Now running 48GB 8-)

r00k

2[H]4U
In a bout of excitement, i just wanna post that I'm now running 48 Gig of Ram on my eVGA X58 3X SLI. For a motherboard that supports 12GB officially, and lists 24GB as the unofficial limit, and is starting to age by some standards, 48GB seems quite an achievement. Now if only i could get a reasonable price on a six-core..

The cell phone camera isn't that great, but it should get the idea across..

CPUUsage.jpg

HDTune.jpg

Last edited:
i dont understand why u need so much ram..?

I think the age old answer of "just because I can" applies here. I have no idea why you would need that much ram, but I can say i'm a little jealous. That's 6x more than I have.

The main reason i suppose is that I am a very heavy multi-tasker, and i like to build simulated active directory environments with multiple virtual machines. I use DataRam's RAMDISK to create temporary virtual hard disks as well for ultra fast file access in certain situations. Yeah my SSD also helps in this area, but these too can bog down when you run several machines on one, host OS included. Once you get into this stuff, you'd be surprised at how quickly you can eat up 24 gig..

My typical idle memory usage is around 6.2 gig without vm's. What it's using all that for i really don't know.

Other reasons? it's fun watching people's expressions when they hear that number, and because i can. i like being able to push this rig and see how much i can do with it without slowing it down, and when i'm training, i need to build environments quickly so i can get to the meat and potatoes of whatever i'm trying to learn

Thats pretty cool.

I'm on 24 gig on the x58 platform, I use virtual machines as well, and they can eat up the ram quick. I dont get the people that can't comprehend memory beyong 2GB, wtf are they doing with multi-thousand-dollar systems that they only need 2GB of ram.... ffs go get a $200 playstation... but I digress...

This makes me want to go grab 4 more 4GB sticks to stick in my rig.. and I could use it too.

If Samsung comes out with 8GB sticks of the LV stuff, I would want to cram a full 64GB in my system.

Did you take a wrong turn looking for AnandTech or Tom's Hardware? This is [H]ard|OCP and most people do things around here just to see if they can be done. :D

Way to go, OP! Funny when you mentioned the amount the first thing that came to my mind was a ramdisk. I'd love to have that amount of RAM on my video editing rig as well... :eek:

I dunno, your RAM to Optical drive ratio is only 9.6

I ran out of SATA / IDE Ports. 3 disk drives, 2 eSATA ports (both frequently used), 3 SATA DVDRW and 2 IDE DVDRW. Sometimes if i really need extra burners i hook up the USB external...

I'd put more in there if i could. For my wedding thank-you cards, my wife and i produced 100 picture cds with one of the pictures as a lightscribe label. This machine made relatively quick work of that project :cool: . Every now and then i have someone who needs several copies of something, so its nice to say "5 copies? come back in 3 minutes or so"

after-thought: i've toyed with adding more sata ports via a card, but it just wouldn't look right..

Sweet...maybe I'll add more memory to mine one day.

Or I can save up for another new car...hmmm.

That's a sick amount of RAM for your PC. I have that much in my storage array, which has 24 3TB HDs in RAID10 and 2 E5-2690s.

That is an amazing benchmark. Are you running your OS/software on a RAM disk?

I live above my office, so this is my work and home PC. I own and run a computer service center / consulting company. So i do everything here, be it photoshop, video editing, gaming (not much sadly), most business related activity, manage many clients remotely, training and simulation (those AD environments etc.), and yes, shits and giggles.

I don't run my OS from RAM disk, and i don't install software directly to the RAM disk. Host OS is on my Vertex 2 SSD. Sometimes if i need to test software in a sandbox, i will whip up a vm entirely on ram disk (say, create a 15 gig partition and put a vmdk on it). I do have templates as well that i can drag and drop to the partition as well. Either way, installing a virtualized OS entirely in RAM saves mucho time :)

Back