No POST/Video

visionviper

[H]ard|Gawd
Ok, so I have had a bit of a renewed desire to overclock my setup (in sig) since I have a GTX 470 on the way. Got 2GHz FSB/3.5GHz CPU/DDR2-1000 stable which was really awesome. I wanted to see if I might be able to squeeze out another 100MHz. Well, The computer failed to boot and did the normal starting to boot, turning off, rebooting that it usually does if you push and overclock too far. Except this time the computer never came back.

I hooked up a speaker to the motherboard to see if there were any error codes being thrown and nothing. I noticed that all of the fans connected to the motherboard seemed to be getting power in lumps (the LEDs are flickering a bit) with no difference being made if they are connected to the motherboard or to the power supply.

Now I did disconnect the PCIE power connectors from my 800GX to see if I could get the computer to throw a code and it did, so the motherboard seems to be at least partially working. I also removed the CMOS battery for both a short and long (1.5hr) time and it didn't change anything.

Is the problem with my power supply? Did I accidentally kill my motherboard? When I removed my video card to get to the battery did I somehow accidentally break something?

I don't really have any other power supplies I could use to test. I have one in my HTPC that has the connectors I need but not the amount of power I need (would it be fine as long as I didn't actually try doing anything?). I am just looking for more options to narrow down my issue.

Last edited:
Well first and foremost, follow the steps in the stickied "Basic Troubleshooting Guide" o what to do when the PC does not POST. Report back once you've done all those steps.

Also what PSU does your HTPC have?

Well first and foremost, follow the steps in the stickied "Basic Troubleshooting Guide" o what to do when the PC does not POST. Report back once you've done all those steps.

Also what PSU does your HTPC have?

I've done what I can so far already short of taking out the motherboard. I may or may not have a PSU to swap in. Swapped the RAM. I can swap the video card come Thursday.

It's an Enermax EES400AWT_II if I remember correctly.

Try that Enermax and see what happens. It won't kill the PC AFAIK.

Confirmed power supply issue. I swapped in my HTPC power supply and I got the desktop to boot. I was kinda leaning towards this because of the light flickering I was seeing.

(Just to double confirm I reconnected the old power supply and still nothing)

Well time for a new PSU then! I recommend this PSU:
$90 - Corsair 650TX 650W PSU

Unlike your GameXStream 700W, that Corsair can actually provide 650W of power under real world conditions safely whereas the GameXStream 700W could only provide 500W under real world conditions safely.

Well time for a new PSU then! I recommend this PSU:
$90 - Corsair 650TX 650W PSU

Unlike your GameXStream 700W, that Corsair can actually provide 650W of power under real world conditions safely whereas the GameXStream 700W could only provide 500W under real world conditions safely.

I decided on a SeaSonic X-750 as my replacement. I was considering the Corsair AX-850 but I was already going to be spending more than I should and I don't really ever plan on a SLI/CFX setup anyways.

I decided on a SeaSonic X-750 as my replacement. I was considering the Corsair AX-850 but I was already going to be spending more than I should and I don't really ever plan on a SLI/CFX setup anyways.

Good choice.

Back