ntop over time?

Anyone know of a program similar to ntop that will show usage over time? Realtime data is nice, but I need to know more about what is happening over time, on a per IP basis. I'm already using Cacti to monitor interfaces, but it can't track flows per user to hosts on the net.

I'm fearing there is no good solution to this...hoping you guys/gals can help out!

If your equipment supports it, netflow data exported to a nice collector (such as Fluke's Netflow Tracker) is awesome.

Doesn't ntop do this as long as you don't restart the process, or am I missing what your needs are?

Technically yes, but the whole loss of all data if the service restarts is a showstopper.

It won't be used for accounting (atleast not yet), but needs to provide a similar functionality. I can already use cacti to see the usage at a given time. So the next thing I need to know is who was the culprit of the spike in usage. In this sense, ntop is no good. For realtime monitoring it's great (as it was designed this way). But I need to go back to a point in time and see who was talking to who, up to days/weeks ago.

I strongly suspect that the data storage requirements (even of just flows) could be why this doesn't appear to be a popular thing.

I strongly suspect that the data storage requirements (even of just flows) could be why this doesn't appear to be a popular thing.

Well, at least nProbe can archive the flow data to disk, but I'm not aware of any existing options to easily analyze the data set, other than developing something in-house.

Back