No GUI?

Sc0rched

Gawd
Ok I installed AMD64 Mandrake 9.2 on my HD. However, I only seem to get the UNIX terminal, which dont get me wrong thats one of the reasons I got linux, but I would like to get the GUI for the use of apps. Is there a command I need to put in, did i do somthing wrong? I get a GUI when selecting what I want to boot, windows, floppy, linux, linux-non??, and one more I forget. Please HELP!

Yes I did, I selected everything, but the things under server... Do I need to go and repair and make sure its installed?

mandrake is supposed to be a GUI-only operating system, or they try to be. imo it fails, but that's me.

anyway, does entering the command kdm produce you with a login screen? if not, what about gdm? or does startx bring up the default desktop? i can't help with startup scripts, mandrake is so outrageously out of standards...

Radeon 9800XT <---- This is the problem.

Every other day I read about someone using MDK 9.2 with this card and having no GUI. Roll back to 9.0, or try a different distro. I've stumbled on this problem many times, but have never found an easy solution.

Back