No video on SuperMicro X7SPA-H-D525

The onboard VGA on this new SuperMicro X7SPA-H-D525 doesn't appear to be sending any signal to my monitor. The monitor works. I haven't yet been able to find other people describing this problem.
The manual has the following to say about it:
No Video
1. If the power is on, but you have no video--in this case, you will need to remove all the add-on cards and cables first.
2. Use the speaker to determine if any beep codes exist. (Refer to Appendix A for details on beep codes.)
3. Remove all memory modules and turn on the system. (If the alarm is on, check the specs of memory modules, reset the memory or try a different one.)

This did not help. The motherboard does not beep with the memory module in it. It does beep without any memory, or with an out-of-spec module in it. I only have the VGA cable connected, no disks, USB devices. This particular board does not have the jumper to enable/disable onboard video.

Does anyone have any idea of what to do?

Last edited:
For what it is worth, I did find someone that has the X7SPA-HF-D525 board (one extra character), who succesfully uses the exact same memory, according to the part number, KVR800D3S8S6/2G to be precise.
The memory is Kingston, which has it listed as compatible with my board, the X7SPA-H-D525.

Last edited:
Ordered a new memory module (this one also listed as being compatible with the motherboard), but no joy.
Currently trying to RMA it.

I lost one of these motherboards while transferring it from another machine. Before the motherboard worked just fine, but now it has no video or serial output. That's the condition which let me to this post.

So did you ever get another board?

I'll be replacing mine with the exact same model of motherboard. So far the few of these I ahve have worked fantastically.

Obviously it may be too late, but you should try and acquire the X7SPA-HF-D525 motherboard instead. On all the Supermicro boards, the presence of the "F" in the name indicates IPMI remote KVM capabilities. So you would be able to access the system remotely even if the video was down.

I lost one of these motherboards while transferring it from another machine. Before the motherboard worked just fine, but now it has no video or serial output. That's the condition which let me to this post.

So did you ever get another board?

I'll be replacing mine with the exact same model of motherboard. So far the few of these I ahve have worked fantastically.

They sent me the same board back, saying it worked fine.
I ordered several more modules until I found one that worked (I can look up the type number later).
The board functions properly now.

Obviously it may be too late, but you should try and acquire the X7SPA-HF-D525 motherboard instead. On all the Supermicro boards, the presence of the "F" in the name indicates IPMI remote KVM capabilities. So you would be able to access the system remotely even if the video was down.

Next time I will certainly get that board instead, but I was on a budget. Aaaaand then I had to order a whole bunch of memory modules to get it running... needless to say I went far over budget.

Anyway, the problem was that the memory modules were not being recognized. This is still confusing to me - I ordered these modules because they were listed as compatible and/or because I found posts from people who successfully used them.

Back