm looking at Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP (CL8) and Sport VLP (CL9).
An Intel H97 or Z97 mobo that has good fan options (I want 4-pin, right?) - do I need 2 ports?

I want it relatively quiet so after that, I'll look at quiet fans.

Otherwise, the other option is the NUC. :)

Last edited:
No gaming? Ditch the card and use integrated graphics. Don't need an optical drive inside the case?

Easy!

S-CPU 65W TDP with stock cooler
H97 chipset ITX board
RAM
up to two 2.5" HDD/SSD
Antec ISK 110-VESA case

No gaming? Ditch the card and use integrated graphics. Don't need an optical drive inside the case?

Easy!

S-CPU 65W TDP with stock cooler
H97 chipset ITX board
RAM
up to two 2.5" HDD/SSD
Antec ISK 110-VESA case

I love the antec isk110, freaking amazingly small and compact

Does it sound possible (or shady) that someone is able to find various processors - i7-4770, i7-4790T (what I'm interested in) and others - and then sells them? I think it must be someone with connections to Asia?

Anyway, I am looking at a mini-itx system. I'm having a hard time finding a case I like that is also a price I can budget. I like some of these cases people are building - like the NCase and Osmi - but, I think it will be too expensive after shipping?

I also can't decide if I want something really small - since, I like the size of these NUC cases - but, the ones out there for itx seem outdated - they often have USB 2.0 ports. Bleh. So, I looked at Silverstone HTPC cases shaped like the ML07 or ML05B for e.g. Any thoughts? So, it's those vs the SG05, SG13 (which is not available in my region - still!) and the cube-shaped cases. One particular cube-shaped case that looked okay - DIYPC HTPC-Cube-BK and Thermaltake Core V1 - but, this is a bit heavy - 8.80 lbs? Has anyone heard of the DIYPC case? It can even house an ATX PSU. But, it's only 6lbs! Seems pretty good albeit a bit big.

I really like the Lian Li PC-Q19B - it fits all of my preferences but it's really expensive - $165. Is there anything on the market like that one? Maybe the Silverstone HTPC cases - but, they're meant to be horizontal/htpc units, right? Anyway, does that make sense - of what I'm looking for? I want a low-power i5 or o7 cpu and I'm content with using a low profile cooler. I won't be doing any overclocking although I'm looking for the most powerful cpu (I can afford) - I will probably budget $200-$300 at most for it. That's why the NUC is ideal but is not upgradeable and is pretty costly for the processing power you get compared if you build your own system?

The Antec isk110 looks pretty good but seems a bit outdated, maybe? USB 2.0 ports? I know I don't need usb 2.0 but for any amount of $$ on a new case, shouldn't they at least offer 1 or 2 usb 3.0 ports? :) Maybe, I'm just picky....???

The go on sale @ frys for ~$50 after coupons occasionally. Considering that they come with a psu, thats a steal and i'll gladly give up front panel usb3 for that

Back