No sound through HDMI on 7970

Kraz

n00b
I have a Sapphire 7970, and had gone through tech support with them and was told to return the card for a replacement, and the replacement has the same exact problem. No sound through HDMI. If I open up my playback devices, I have the option to select the video card for my audio, but it won't let me set it as default, and has it listed as not plugged in.

I've tried almost everything I can think of to get it to work. I've disabled on board audio, I've reinstalled Realtek several times, used drive sweeper, different HDMI cables, etc. I've also tried multiple versions of the drivers, from what was on the disk, to the one's recommended, and also the 12.1 drivers, but with no luck. Reinstalling the Realtek drivers does give me sound, but only for a few minutes.

I have the card hooked into a receiver(an Onkyo TX-SR507), but haven't had problems with any other card, and video goes through with no problems at all.

The closets thing I can even think of right now, besides having the bad luck of getting a second faulty 7970 is that both my mobo(Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3), video card, and receiver all support Dolby Digital audio, and my mobo's audio drivers supposedly came with it, though if I go through and actually try to instal the drivers, I get an error about needing PCEE, but I don't see why not having that installed would be causing problems.

Either install a older driver or the most rescent one. Also a shot of driver cleaner get clean install of the drivers might help. Check if other user of the card have the same problems maybe on avs forums... i remember loosing HDMI audio two times with driver revision back when i had my 5850... but that case was a driver problem back then.

I just got a 7970 Friday and have been unable to get any HDMI Audio from my pc to my receiver.

I have tried 12.10, 13.1 and 13.2 beta. The HDMI icon on my receiver just blinks, it will not lock onto the signal.

Not quite the same situation but with my 6950 hooked directly to my TV using HDMI(audio goes from tv to receiver) I have to boot my computer with the TV on and my computer selected as the source or the set default button is greyed out for HDMI, you might try that with the receiver if you haven't already.

ok, I will test the order or powering on the receiver and PC tonight and report back.

What's your setup like, Are you using HDMI for video and audio or just audio and dvi/DP for video through the receiver?

I found the solution.

Apparently with the 7000 series they run in an ultra low power mode and this interference with your HDMI audio output. (I can hit info on my receiver and see it trying to connect to my 7970 and lock onto the audio stream, Video worked perfectly)

Some guy over at overclock.net posted the fix. There is no reason AMD should allow something like this to happen. When you buyu a new $400 video card and HDMI audio doesnt even work, something is wrong...

---------------Regedit Fix---------
Originally Posted by JeonjuHot
Hello. Im a korean user and Im not good at english. So. just interpret yourself.
I had a same problem as u guys.
I have 7950 and onkyo 707 receiver and after Ver. 12.3 audio drop had occured.
To solve this problem, I compared other drivers and found solution.

open regedit and find
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Video\{XXXX...}\0000
( 'XXXX' means device number. There are several device number folder and u should find 'AdapterDesc' in 0000 folder which key value is 'amd radeon HD 7XXX Series'. )

At that '0000' folder, Change 'PP_SclkDeepSleepDisable REG_DWORD' value 0 to 1.
and reboot~!~!~!

I solve this problem like this and hope to resolve the problem.
If it doesn't work, I don't know.!! bye

I have not tried hooking it up directly to my Tv but I would assume no.
To note, my clocks have not increased any in windows while idle or using my browser.

Back