No Power-On, PSU jumped or otherwise = Dead PSU?

Down8

2[H]4U
I am building a new machine (mid-ranger, minimal gaming, lots of storage for family "cloud"). My old machine is in my sig - it was built in 2011 or so. [Er, no sigs? Been away from [H] for so long....] Anyway, Corsair HX620W, Q9550/Gigabyte/DDR3/water-cooled/etc.

It has been in storage most of that time. And I did nothing to prepare it. Just boxed it up, still filled with water (didn't plan for it to stay in storage, but... life happens).

Now I am wanting to at least boot it up, to pull all my [very] old data off it, before I build the new rig. But, I was going to flush/fill the H2O loop by only running the Swiftech MCP655, before running it. As you can imagine, a lot of water has permeated the tubing.

Normally, I jump the PSU to run whatever I need to test w/o booting up. But that isn't working (paperclip in pins 3 & 4, or 4 & 5). Nothing happens. I went and re-plugged in everything, with the loop running into a bucket & planning to just kill the PSU switch as needed. But, still nothing.

Is my trusty HX620W done? Time for a new PSU before I even get the other parts in? I shouldn't need more wattage, so was hoping to save the $100+. Any trouble shooting tips for a PSU?

Thanks in advance,
-bZj

PXL_20230617_025603044.jpg

Last edited:
I would follow the same line of reasoning, especially if the fuse is still good (if your PSU has one where the IEC connector goes).

Normally, I jump the PSU to run whatever I need to test w/o booting up. But that isn't working (paperclip in pins 3 & 4, or 4 & 5). Nothing happens.

PS_ON is pin 16, not pin 4. Pin 16 to any ground pin, usually 15 or 17. Shorting the pins out you did is shorting the 5v rail to ground. You may have tripped one or more of the protection circuits. You'd have to unplug the PSU for up to a few minutes for it to reset.

XfJWS.jpg

If it's still not turning on, unplug the PSU again and check the various power rails to ground with a multimeter to see if anything is shorted out. Not uncommon for old caps or mosfets to go short and prevent power on.

This issue ended up being a lack of load on the PSU. I had forgeotten that this model needs something on the rails to work at all. It's now happily powering a R5 5600G/Tomahawk2 that will become a server.

-bZj

Back