No Limited Warranty on a retail box WD hard drive??

djgrfx

n00b
I bought 2 Western Digital SE 100 GB hard drives from bestbuy in January of 2003. I had them running in raid-0 when they both powered down permanantly. I went to WD's website to check warranty status on these drives, first drive came up under warranty until 2006, second drive shows up as NO LIMITED WARRANTY?? Which means its tagged as OEM or something. I Still have the retail boxes and reciepts, both of these were retail SE drives with 3 year warranty labeled right on the box. Anybody have any experiences similar to this? Any suggestions on course of action? I will be calling WD tommorrow. Thanks.

Anytime I've dealt with WD, they've had excellent customer support. Explain exactly what you told us. When you can provide receipts, they just about have to replace them. But mention when and where you got them, and all that you kept.

hmm. from what I'm aware of, WD offers only 1 year warranty on retail hard drives..

Pretty odd.

I guess maybe it was 3 years, but now they changed it... Oh well.

Originally posted by enyceexdanny
hmm. from what I'm aware of, WD offers only 1 year warranty on retail hard drives..

Pretty odd.

I guess maybe it was 3 years, but now they changed it... Oh well.
1 year for regular. 3 for SE

3 years for oem se, 1 year for all retail drives(including se). It sucks but I've never had a problem with a wd drive.

Originally posted by jpmkm
3 years for oem se, 1 year for all retail drives(including se). It sucks but I've never had a problem with a wd drive.

All 3 of my retail WD SE drives have three year warranties. I am not sure about my Raptors, but I believe they have either 3 year or 5 year.

Originally posted by djnes
All 3 of my retail WD SE drives have three year warranties. I am not sure about my Raptors, but I believe they have either 3 year or 5 year.
WD changed it recently on the retail SE drives. If the drive came with a three year warranty then it still has it, but their website says that the drives are now being sold with a one year warranty.

I called WD and gave him the serial number and it showed up under warranty, the tech said that the online database isnt always up to date on warranty status or something to that effect. That seems a little odd to me, but whatever, my new drives are on the way. Thanks guys.

Back