Not sure what to do PSU killed 2 systems

Savi

Gawd
Hello not realy sure what to do if i should RMA the broken parts or do what Corsair told me to do. Well heres what happened I recently moved got to new house hoocked up computers and every thing worked fine for a few days, There was not to much dust in the case i cleaned it with a air duster b4 we moved and there is a filter for the PSU fan

The case i have is a CoolerMaster Cosmos S, I had a Zalman zm-mfc1 to control and power the fans. there are 2 toggle switch's on the controler that i did not use but they were being powered. One day i noticed one of the toggle switch's looked broken so I moved it up and down to make sure, The computer was on when i did this all of a suden the PC shut down like i pulled the power plug. But the red power switch to the case was still being powered. (the Cosmos S power switch glows a light red when off and a stronger red when on) So i was not sure it was the power supply, my only other spare PC i had at the time was my WHS box i unpluged every hard drive power and sata and started testing defrent parts to see what would work. end of the day My Corsair HX1000 killed 2 motherboards, 4 hard drives 1 of them a SSD 1 raptor and 2 wd black. The ram vid card and sound card from main PC seem to be fine I have no idea if the CPU's are gone or still work no extra motherboard atm to test them

I called Corsair they told me to fill out a RMA app on the web site to get a RMA number then call back. They said I can mail them all of the broken parts for them to test to see if it was the PSU that broke them and they would give me some form of compensation. Im not sure if i should do that or try and RMA the parts.

My main rig was a Q6600 Go, 4 gigs of ram, gtx 280

my WHS box was a AMD X2 5050e 2 gigs of ram on board vid, was a cheap mombo for like 50 bucks i bought a new one so i can at least get my box back up.

Sorry for the long post and the missspeling just need some advice on what i should do

Did you have the same power supply powering two systems simultaneously? Your post makes it seem like you did.

Did you have the same power supply powering two systems simultaneously? Your post makes it seem like you did.

oh sorry no i did not after my main rig failed I used the WHS motherboard to see what i could get working i took out all of the WHS hard drives and put them aside and started testing what I could one by one using my WHS rigs motherboard, I used the power supply from my WHS box on my main box the PC did not start up but power was going to the power button it was light red the way the Cosmos S usaly looks when it is off. So i put my HX1000 PSU in my WHS box to see if it was that thats when it runed the 2nd mother board

hope that makes sence i was just testing various parts with my WHS rigs motherboard

I called Corsair they told me to fill out a RMA app on the web site to get a RMA number then call back. They said I can mail them all of the broken parts for them to test to see if it was the PSU that broke them and they would give me some form of compensation. Im not sure if i should do that or try and RMA the parts.

I say mail them the parts. This way, you'll get indepedent testing of ALL your hardware at the same time.

I wouldnt listen to corsair. How can they fully test the parts. Each brands RMA process is different, and to different standards. Id mail them off to the individual companies, and go from there.

Uh, were you thinking coherently when you wrote that?
Corsair can fully test the parts by putting the WD drive in their own rig to see if it works. Then the SSD in their own rig, and so on, until all drives are tested.

From there, they test the RAM in their own rig, and the CPU as well.
Is that really that hard to do?

Finally they test the PSU on their tester bench. And if it doesn't work, well, guess what?

You just have to trust that they will do the job thoroughly.

Back