No sleep till 50 Everquest

Comixbooks

Fully [H]

Nathan Napalm playing till he hits 50 current level 17 but I never played EQ just EQ2.

Last edited:
He is freeking crazy.

Thing is, modern progression servers on there are still using the modern XP and spell tables which are all much better and easier than they were 20 years ago.

But even if the leveling is easier, the content is absolutely fantastic.

Needs a level 50 druid or bard. Pretty sure I could PL an alt to 50 in a day like that

I haven't played EQ since the year it was released. I did get to level 50 as a wizard but I just can't image anyone leveling that far in a day. I only remember how it was during the original release year though and how hard it was to gain XP during the hell levels even with help from my guild to solo kill things. Then the long boring meditation where i had to sit to meditate staring at the spell book and chat screen, till they finally patched it so you just sit and at least watch the action going around to SLOWLY regain mana. I had some fun times like finding my way to Qeynos and getting lost in the city, finding a guild, doing raids, chatting with real people via their avatars, etc... but also terrible times with the time sinks like meditation, camping spawns to get equipment, loss of exp from dying during hell levels, having to go find your corpse in a maze to get back your stuff. EQ was the game that showed me I could really get addicted to a game enough to affect my real life. It made me swear off MMORPGS (and most other multiplayer games) for life.

They have addressed most of the cons.

Like the medding power gem. If you meditate for 30 seconds then you get 10 percent your mana every 6 seconds. So you can go from no man's to full in 2 minutes or less.

If you die you respawn with all your gear.

You can summon your corpse by npc for a Rez in a central safe place so you dont have to lose exp.

They removed hell levels.

Like the medding power gem. If you meditate for 30 seconds then you get 10 percent your mana every 6 seconds. So you can go from no man's to full in 2 minutes or less.

You can summon your corpse by npc for a Rez in a central safe place so you dont have to lose exp.

I also saw somewhere that you can use NPC companions ( i.e. Mercenaries) now, which would help with ability to solo some. It looks like you can only have 1 at a time though, so my old Rogue would probably have to debate between heals or tank.
Too bad EQ is so old and the community died down, as it could be fun to try it out again. PEQ / Customer servers are fun, but it can be a pain to run multiple instances of the game to try to 6-box, and they usually run older content

Gods I remember beta testing EQ back in the day. Levelled a cleric to 50 after launch and I can still remember the time someone traded me like 60 Peridots (way pricey gems back then) to rez him so he'd get back most of the XP he lost from dying.

Being a 50 cleric was very profitable. ;)

I'm amazed anyone can try to do such long runs like these though. My eyes are killing me after half a day, even with breaks to look away from the screen.

Raids back then were some hard core stuff though.....

Gods I remember beta testing EQ back in the day. Levelled a cleric to 50 after launch and I can still remember the time someone traded me like 60 Peridots (way pricey gems back then) to rez him so he'd get back most of the XP he lost from dying.

Being a 50 cleric was very profitable. ;)

I'm amazed anyone can try to do such long runs like these though. My eyes are killing me after half a day, even with breaks to look away from the screen.

Raids back then were some hard core stuff though.....
I both miss and don't miss those days of raiding. Stuff like breaking Fear, or some of the other raids were exciting, but man the amount of work and dedication to playing that was required back then... I just don't have the time for it any more.
I did have some fun a few years back, doing Nagafen and some of the other lower tier raid content on the custom servers, but i had 6 instances of EQ running and macro software so that I could do it by myself.

Reactions: Damar
like this

I think some of these things were actually beneficial to the game. Some of my most memorable moments in EQ were doing corpse runs - my own, or my group's. Not losing xps when getting killed removes the mechanic of having to get a friends PC to rez you.

My wife and I went back and played on a progression server during their 20th anniversary a couple of years ago. We had fun for a while. We did miss corpse runs though. Some of those "bad" game mechanics are actually what made you interact with other players. Specifically, I fondly remember "medding" between fights with P/U groups and having a lot of laughs as a result. That was the strong point of EQ's mechanics. I put you in a position to interact with strangers, and that was sometimes fun and rewarding.

Hell levels just plain sucked though.

I wish more MMORPGs were more like the old games. Shit should be hard. Nothing in the new MMORPGs gives you a feeling of achievement like back in the day.

I do not have the free time to put into something like I once did, especially not to just sit there and try to get into a group. New MMOs give the ability to solo a lot, which I like. It is raid and higher tier stuff that is group required, but there are often tools to find groups for those. I often miss EQ, but then think about if i were to go back and try to play now, I would end up never actually accomplishing anything in game.

I wish more MMORPGs were more like the old games. Shit should be hard. Nothing in the new MMORPGs gives you a feeling of achievement like back in the day.
There's a very good reason MMOs aren't like that anymore. It drives people away. The only way many of the old mechanics and setups can work is if the game is a second job. The amount of time and effort required is not something most people can do because they have lives outside the game.

Do most people feel completing something difficult is rewarding, sure. Do most people have the time and effort to spare for many of the older game mechanics? No. A sense of accomplishment is a great thing but mostly irrelevant if the accomplishment requires more time and effort than most people can put into it. 10k people playing what is basically hard mode is nowhere near as good for a company as 100k people playing a much easier game.

There's a very good reason MMOs aren't like that anymore. It drives people away. The only way many of the old mechanics and setups can work is if the game is a second job. The amount of time and effort required is not something most people can do because they have lives outside the game.

Do most people feel completing something difficult is rewarding, sure. Do most people have the time and effort to spare for many of the older game mechanics? No. A sense of accomplishment is a great thing but mostly irrelevant if the accomplishment requires more time and effort than most people can put into it. 10k people playing what is basically hard mode is nowhere near as good for a company as 100k people playing a much easier game.
I agree. While I miss it I know I don't have the time nor energy to play a mmorpg like that anymore. It was great when I was a teenager but not when I am pushing towards 40. I still feel they could do more with current games. Like FFxiv is just rehash update after update. They been following the Sam formula forever. After beating a salvage fight or ex I had no desire to do it again cause the gear means nothing. If I can beat it in a week with AH gear and nothing tougher comes out til next patch. The gear also gets completely replaced then. FFxi small but meaningfully progression. You know that pieces of gear you took months and even years to get meant something. When you actually had the best gear people were in awe of you and you held a high status and there were real communities there.

The other side to this is that when i try newer MMOs, i just do not get sucked in for very long. EQ I played for like 5 years, pretty hardcore. I did play WoW for a while after i finally burned myself out on EQ, but quit it after the expansion with Blood Elves. I have tried a few other MMOs through the years, but tired of them pretty quickly.

Is Lineage ][ still a thing? Try that. I played for a few years and holy hell that was a grind. I joined in one castle siege and that was absolutely nuts.

Back