Not able to access files on HDD

daphatgrant

Fi-yah!
Staff member
Hey [H], I'm in the process of upgrading my old file server and have run into a speedbump. I have a Supermicro board that I had a bunch of HDD's attached to and was using Windows Storage Spaces for "backup". I'm moving from a bunch of smaller HDD's to 4 large HDD's but keeping the same board/chip/ram. In preparation for the transfer I copied everything from the old HDD's to one of the new drives. I then reinstalled windows on the OS drive and attached 3 of the new drives, created a storage pool and then attached the drive that had everything on it. My intention then was to copy everything over from the new drive to the new storage pool, format the single drive and add it to the pool.

My problem is that when I go to look for the drive it is there under disk manager but the portion of the drive with the data on it shows as unallocated... I hooked the HDD back up to my main desktop where I copied everything to and it all shows up normally. Right now I am copying everything over to the new storage pool through a USB3 HDD dock on my desktop to the switch to the new storage pool. Attaching the dock directly to the Supermicro board isn't feasible as it only has USB2.

What am I doing wrong? Why can't I see the files on the Supermicro board? Does it have something to do with the controller on the board? In the end I am transferring the files successfully and around 100MB/s currently so I'm getting it done, but I was hoping to have it all done in one case.

Thanks!

Back