Noctua D14 orientation?

pookguy88

Gawd
I'm about to install a Noctua D14 cooler in an Asus P8Z68-Pro, just wondering, which way should it be orientated? As in, I'm pretty sure I'll have the fans facing east/west (i.e. io ports to RAm slots) but which side of the CPU should the outter fan of the D14 be? Towards the io ports or the RAM slots? it will be going into an Antec P180 and there's a rear fan installed..

thanks!

Pookguy, it all depends on the style of your case and how your other fans are situated. I have my D14 in a north/south orientation with the hot air blowing out the top because I also have two P14 fans mounted at the top of my 690II case to exhaust the hot air.

I have the rear and front case fans pulling air out of the case, and have mounted bottom and side cover P14 fans to intake cool air in to the case. I decided to flip the front fan because my 6990 has exhaust ports which aim towards the front, so i didn't want that hot air to be recycled in to the case.

My bottom mounted PSU is also flipped to pull air from the inside of the case, but the side cover fans deliver a solid amount of fresh air to it.

Your main objective should be to pull in cool air and to exhaust hot air as best as you can. If you do not have top fan vents, then you'd want a rear exhaust fan to pull out the air from your east-west orientated D14, and you'd also want to make sure that the D14 is blowing hot air out towards the rear case fan.

Mine is south to north, in my raven 2 evo, due to 3 180mm fans blowing up and a 120 out the top. not sure if its the best, but what im trying

Pookguy, it all depends on the style of your case and how your other fans are situated. I have my D14 in a north/south orientation with the hot air blowing out the top because I also have two P14 fans mounted at the top of my 690II case to exhaust the hot air.

I have the rear and front case fans pulling air out of the case, and have mounted bottom and side cover P14 fans to intake cool air in to the case. I decided to flip the front fan because my 6990 has exhaust ports which aim towards the front, so i didn't want that hot air to be recycled in to the case.

My bottom mounted PSU is also flipped to pull air from the inside of the case, but the side cover fans deliver a solid amount of fresh air to it.

Your main objective should be to pull in cool air and to exhaust hot air as best as you can. If you do not have top fan vents, then you'd want a rear exhaust fan to pull out the air from your east-west orientated D14, and you'd also want to make sure that the D14 is blowing hot air out towards the rear case fan.

thanks for share, I just ended up getting D14 from a friend, I'm about to install it on my new rig, I think I'll try your method.

Back