Noob Question

snowysnowcones

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey everybody!
I recently purchased new hardware - everything but the hard drive, and I'm planing on installing Vista on it. However, I only have the upgrade edition of Vista. Now, I'm a pretty big noob when it comes to Operating Systems, and I'm wondering if I'll still be able to upgrade to vista without having to do a fresh install of XP, before I can upgrade. (Will XP boot properly with the new hardware, and I'll be able to upgrade to vista, or should I do a fresh install of XP, then upgrade to Vista)?

Thanks!
-Snowy

There's a sticky floating around, and it's been mentioned quite a bit, but you can install the upgrade version on a blank drive. Don't put in the serial number. Once it's up and running, pop in your Vista DVD again, and "upgrade" again. This time, put in your serial, and everything is fine.

There's a sticky floating around, and it's been mentioned quite a bit, but you can install the upgrade version on a blank drive. Don't put in the serial number. Once it's up and running, pop in your Vista DVD again, and "upgrade" again. This time, put in your serial, and everything is fine.

I don't have a blank drive :S

I guess I misunderstood with all the talk about XP. If you want XP to run on the new hardware (assuming it's already installed and you didn't mention that), run Sysprep before shutting down your old PC to move the drive to the new setup.

If it's Vista you really want installed, back up your data, wipe the drive clean, move it to the new PC, and then install Vista as I mentioned above.

I guess I misunderstood with all the talk about XP. If you want XP to run on the new hardware (assuming it's already installed and you didn't mention that), run Sysprep before shutting down your old PC to move the drive to the new setup.

If it's Vista you really want installed, back up your data, wipe the drive clean, move it to the new PC, and then install Vista as I mentioned above.
Yeah, I want XP to be able to boot, so I can install Vista upgrade

You don't need XP installed in order to install Vista. See the comments in my first post.

But I do have it installed...

oh boy, I think I'm getting myself confused >.<

edit
..wait..is there an option to do a clean install on the upgrade disc?

you have drive with xp installed and bought new hardware. Now you want to just plug everything in, boot xp and upgrade to vista?

I would say since you have new hardware to do a clean install (no overclocks on hardware either) of vista after backing up your data from your xp install.

what djnes suggested was a workaround and not an option on the disc if that is what you aksed. I would do a clean install myself of vista if my end goal was to run vista.

Natively? What do you mean by that?

1. Backup drive
2. Put drive in new machine.
3. Install Vista (don't enter serial). When installing Vista format your hard drive at the provided.
4. Boot from Vista cd again and this time select upgrade and enter the serial when asked.

At least I think thats how it goes...

The whole point is this:

It's not necessary to install Vista TWICE - read the post I just linked to and you'll understand you can do this with one clean no-key install and then 2 commands + 1 command to verify the activation from an Administrative Command Prompt.

Really people, stop preaching the double-install method. It's twice the effort for no logical reason when it can all be done with one truly clean install and 3 command line commands.

Back