Not all MPEG's seen on Sony BDP-S470 bluray player

Ryland

2[H]4U
Does anybody have any idea why some of the mpeg's which are in a directory on my pc can be seen by my Sony player yet others, in the same directory, aren't seen. I already found that WMP thinks that some videos are 0 seconds long so won't pass it along to DLNA clients (I fixed this by deleting the videos from WMP and readding them) but yet some videos with valid times aren't seen.

That's pretty generic. Open them in mediainfo and see what the difference in the files that work and ones that do not are.

Its very generic which is whats driving me a bit nuts on this. According to mediainfo both working and non-working are MPEG-2 files. Working ones are at a lower bitrate than the non-working one (recorded from SD stream vs QAM stream). Working has 2 channel audio, nonworking has 4 channel audio.

I haven't figured out yet whether its my computer (WMP) not telling the bluray player about the file or whether its the bluray player which doesn't like the file for some reason.

I would say it's a very safe bet to place most of the blame on sony.

Just convert it to AVCHD.

Well so far I have tried:

1) Verified that WMP sees a valid length
2) Shortened the file name to see if it was too long
3) Renamed the file so that the filename doesn't start with numbers

The only other thing I can think of is something within the bitrate of the file but since its bitrate is less than the maximum allowed by DLNA I can't see why it would be an issue.

That doesn't solve the problem as to why the Sony won't see that specific mpeg via DLNA like it should.

I realize it doesn't solve the problem.. but you said it yourself.

Sony, and should, are often found in the same sentence.

Well this is replacing a DLink extender that had plenty of video format issues which I have worked through so I figured this would be something similar. Sony wants me to call them to work through this, like that will be useful.

I have now had the same thing happen with an SD recording so I doubt it is the fact that the first recording was in HD.

It looks like the beta version of BTV supports H.264/AVCHD files so I will try that.

This is why the extender as a seperate device and not PC based will never work. Some files, for whatever reason, just won't be playable.

Build a real HTPC.

This ended up being a bug with Vista. I moved the same files onto my NAS box and the bluray player now shows all of the video. Now if I could just get my avi's to show up...

Back