Noob HSF Question

rgbyhkr

n00b
Ok, since I'm building my firct PC, there are some things I don't know much about. One of the new areas for me is cooling. I know I will probably get into OCing eventually, but initially, I will concentrate on building the thing and getting it up and running. After making sure everything works well and is stable, I'll start learning about OC'ing.

The question I have is, since this is the route I'm taking, would it be too much of a PITA to simply use the generic HSF that comes with the new processor and replace it later? I'm just thinking that with a lot of new parts, if something isn't working right, it may be easier to identify if I try and keep the variables down to a minumum. I understand that when I do want to OC, replacing the HSF is certainly a good idea. This isn't a cost issue, just a matter of how tough it is to replace later on. By the way, the case I'm planning on using (Coolermaster TAC-T01-E1C) has a mobo tray that may make fan replacement a bit easier.

Any thoughts?

you should be just fine, especially with a mobo tray. i have taken my stock hsf off a couple times when i replaced my mobo and everything worked out fine. i just baught a volcano 11 and boy was that a biatch to clip in but for the most part...i would say dont worry about your cooling just yet..once shes up and running go buy a hsf of your liking that is compatible with your socket and mobo...BAM all you gotta do is install it and also put some thermal grease on and your done.

Since putting on a new hsf is fairly simple and can be done rather quickly even after your system is built, you could stick with the stock hsf and see how it works and then upgrade later.

It also depends on the cpu you have. Stock p4 hsf's have been known to offer very good performance, even compared to many after-market ones. I still use my stock on a p4 2.8B @ 3.06 with no real heat problems, but I'm considering remounting it with some arctic silver 5.

you have to apply the paste properly, there are links on here for it in various threads

the hardest part is taking off the clips, i used to have a zalman flower which was the only heatsink that was easy to take off

otherwise it usually takes me a screwdriver under the chin then pliers and/or a second screwdriver to pull it away from the base... im sure someone here can suggest a better method but i havent found it on my own yet

Ya i hate how hard it is to clip these fricken things on..i had to remove the fan on mine just so i could see where my clip was going...also seems to put a lot of stress on the mobo too.. :rolleyes: i wont be removing this for a while

I built for the first time and am in the process of finishing. The amd 64 is a lot better to apply TP on than the XP versions where you hit the core..blimey.. and P4s are also v good for application. The HSF clip whacked me the nail hard when unclipping to inspect the paste..

Thanks for the advice fellas. I'll be going with an AMD 64 setup. I'll go with stock for now and upgrade later when I move into the OC realm.

Back