No Video

wayout2day

Limp Gawd
HP 17x-051nr.... nice core i3-6100 "laptop"... client gave to me and would not power up... replaced the power button board... got power, but no video .... used External Monitor (HDMI)... and would not boot to HDD... "No Boot Device Found"... Tested RAM-ok... Tested HDD-ok... found evidence of a spill on the internal DVD... got suspicious... removed HDD and tested on other PC... Windows files all intact... Using Windows 10 DVD, installed WIN10 1608... still NO VIDEO on internal lcd screen... everything worked, including Keyboard and Touchpad... except LAN.... Device Manager shows LAN drivers installed... only shows basic video driver... Settings only shows 1 video (the external)........ i get a brief flicker on the edge of the lcd screen when i turn the pc on...

Replacement LCD is about $60 ..... Replacement MB available for $260....

Am i missing something ? should i try the replacment LCD.... or is the Motherboard cooked....

My guess was a short from a spill that knocked out the power button board initially.... thanks

HP 17x-051nr.... nice core i3-6100 "laptop"... client gave to me and would not power up... replaced the power button board... got power, but no video .... used External Monitor (HDMI)... and would not boot to HDD... "No Boot Device Found"... Tested RAM-ok... Tested HDD-ok... found evidence of a spill on the internal DVD... got suspicious... removed HDD and tested on other PC... Windows files all intact... Using Windows 10 DVD, installed WIN10 1608... still NO VIDEO on internal lcd screen... everything worked, including Keyboard and Touchpad... except LAN.... Device Manager shows LAN drivers installed... only shows basic video driver... Settings only shows 1 video (the external)........ i get a brief flicker on the edge of the lcd screen when i turn the pc on...

Replacement LCD is about $60 ..... Replacement MB available for $260....

Am i missing something ? should i try the replacment LCD.... or is the Motherboard cooked....

My guess was a short from a spill that knocked out the power button board initially.... thanks
rip it apart, carefully inspect the entire mobo, especially the back section from under the screen and look for goop or corrosion. clean up any if there is and see if it works.

Thanks again for the careful advice. i always get cautious..... so i took the advice and took the top apart.... can't believe it, but the video cable was slightly ajar !! there was tape on it... so i don't know if somebody replaced the lcd or not, but i pushed it in a bit more and YAY the screen works !!! Thanks again... always be careful when there is evidence of a spill...

Thanks again for the careful advice. i always get cautious..... so i took the advice and took the top apart.... can't believe it, but the video cable was slightly ajar !! there was tape on it... so i don't know if somebody replaced the lcd or not, but i pushed it in a bit more and YAY the screen works !!! Thanks again... always be careful when there is evidence of a spill...
lol I bet someone already tried to check inside and pulled it loose. glad you got it goin.

Back