NTFS HD in a Linux system?

Deadjasper

2[H]4U
Just installed a caddyless HDD rack in my main system, Linux Mint latest version all updates installed. It's connected to the on board SAS controller on the X9SRH-7F motherboard. I put a 2TB SAS HD in it that was previously in a Windows system and it showed up in Nemo just like it's supposed to. Problem is I could do nothing with it. right click paste was grayed out and drag and drop copying did nothing. I then reformatted to Ext4 and all was well.

I thought you could perform file operations on a NTFS drive in Linux. Am I mistaken or could it have something to do with the drive and controller being SAS?

TIA

Thanks guys, gonna tackle it again tomorrow. It would be nice to be able to transfer files from Windows to Linux via a portable drive. Vice versa would be nice too but I know that ain't gonna happen.

Thanks guys, gonna tackle it again tomorrow. It would be nice to be able to transfer files from Windows to Linux via a portable drive. Vice versa would be nice too but I know that ain't gonna happen.
Try using exFAT, which is writable across multiple OSes.

NTFS support in Linux is experimental and is usually mounted read-only by default. You can change that in fstab if you like to live dangerously. I personally never had issues with it but my experience goes all the way back to drives formatted by NT 4.

As ChrimsonKnight13 said, use exFAT instead for transfer medium.

NTFS support in Linux is experimental and is usually mounted read-only by default. You can change that in fstab if you like to live dangerously. I personally never had issues with it but my experience goes all the way back to drives formatted by NT 4.

As ChrimsonKnight13 said, use exFAT instead for transfer medium.
^^^

This. The kernel has it's own driver now for NTFS. Previously you needed ntfs-3g to be installed.

However, as Algrim said it's probably read-only so you need to modify fstab to allow read/write access.

I've used NTFS on Linux for a very very very long (10 years?) time without issue. ntfs-3g The "new" kernel driver is actually less complete, YMMV.

Yes, while probably not stellar, the ability to pretty much safely read and write to NTFS volumes has been possible from as far back as kernel 2.6.
It never gave me a catastrophic failure using it that way, but Windows did pee a little and run its scandisk on the following Windows boot.
I also used it like that to remove some viruses that liked to hide in weird-ass directories.

Leenux might have decided to mount read-only because it noticed a dirty bit is set (unclean previous shutdown, potential corruption).
Do a `mount' without arguments and see what parameters were set at mount.

I've never had a problem reading from and writing to NTFS based partitions. Quite possibly the drive was previously flagged as 'dirty' under Windows, as a result Linux couldn't write to the drive.

Back