Notebook help.

bassboy_pete

Limp Gawd
Hey all,

I am looking to purchase a notebook for school. I have looked around a bit, but havn't found much anything good. So I come hear to ask for suggestions. The laptop I am looking for must have some things. It must have a mobile chip - centrino, p4-m, or athlon xp-m. HD space isn't a biggie, has to have 512mb or so RAM, and it must have wireless as well. Also, I would like it to have a decent video card. Nothing too fancy, but something like the Radeon 9200 or something. I don't want the laptop to be huge and suck up lots of power.

Another thing as well though, I do not want dell. I do not like dell at all, and refuse to support them in any way. The laptop has to be from larger companies like hp, sony, compaq and the like because I work at a staples, and I can but it though a employee computer purchase plan and get lots of money off. So I have to be able to get it from them. Through special orders or whatever.

Also another important thing is that it cannot be too expensive, I do not want to spend more than $2000 CAN on it. So if anyone has any suggestions, please post.

Thanks

Get an emachines m6805. The bestbang for the buck and will be a great desktop replacement as well. Just my two cents. You get close to 3 hours of battery life, and on outlest power it is quite powerful.

well, what I am worried about with that machine is the actual size. Since I will be carrying this notebook around a lot, I want it to be really small and light.

The M6805 does not seem to be very light. I think it is 7.5 lbs. I like mine, but it may be too heavy for your needs, as well as more computer than you need.

HP / Compaq -> bad service/reliability.
Sony -> never touch, personally. They make you make your own driver disks.
Toshiba -> where I'd look, if I were you.

Alright guys, I have found a laptop I think. Its an older Toshiba M10. Here are the specs:

Centrino 1.4Ghz
256mb RAM
40GB Hard Drive
15.0" UXGA Screen
CDRW/DVD ROM
10/100 and wireless of course
Nvidia Gefore 420 Go w/32mb Dedicatted DDR
Windows XP Pro

Some of the specs may be wrong because this was jst printed from a computer. I know that the Memory is a littly short, but I can easily upgrade it for $90 CAN. The laptop I can get for: $1527.30 CAN

I personally think it is a good deal. Its got a really good brand, and Its got a great screen. Aparently the M10 series is supposed to last around 5 hours. The battery.

What do you guys think?

Another choice is the Compaq X1050CA, found here. Almost the same specs as the Toshiba M10, but lower screen (WXGA), Radeon 9200 instead of Geforce, and WinXP Home.

That's my laptop choice, but it's 1699.99 so I'm still waiting for a deal. May I ask where are you going to get the Toshiba M10? Its hard to find in Toronto. I would go with the M10 because my teacher brags about how good Toshiba's harddrive are more reliable but I think they are about the same as other companies.

Turns out that I get an even better deal than before.

That same M10, but I can get it for $1357.60 CAN

I think it is a good deal, but what do you all think?

I am gettingit from staples, but I work there so it is cheaper for me. But take a look for it at staples. The model has been discountinued, but some stores may still have them.

Originally posted by bassboy_pete
Alright guys, I have found a laptop I think. Its an older Toshiba M10. Here are the specs:

Centrino 1.4Ghz
256mb RAM
40GB Hard Drive
15.0" UXGA Screen
CDRW/DVD ROM
10/100 and wireless of course
Nvidia Gefore 420 Go w/32mb Dedicatted DDR
Windows XP Pro

Some of the specs may be wrong because this was jst printed from a computer. I know that the Memory is a littly short, but I can easily upgrade it for $90 CAN. The laptop I can get for: $1527.30 CAN

I personally think it is a good deal. Its got a really good brand, and Its got a great screen. Aparently the M10 series is supposed to last around 5 hours. The battery.

What do you guys think?

My only complaint would be the video, for gaming, but otherwise that is a GREAT lappy and a good deal :) I'd get it.

I easily get 6 hours out of my M15 (same as M10) with the LCD brightness at it's lowest.

Only downsides are the size and weight. And the max resolution is 1024x768 :eek:

But other than that, it's a great laptop.

Originally posted by liquidzyklon
Another choice is the Compaq X1050CA, found here. Almost the same specs as the Toshiba M10, but lower screen (WXGA), Radeon 9200 instead of Geforce, and WinXP Home.

That's my laptop choice, but it's 1699.99 so I'm still waiting for a deal. May I ask where are you going to get the Toshiba M10? Its hard to find in Toronto. I would go with the M10 because my teacher brags about how good Toshiba's harddrive are more reliable but I think they are about the same as other companies.

Compaq? ~shudder~

Get the Toshiba. That's a great deal.

That's a good deal, get the Toshiba. I've noticed that I can't find the Toshiba M10 on staples.ca site, but they have the Compaq 1050CA at 1497 instead of 1699 at Futureshop.

For what you are wanting to do, get the Toshiba. Great deal, and they are built like tanks.

Back