Noctua Introduces NM-DD1 Direct Die Kit for Delidded AMD AM5 Processors

Rev. Night

[H]ard|Gawd
Noctua today introduced its new NM-DD1 direct die kit. Developed in cooperation with professional overclocker and direct die cooling expert Roman "der8auer" Hartung, the NM-DD1 is a mounting spacer kit that makes it possible to use a wide range of Noctua CPU coolers on delidded AMD AM5 processors. Removing the processor's integrated heat spreader (delidding) and putting the heatsink directly onto the dies allows for much more efficient thermal transfer and can thereby lower CPU temperatures significantly, with typical gains in the range of 10-15°C.
The NM-DD1 can be ordered exclusively via Noctua's website for a service charge of EUR 4.90. A

Hmmm this interests me greatly. I had a 6700K that I delidded and was able to do a massive OC of 700mhz. Now obviously, the Ryzens wont be able to do that, but the temp drop does make me really excited.

My question is: how to delid? With my 6700K, I got a rockitcool guide that made it super easy. I looked at their website and they dont offer anything. I'm sure as hell not going to use a straight razor.

https://www.techpowerup.com/310554/...irect-die-kit-for-delidded-amd-am5-processors

Ughhhh. So since I am doing this by myself, unsponsored by anyone, I take it the steps are:

1. Go to best buy bc fuckem. Buy a new ryzen 7700x
2. Take this new cpu, put it in a vice clamp (towels around it and whatnot)
3. Use dental floss on each of the 8 arms (this sucks)
4. Use heat gun at ~160F so that IHS slides right off
5. Clean with rubbing booze
6. Seat CPU into mobo
7. Apply TG Conducto (careful as AF). May be a good idea to put nail polish/kraypton tape around die in case TG leaks
8. Apply TG Conducto to underside of new Noctua base place in exactly matching places?
9. Install CPU heatsink
10. Profit?
11. If cpu is dead, return LOL. If CPU works, then return old cpu LOL

I'm scared shitless of steps 8 and 9. Whenever I have to take the CPU fan off, there is going to be Liquid Metal exposed right? At least with my 6700k, the IHS was back on, so the LM stayed in there. I just had to deal with non-conductive paste.

Ughhhh. So since I am doing this by myself, unsponsored by anyone, I take it the steps are:

1. Go to best buy bc fuckem. Buy a new ryzen 7700x
2. Take this new cpu, put it in a vice clamp (towels around it and whatnot)
3. Use dental floss on each of the 8 arms (this sucks)
4. Use heat gun at ~160F so that IHS slides right off
5. Clean with rubbing booze
6. Seat CPU into mobo
7. Apply TG Conducto (careful as AF). May be a good idea to put nail polish/kraypton tape around die in case TG leaks
8. Apply TG Conducto to underside of new Noctua base place in exactly matching places?
9. Install CPU heatsink
10. Profit?
11. If cpu is dead, return LOL. If CPU works, then return old cpu LOL

I'm scared shitless of steps 8 and 9. Whenever I have to take the CPU fan off, there is going to be Liquid Metal exposed right? At least with my 6700k, the IHS was back on, so the LM stayed in there. I just had to deal with non-conductive paste.
You shouldn't need to put it on the underside of the noctua base but wouldn't be too hard if you just check where the contact is before putting any LM on the cpu cores.

Yeah but the underside is going to make contact with the LM right? Should I later go and remove the heatsink and pull it up, there is going to be LM on the underside of that base

Back