No Skylake mini-ITX motherboards on launch?

DrRetina

Limp Gawd
Looks like ASUS, Gigabyte and MSI do not have mini-itx motherboards ready at launch.

I have checked some retailers and between the 3 manufactures only MSI has a mini-itx board listed, but with unknown shipping date and no product details (MSI Z170I GAMING PRO AC).

I'm still hoping Asrock will have one ready, but no information on their homepage yet, and no retailers have it listed yet.

Looks like an extremely slow Skylake start for us small system fans. :(

Last edited:
You are right. Mini-ITX motherboards are always lowest prioritisation for the manufacturers, it seems. Asus didn't even bother to showcase one yet.

I've already checked out of Skylake. Intel sucks without competition.

I've already checked out of Skylake. Intel sucks without competition.

I was really hoping we'd see PCI-e 4.0 with Skylake... I think that could have been a reason to upgrade. Somehow I think pressure from the ARM side of things might pressure Intel to pick up the slack one day.

"I am told by ASUS that these models are mostly likely going to be region focused so you might not find them everywhere in the world."

Thats not good. I was really hoping for an itx board at launch... I'm considering getting a 4790k now :/

I personally like the asrock boards. I think they do a good job with their motherboards. They used to be a subsidiary of Asus, but were sold off I believe. IMO, they are pretty much equals in terms of the quality of motherboards they make.

I'm also excited to see that Asrock seems to the supporting PCI-e bifurcation for ITX! Two GPUs on ITX! It doesn't seem that any other manufacturer is supporting this.

Also, any idea whether the Asrock ITX offering will support Alpine Ridge?

Too bad the Stinger lacks a lot of the things I wanted with Skylake, like usb 3.1 and type c.

Without usb 3.1 and with the non-existent improvement of ddr4 vs ddr3 (besides allowing 32gb over 2 sticks), I don't see why this is better than x99 or z97.

Last edited:
I'm also excited to see that Asrock seems to the supporting PCI-e bifurcation for ITX! Two GPUs on ITX! It doesn't seem that any other manufacturer is supporting this.

Also, any idea whether the Asrock ITX offering will support Alpine Ridge?

I'm so happy that I'm not the only person in the world psyched about PCIE Bifurcation. Wait til you see how I make it happen in my build log!

Also the EVGA Stinger mobo doesn't take long m.2 ssds like the SM951.

13-188-179-03.jpg

That m.2 card rises vertically out of the motherboard and as you can see, it looks like it only supports a 2230 or maybe 2242 (it's hard to tell for me) m.2 SSD.

The Gigabyte GA-Z170N-WIFI has shown up in a handful of retailers in the UK.

I was hoping to finally build a Mini-ITX system with Skylake, but not that impressed with Skylake tbh. (It's good, but not tempting enough to get me off Ivy Bridge)

Think I'll wait for Kaby Lake. Sounds like that's going to be Improved Skylake

I was hoping to finally build a Mini-ITX system with Skylake, but not that impressed with Skylake tbh. (It's good, but not tempting enough to get me off Ivy Bridge)

Think I'll wait for Kaby Lake. Sounds like that's going to be Improved Skylake

I'm thinking I'll probably end up waiting to even Cannonlake, unless Kaby Lake has PCI-e 4.0

I'm thinking I'll probably end up waiting to even Cannonlake, unless Kaby Lake has PCI-e 4.0

Cannon Lake was pushed back to 2017, just fyi.

I don't think pci-e 4.0 will matter, considering we don't even come close to maxing out pci-e 3.0 x16... or pci-e 2.0 x16 for that matter.

If I use my Crucial M500 M.2 that is Sata 3, how many lanes will I be using on lets say the Asrock Z170 ITX?

Back